Ouro Prêto Travel Answers

change location
Traveler-from-NY's Profile Photo

Getting Ouro Preto from Rio. What are my Options?

by Traveler-from-NY Online Now Nov 16, 2008 at 6:36 AM

I will be in Rio in January 2009, and I would like to see Ouro Preto. What are my options for getting there? I have read about a bus that goes overnight, but are there any faster ways? Train, maybe a private motorcoach? Thanks for your help.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: Getting Ouro Preto from Rio. What are my Options?

by cachaseiro Online Now Nov 16, 2008 at 7:09 AM

you have no trains from rio to ouro preto.

a private coach is possible, but very expensive.

you can fly to belo horizonte and then drive from the to ouro preto, but i don't really think you can save any time that way.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Getting Ouro Preto from Rio. What are my Options?

by cassiovieggore Online Now Nov 16, 2008 at 9:08 AM

The best way to go to Ouro Preto from Rio de Janeiro is by Belo Horizonte.
    The route Rio--> Belo Horizonte may be carried out by bus or plane. If you're in a rush land in Pampulha Airport and then get a couch (van/car) to Ouro Preto. There are some tour companies specialized in conveying tourists from Pampulha to Ouro Preto. I am sending some links concerned in this subject:

tourguidebrazil.com/translad...

tourguidebrazil.com/contatos...

Cassio Pinto Viegas

• bahiana77's Profile Photo

Re: Getting Ouro Preto from Rio. What are my Options?

by bahiana77 Online Now Nov 16, 2008 at 9:30 AM

There are few passenger trains in Brazil. It's bus or plane.

Also keep in mind that Ouro Preto is only one of a number of Colonial towns, most located pretty close to one another in the mountains of Minas Gerais, that are worth visiting.

So, you can fly from Rio to Belo Horizonte, as the folks above have suggested (to Pampulha airport, which is in the city, or to the int'l airport on the outskirts).
    Then the bus trip (from the rodoviaria/bus station in the center of town) to Ouro Preto is about 2 hours.

Another option is to take a bus from Rio to Sao Joao del Rei (about 5 1/2 hours), which is kind of on the way. Stop there to see that historic city and to take the steam train (Maria Fumaca) to the charming town of Tiradentes nearby and ride a charette (horse-cart) around the village. From Sao Joao del Rei, take the bus to Ouro Preto (about 4 hours).

Happy travels.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines