Pai Travel Answers

change location
dakgrl's Profile Photo

drugs

by dakgrl Online Now Jun 10, 2008 at 4:08 AM

Is there a big drug problem in Pai? Is it true they do random drug tests on tourists? Would like to know the crowd/atmosphere before i go.

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bulldogtwo's Profile Photo

Re: drugs

by bulldogtwo Online Now Jun 10, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Where in the world did you hear that??? NO. How could the police make you do that? All it would take is one tourist to undergo the police MAKING Them take a drug test and not another tourist would ever go near Pai, maybe even anywhere north. Not to mention that Pai is not the only place to get drugs should one want them. Bangkok and all points south have just as much, many drugs as the north does. Somebody is pullin your leg.
    However, should you get caught with any drugs while in Thailand and you of course are subject to their laws and they can be harsh. You get arrested, a consular officer will visit you to see that you are still alive and treated decently and then say, BYE! Thought I should mention that considering you would be duped to believe and ask the question!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dakgrl's Profile Photo

by dakgrl Online Now Jun 10, 2008 at 9:44 AM

I actually read it somewhere- twice. But thanks for clearing it up.

• Re: drugs

by emilyc23 Online Now Jul 4, 2008 at 2:49 AM

I read that too. Is it easy to find cannabis/opium IF one was that way inclined???

• bulldogtwo's Profile Photo

by bulldogtwo Online Now Jul 4, 2008 at 9:18 AM

Yes it is easy to find. But you always run the risk of scams being run on you. Such as, someone will offer or you'll ask someone that you THINK you may trust, they'll sell it to you and the next thing you know is the police will come calling on you. Remember, your rights and the police search and seizsure laws are different. They don't need to ask to search your person, room etc. Maybe this is where these rumours came from. Unless you live there and know people you will always run that risk. Not worth it if you ask me, but there are hundreds in Thai prisons who thought they knew better. At the very least you'd have a hefty fine and probably pronounced persona non gratis, which for me, in of itself would be punishment enough.
    As always, know the laws, know your rights in each country that you visit. Not knowing them is no excuse for doing something that you probably already know is wrong. Remember, these countries have a great deal of political pressure placed on them from the west, US, to stamp out drugs in their country. The locals may use opiates, particularly in the north, but the police take a dim view on foreigners doing it. Double standard to be sure but who can blame them.
    good luck, be safe, and have fun

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines