Pakistan Travel Answers

change location
Holywood07's Profile Photo

What to bring to an invitation

by Holywood07 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM

We are invited to a pakistan family for lunch. They live outside Pakistan for several years now (lived in US and Europe). We would like to surprise them in a real pakistany way but have no clue what the tradition says.

Can we bring something, do we need to behave in a for us unkonwn way? What is polite, what especially not? How can we most probably surprise them in a good way or just make them happy?

Thanks for really traditional and other good hints :)

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • robine's Profile Photo

Re: What to bring to an invitation

by robine Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Not particularly "traditional", but in my experience (and depending, of course, upon the family) a bottle of Scotch would be more than welcome!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Bokhari76's Profile Photo

by Bokhari76 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM

There are so many things which a guest can bring along.

1. My first priority would be some traditional Pakistani sweet. So if you have any Indian/Pakistani Sweet Shop nearby. You can ask for "Cham Cham", "Halwa", "Barfi" or "Mixed Sweets" Box.
    2. if sweets are not available, Chocolates could be given specially if they have children.
    3. Flower Bouquet is another common & ever green option.
    4. You can purchase some small decoration piece like vase etc.
    5. Sometimes we gift traditional "Shawls" also called "Ajrak" to them.

In my openion gifts are token of love. They are not judget by their worth or nature. So don't worry. Whatever you bring there. They are surely going to like it.

2 members found this helpful

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo

by Mozumbus Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM

A personalized gift is usually the best option but hardest at the same time because then one must know each other well enough. So if this is a family with young kids then chocolates will do that. traditional sweets, if they can be arranged easily, will be a great idea as mentioned above by Bukhari, even if this is not a young kid family. If this is a newly wed family then things like a pair of perfumes will be very personal and positive. And if this is a settled family, I mean with grown up kids, then I will take some decoration piece for the house. Also, if you can manage something special belonging to your culture, especially a house decoration piece, then it will get most attention, imo.. Apart from the gift, a couple of greetings in the local language - mostly Urdu - will give them a great positive surprise. So instead of thank-you you may like to say "shukree-ya". you can use Urdu words quite comfortably while talking in English, e.g. "Shukree-ya for the invitation", and so on.. "Kia Haal Hain?" is for "How are you doing" While talking to each other most Pakistanis keep repeating "Aur Kia Haal Hain" and "Aur Sunao". Aur Sunao = tell something, i.e. how are things...

2 members found this helpful

• Holywood07's Profile Photo

by Holywood07 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Thanks for your advices! Really appreciate it :) I think we'll find something from that. We have some awesome local chocolate factories here in Switzerland ;)

Be the first to rate this answer!

• besal's Profile Photo

by besal Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM

If there is a good Pakistani or Indian store selling traditional sweets, I would suggest get "habshi halwa". However it doesn't matter what you take as a gift, it's the thought that counts.

And bottle of scotch :) well maybe if they are not teetotalar, they would definetly like that.

• imranthetrekker's Profile Photo

by imranthetrekker Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Bonjour from Islamabad,

A box of chocolates from US.
    A box of local sweets inside Pakistan from a famous bakery.

Bon voyage ,

• imranthetrekker's Profile Photo

Sometimes they could even prefer some very good wine, that's another a very precious gift.

by imranthetrekker Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM

imranthetrekker wrote:

Bonjour from Islamabad,

A box of chocolates from US. A box of local sweets inside Pakistan from a famous bakery.

Bon voyage ,

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Pakistan Travel Answer Locations