Oulu Travel Answers

change location
gubbi1's Profile Photo

Something comparable to swedish Lucia?

by gubbi1 Online Now Nov 29, 2007 at 5:42 AM

Hi there!
Is there something comparable to the Swedish Lucia in Finland? I will be in Oulu the 13th of December and just curious if you celebrate the day aswell.
Thanks! Christian.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • WanderingFinn's Profile Photo

Re: Something comparable to swedish Lucia?

by WanderingFinn Online Now Nov 29, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Hi,

Yes, St. Lucia's Day is celebrated nowadays also in Finland, though it is not such an old tradtion here as e.g. in Sweden, and in Swedish speaking families and schools etc. in western Finland.
    The tradition has anyhow spreaded also to purely Finnish speaking places. In the majority of the schools the "Miss Lucia" will be chosen; she will be given the candle-thing to carry on his head and a white dress. Usually (not always) the girl is blonde and nice-looking. Even nurseries or basic school children choose their Lucias.

Then this Lucia, with other girls behind her, walks, holding with a candle, and sings (yes the Lucia to be chosen has to be able to sing) the famous old traditional Italian song (in Finnish or Swedish).

On the streets it's harder to see things related to this tradition; nor in restaurants. Schools, associations etc. are the thing you should get into. Or ask the locals; I'm sure they'll help.

If you are interested in the -even quite dark- history of this tradition, please see link
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_....

Happy St. Lucy's Day to you!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gubbi1's Profile Photo

Re: Something comparable to swedish Lucia?

by gubbi1 Online Now Nov 29, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have been to church once on Lucia day and it was a pretty nice evening. Happy Lucia to you as well :)
    Take care, Christian.

• Re: Something comparable to swedish Lucia?

by HelenaK Online Now Nov 30, 2007 at 5:01 AM

Hi there, there is indeed a Lucia celebration in Oulu, which in the past at least has been available to see for the public at the Town Hall and in other various places on the 13th. The town's Lucia is selected from the Swedish speaking school in the town (Svenska Privatskolan or SPSU for short). I was one of those candidates myself back in my early days when I went to school there. I now no longer live in Finland but I have heard that they have kept up the tradition at my school.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines