Pacific Grove Travel Answers

change location

Transportation from Pacific Grove, CA to Newport Beach, CA

by tem205 Online Now Jun 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Hi
I am hoping to visit a friend in Pacific Grove, CA and then meet my husband in Newport Beach, CA a few days later when he is done with his business trip.
I am not a huge fan of buses...any ideas at all? I can be adventurous as necessary. My friend will drive me a bit out of Pacific Grove- but don't want to ask much of her at all. thanks for ANY help!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

Re: Transportation from Pacific Grove, CA to Newport Beach, CA

by brotherleelove Online Now Jun 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM

PG isn't very far from Salinas where you can catch the Amtrak Train to Los Angeles, and from there I'm sure you can find a bus or shuttle that will take you the rest of the way. She could also drive you to a bus stop in Monterey where you can catch a bus to Salinas.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Jun 20, 2011 at 4:17 PM

You can contact Orbitz or US Airways and fly from Monterey, CA (MRY)(next door to Pacific Grove) to Orange County, CA (SNA) John Wayne Airport. The airport is about 8 miles from Newport Beach. Cost factor can be as low as140 to fly. If not able to drive a vehicle from Pacific Grove to Newport Beach, that is the way I would go. :-)

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 5:53 AM

As the above posters note, if you don't want to take the bus, you can drive yourself, fly, or take Amtrak.

If you take Amtrak, you can get a train to Irvine, which is about 9 miles from Newport Beach. (This involves changing trains at LA.) Amtrak also offers bus service from Monterey (next to Pacific Grove) to Salinas, where you can pick up the train. The whole trip is very long, almost 13 hours, which is kind of nuts since driving would take half that time.

As for flying, there are no nonstops from Monterey to Orange County airport, which is very close to Newport Beach. You'll have to change planes at LAX, or else just fly to LAX and drive about an hour to Newport Beach.

• Badger1492's Profile Photo

by Badger1492 Online Now Jun 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM

My choices, as described above, would be:

1. fly
    2. rent a car one-way
    3. car-bus-train-bus

#3 would be a long, tiring day. Public transport in CA is not very efficient or well-connected. It can be done, but takes a lot of planning and patience.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 8:00 AM

If you can get to San Luis Obispo, there is one train a day that goes from there through Los Angeles to Irvine once per day early in the morning. This avoids you having to change from a bus to a train or from having to change trains in Los Angeles, but it means a really early start in the morning.

There are a few other options from Salinas that involve an intercity bus (not a city bus, but something designed for longer distance travel) to a train. For example, you can take a bus from Salinas (8:45 am) to Santa Barbara (5 hours, 1:45 pm) and then a train to Irvine (6:15 pm).

The bus and train are designed to interconnect, and the tickets for either are purchased on the Amtrak web site. You just enter Salinas and Irvine into the Amtrak web site, enter the date you want to travel, and it gives you a list of the various options.

The route by rail south of San Luis Obispo is quite scenic and goes through a few areas that can not be seen by road (for example, the area around Vandenberg Air Force Base has a large amount of essentially undisturbed native coastal scenery). So, the route entirely by train is a bit slower, but if you can get a seat on the ocean side of the train it may be a more interesting trip. If you are unable get a seat on the Ocean side of the train, you can also try finding a seat in the diner or lounge car for a while.

by Badger1492 Online Now Jun 27, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Hello Tem205,
    Are our suggestions good? What do you think? Hello?

Everyone else,
    Tem205 hasn't signed in since he/she posted this question.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 5:39 AM

Not surprising. It happens all the time with new posters. Hopefully the information we gave will be useful to someone, someday.

by travelgourmet Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Maybe the poster was satisfied with the answers before he/she left. ;-)

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Some people ask questions expecting an immediate response, and seem to get annoyed when it takes more than a few minutes to get a response.

Many others seem to read the responses without logging in.

by Badger1492 Online Now Jul 5, 2011 at 7:01 AM

rude.

by travelgourmet Online Now Jul 5, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I say that if a poster does not respond to someone's reply, well, they just don't know the etiquette of VT, especially a newbie. Works the same way with the ratings. ;-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines