Ouarzazate Travel Answers

change location
mockle's Profile Photo

Bus times from Ouarzazate to Marrakesh

by mockle Online Now Nov 2, 2008 at 6:54 AM

hello all

I hope someone knows the answer to my question.

My partner and I are travelling late December (the week before Christmas) to Morocco.

Our itinerary is to set off from Marrakesh by bus to Ouarzazate and then hire a car to travel from Ouarzazate to the Draa valley, Dades gorge etc.

We have travelled to Morocco several times before but never in that region. I am aware that Supratours run to Ouarzazate from Marrakesh as do CTM.

I have the time details for leaving but I really need to time travel details for setting back off from Ouarzazate to Marrakesh. I need those details in order to pre-book the car hire, most car hire companies require a time of pick up which I cannot give at the moment.

These are the details that I have for the outward journey, but I need the return times.

CTM :: leaves 11am – arrives 3pm or leaves 4pm and arrives at 8.30pm (2 journeys a day)

Supratours :: leaves 2pm – arrives 8pm

Notice how Supratours take a lot longer to get there...

Many thanks for all your input, I realise that this is a frequently asked question.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Bus times from Ouarzazate to Marrakesh

by angiebabe Online Now Nov 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Hi, why are you wanting to hire your car from Ouarzazate rather than Marrakech? A number of reasons why I would rent from Marrakech - Ive rented from Ouarzazate as I do have connections who deal with these areas -
    1. there are more cars available in Marrakech so prices and quality are better - there is much more competetion
    2. the route from Marrakech to Ouarzazate is, to me!!, one of the most beautiful in Morocco! and has fantastic sights along the way for fantastic photo opportunities - and you are preferring to be stuck in a bus!?

Have you done this stretch - I do not that you say youve been to Morocco before - have you stopped for the views from TizinTichka? and have you been in to see Telouet with its Glaoui kasbha, once the headquarters of the Glaoui rulers of the south, and the beautiful valleys through to Tasgha, Anmiter and Tigzha?
    have you seen the beautiful stretch of road once you back on the main road from the Telouet turnoff heading for Ighrem and on to Ouarzazate but with Ait Benhaddou before you get there. (I once took 4 hours to do this road from Telouet as I was free on my own to stop for all the photos I finally wanted without anyones interuption - on a stretch that usually only takes an hour and a bit).

ARe you using a local company or going through an international company. Moroccan agencies are actually quite flexible and Ive rented a lot of cars. Even just with the hassle of having to hassle prices to get from the airport into town it can be worth getting a car to pick you up from the airport and do a deal right from then.

Let me know if you do need any info or help, and I would recommmend a visit to my Telouet, Anmiter and Morocco pages for a bit of a look at the areas Ive recommended!

All the best.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Nov 3, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Great answer Angie, I just popped in to say the same thing but you had already been in.

• mockle's Profile Photo

by mockle Online Now Nov 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Hello Angie

Thank you for your input. To be completely honest, I would love to do so, but our tight schedule does not allow it. We have a total of 5 days which is really in travelling terms not a lot.

The first and last day being spent in Marrakesh. I have travelled a lot in Morocco before but never that stretch, this is one of the ones that I am missing, but the little holiday in December is merely a taster and preparatory for a bigger and longer holiday in the region next year (could not do longer this time due to tight holiday time allowance schedule)as well as getting my partner accustomed as he has never been to Morocco.

I have found out the times out however going and coming back also, for anyone interested, you can call the Bureau du Tourisme Marocain in London and also go on the ONCF website, they have evolved over the last 2 years and now even have a timetable.

The reason for taking the bus is simply because:
    a) it makes it cheaper, as I am getting a very good rate with discount from one of the car hire companies, also not counting the added cost of petrol!
    b) I don't fancy driving a car through the narrow pass, with possible high winds and even more possible snow.
    and finally c) as mentioned before this is merely a taster break

The itinerary is so far:
    Day1: spend the day in marrakesh, book bus
    Day2: get bus to Ouarzazate early morning, arrive lunch time. Pick up hire car and drive to Ait benhadou and all the way to Skoura, possibly drive a little further if time and daylight allows. Drive back to Ouarzazate or somewhere close by to sleep
    Day3: drive to Zagora, stopping en route at all the interesting paces, go to Tamegroute ( as I love their pottery), go to Dunes de Tinfou...if time allows again drive all the way to M'hamid and try to see more dunes.
    Day4: drive back slowly, enjoying more of the scenery and stopping where we want, sleep in Ouarzazate
    Day5: take bus back to Marrakesh, sleep in our favourite riad before going back home the next day on an early flight.

As you can see it is already really packed with little available time to fit in more, as much as I would really like to see more, it would be impossible. I am planning to see a lot more next year, as I will have 3.5 weeks there.

Than you all for your help

• earthflyer's Profile Photo

by earthflyer Online Now Nov 3, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I agree with Angiebabe why go by bus, the scenery is fantastic up in the mountains.

I did this did this region last year and took the bus back and forth to Marrakesh and regret now that i never learned how to drive.

Have many photos on this region on my VT pages have a look.

by angiebabe Online Now Nov 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM

If you are saying you are pushed/have little time Id even more say a car is best from Marrakech - a car does what a bus done in half the time that journey and if youre saying well you save a night by travelling overnight in the bus then you are missing fantastic scenery when you can get it by car.

there are my favourite places to stay at Telouet - see my tips there esp for Jackies HOuse - and then onto Ait Benhadou - no having to go to Ouarzazate and then back tracking - and then on to Skoura if you wish or on to Dades which is how I would do it - and Todra too perhaps and then you could go on to Rissani and then the circuit to the Draa Valley through Nkob - but otherwise yes see some sights of Skoura but if you are going to go down the Draa valley from Ouarzazate and you are in a hurry then dont go to Skoura - you will plenty of kasbahs, which is the main reason for Skoura, along the Draa valley - the first on the left past Agdz you come to heading south is Tamnougalte - the fortress is up on the hill - if you go up there there are guardians and guides waiting at the entrance (keeping an eye out for it and also available to guide you if you wish - around the fortress and then around the old kasbah village of Tamnougalte - i got a guide and found it very good value for money but at the end dont let them try to overcharge you)

then I recommend Riad Malal on the way to Zagora 17km before it - built onto the front of an excellent old kasbah that you can tour around and great views of the huge palmeraie in the valley behind.

I enjoyed seeing the Tinfou - just a big dune in the middle of a valley - wouldnt spend time goingmuch past there unless you really would like to go to Mhamid at the end of the road which I did enjoy though.
    I would though say go
    from the Dades Gorge when i recommend a bit previuosly to go there and then on to Rissanni - drive half an hour out to Merzouga where you will see the huge dunes of the sahara desert there and then drive back out to Rissanni and out the road to Nkob and Zagora and back on up to Ouarzazate and Marrakech.

you can do all that in 5 days. also because buses just take longer and cars save time (though might entice you to see more and stop more and take longer that way!)

bye for now,

by angiebabe Online Now Nov 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM

If you are saying you are pushed/have little time Id even more say a car is best from Marrakech - a car does what a bus done in half the time that journey and if youre saying well you save a night by travelling overnight in the bus then you are missing fantastic scenery when you can get it by car.

there are my favourite places to stay at Telouet - see my tips there esp for Jackies HOuse - and then onto Ait Benhadou - no having to go to Ouarzazate and then back tracking - and then on to Skoura if you wish or on to Dades which is how I would do it - and Todra too perhaps and then you could go on to Rissani and then the circuit to the Draa Valley through Nkob - but otherwise yes see some sights of Skoura but if you are going to go down the Draa valley from Ouarzazate and you are in a hurry then dont go to Skoura - you will plenty of kasbahs, which is the main reason for Skoura, along the Draa valley - the first on the left past Agdz you come to heading south is Tamnougalte - the fortress is up on the hill - if you go up there there are guardians and guides waiting at the entrance (keeping an eye out for it and also available to guide you if you wish - around the fortress and then around the old kasbah village of Tamnougalte - i got a guide and found it very good value for money but at the end dont let them try to overcharge you)

then I recommend Riad Malal on the way to Zagora 17km before it - built onto the front of an excellent old kasbah that you can tour around and great views of the huge palmeraie in the valley behind.

I enjoyed seeing the Tinfou - just a big dune in the middle of a valley - wouldnt spend time goingmuch past there unless you really would like to go to Mhamid at the end of the road which I did enjoy though.
    I would though say go
    from the Dades Gorge when i recommend a bit previuosly to go there and then on to Rissanni - drive half an hour out to Merzouga where you will see the huge dunes of the sahara desert there and then drive back out to Rissanni and out the road to Nkob and Zagora and back on up to Ouarzazate and Marrakech.

you can do all that in 5 days. also because buses just take longer and cars save time (though might entice you to see more and stop more and take longer that way!)

bye for now,

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

by TheLongTone Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 3:46 AM

I'd agree with the above. I'm a non-driver and the south of Morocco & the Atlas is most definately a place where I really wanted to be truly free to stop where I wanted for a gawp at the scenery.
    However..... my expeince of this journey inolved arriving in Ouarzezate around midday & ther being a confusion of choice at the bus station, with several services advertised, not seemingly related to the buses that were actually there. In any case I was touted onto a bus fairly quickly and got to Marrakesh abot six in the evening.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines