Padirac Travel Answers

change location
SandiM's Profile Photo

From Rocamadour/Padirac train station...

by SandiM Online Now Dec 28, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Can one hire a taxi at this train station to visit both Rocamadour as well as the Padirac Cave (gouffre)? Approximate cost each way? Telephone numbers or websites? We plan to stay a couple nights in Rocamadour, but haven't chosen the hotel yet so I can't ask them about it yet until we choose. Also, we don't drive.

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: From Rocamadour/Padirac train station...

by gwened Online Now Dec 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM

not driving in the area cuts down on sights but it can be done if you want.
    i drive my car but here is some info
    rocamadour.com/fr/108/pages/...
    taxi herbert seems the one to ask
    hope it helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Dec 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM

It does, thank you! I also want to organize a 1/2 day trip to Saint Cirq Lapopie, but that one I could find an easy bus route from Cahors to go visit it. Rocamadour was different since it seems to be about 3km from the train station and the cave is even farther & in the other direction. But, since I am not a good driver (seriously, terrible!) I'd rather take public transport.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Dec 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I understand, the road are glorious thus, but heck I am a road warrior. HOpe the link helps

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Dec 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM

http://liondor-rocamadour.com/en/

We drove so can't help with transport. You might check the hotel above. It's the Hotel du Lion d'Or and is right inside the main portal to Rocamadour. You won't find a better location and you can walk everyplace from there. There is also a free shuttle service to take you down the hill to the bus stop. It's really a small train to shuttle visitors from parking up to the town but it works any way you want to use it.

You will love the area; it is just spectacular. You might consider hiring a driver for a day just to see some off the beaten track sights.

Just a thought.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Dec 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

It's a great thought! Where do I start looking for a car & driver?

by Beausoleil Online Now Dec 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

To be safe, I would start at the local Tourist Bureau. I think gwened gave you the link above, but you can type Rocamadour into the VT or Google search windows to get it.

It is fabulous; you'll love it. We were just there in September.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Dec 28, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Was it busy? I'm wanting to shoot the church built in the rock with as few people in the shot as possible, so I'm thinking maybe early a.m.? The little train, where does it start and where does it end? I recall seeing the website (in French and I'm chagrined to say that as a Canadian my knowledge of the French language leaves a lot to be desired...). Can you recall how far of a walk it was from the bottom to the top? I see by the map it squiggles up. We are planning to stay at the Hotel Du Roc, which is lower down, I believe. Lastly, is it better to shoot the town entire at sunset, midday, or sunrise for the best ambience. I wish I could catch a hot air balloon ride but I think it was in September only? Anyway, thanks for the tips!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Dec 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM

unfortunately thats an area that is close to family to the south of it ,so I always take the car, its cheaper for us. Public transport you need to ask the tourist office or city hall govt.
    http://www.rocamadour.com/
    tourist office

and city hall
    http://www.mairierocamadour.fr/

on the right column you have email and fax number to contact the mayor's office
    mairierocamadour.fr/fr/infor...

Hope it helps your planning.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Dec 29, 2011 at 4:44 AM

There is virtually no public transport in the general area of Rocamadour. What few buses there are you can find on this web page

lot.fr/documents/guide_horai...

Train times

ter-sncf.com/Regions/Midi_Py...

click on 'Fiches Horaires' and select the line you want or enter a station name in the search box.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Dec 29, 2011 at 4:44 AM

There is virtually no public transport in the general area of Rocamadour. What few buses there are you can find on this web page

lot.fr/documents/guide_horai...

Train times

ter-sncf.com/Regions/Midi_Py...

click on 'Fiches Horaires' and select the line you want or enter a station name in the search box.

by Beausoleil Online Now Dec 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM

"Was it busy?" Yes, there were hundreds of tourists and we were out of season. However, they are mostly on the shopping streets at the mid-point going up. There were tourists at the pilgrimage sites but not so many. I'd think going in the morning would be excellent.

"The little train, where does it start and where does it end?" The little train starts down in the parking lot by the river. It stops right outside the main gate, then again at the next gate. We got off there so I'm not sure where it goes next, but it goes up and down regularly to ferry people from the town to their cars parked down at the river.

"Can you recall how far of a walk it was from the bottom to the top?" There are four levels, (1) parking by the river, (2) the main shopping area with hotels and restaurants and an elevator to (3) the sanctuary level and then an escalator to (4) the chateau level. We took the elevator to the sanctuary level because we didn't realize there were stairs if we continued further down the main shopping street. These are the stairs pilgrims used to climb on their knees. We did not take the escalator to the chateau level because the walk up the hill is the Stations of the Cross and we wanted to see all of them. There is also a huge chapel carved into a cave near the top that is a must-see. If you can't handle the walk up, take the escalator and walk down past the Stations of the Cross and the chapel. Since we were taking photos on the way up, I'm not sure of the time. It's not far and could probably be done in 15 or 20 minutes.

"Lastly, is it better to shoot the town entire at sunset, midday, or sunrise for the best ambience." It was very cloudy and rained a little the day we were there so I'm not sure where the sun was. Looking at the map, it appears the town is exposed to the east so I suspect sunrise to early morning would give you the most dramatic lighting. I got pretty dramatic photos on a rainy day so you shouldn't have to worry too much on that account. It is very dramatic in any circumstance. I hope someone who is not so directionally challenged as I will give you better advice on lighting. Enjoy your trip.

by Beausoleil Online Now Dec 29, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I

by Beausoleil Online Now Dec 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Sorry. I just checked and the little train is not free. You can get a single ticket for 2.50 euros or round-trip ticket for 3.50 euros. I was snapping pictures while my husband was paying for tickets so the price escaped me. He has corrected me and I apologize for the misinformation to you.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Dec 30, 2011 at 5:56 AM

That's amazing information, and I thank you! Knowing the lay of the land beforehand so that we can just enjoy the scenery better without having to bother with how we get around is a major plus for our trip. Thank you again!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines