Padova Travel Answers

change location

Need help finding a place to stay while visiting Venice!

by micheleflo Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I am looking for a decent place to stay, without spending too much, and am not sure what area around Venice would be good. All of the accomodations in Venice are sold out and I have 6 people to find rooms for. We are coming in 3 days early for a cruise on June 3rd. The Sheraton in Padova has a good rate but I'm not sure how much effort it will take to get there from the VCE airport and then into Venice. Does anybody have advice on a hotel/b&b or even which town to stay in? Hotel rooms are also available in Mestre. I can use ANY HELP I can get!!! Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Need help finding a place to stay while visiting Venice!

by leics Online Now Apr 29, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Mestre is your best bet, imo. It is an easy 10-15 minute bus ride over the causeway to Venice proper, or an even quicker train ride, so it would be by far the best option. Anywhere further would require much more time taken in travelling and you would be restricted by last train times (you can always take taxis to Mestre).

Whilst you are waiting for specific recommendations I suggest you look at www.booking.com and www.venere.com (which lists almost all Italian hotels). Both are entirely reliable sites with good mapping and rates almost always lower than hotels' own websites, neither will take any money from you as long as you turn up.

You can find train times, details and fares from Mestre (and from anywhere else) in English here:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

No need to buy any tickets online in advance. Ticket machines are easy to use and have English language options.

Mestre is served by direct airport buses from Marco Polo airport. Information, timetable and fares in English here:

atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&ar...

Again, no need to buy tickets in advance.

For anywhere else you would first need to get to Mestre and then travel onward by train.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SallyM's Profile Photo

Re: Need help finding a place to stay while visiting Venice!

by SallyM Online Now Apr 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Yes, Mestre is probably your best option, if your primary purpose is to spend time in Venice.

Another possibility with plenty of hotels is Lido di Jessolo. This is a holiday resort. It takes about an hour and ten minutes to get into Venice from there, by bus then ferry (but it's very easy and you can buy a combined ticket from hotel reception).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines