Ottawa Travel Answers

change location
europebn's Profile Photo

Ottawa meeting at Winterlude in February!

by europebn Online Now Dec 21, 2004 at 1:27 PM

Hey everyone, I posted this message about 3 weeks ago: virtualtourist.com/f/p/1c6de... I'm organising a meeting at Ottawa's annual winter festival called 'Winterlude'. Tentatively, the date is set for Saturday, February 5th (see meetings calendar), but it can be changed. So far, including myself, there are 9 people interested in attending. No details have been finalised as of yet. Suggestions for the day's activities are most welcome. Please let me know if you are interested as well, and feel free to pass on the message to others. Cheers, Brandon

Quote & Answer
24 Answers
  • Reverend's Profile Photo

Re: Ottawa meeting at Winterlude in February!

by Reverend Online Now Dec 21, 2004 at 11:35 PM

Hey, ask people to show their interest on the forum. If people see a crowd is gathering, more may come along. I was starting to wonder since only two of us replied to the earlier posting. Glad there is already more interest than was obvious.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Lodestar's Profile Photo

by Lodestar Online Now Jan 3, 2005 at 5:02 AM

Hello again... Happy to show my interest here as well :) Looking forward to the cold, the snow and the wonderful local people! See you soon Liis

• europebn's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Ottawa meeting at Winterlude in February!

by europebn Online Now Jan 6, 2005 at 8:29 PM

Hey everyone, Hope more people join the forum to discuss the impending meeting in Ottawa for Winterlude. As for possible dates, please let me know what's best for you. The first and third Saturdays (5th, 19th) are no good for me, but the 12th is ok. All three Sundays are fine for now as well. Give your suggestions here please. As well, I don't want to set an itinerary for the day since who knows what we'll want to do. However, we can pick a time and place to meet. As per our previous meeting, I suggest meeting at the flame in front of the Parliament Building, around noonish. Please let others know. Here's a link to the Winterlude website, in order to inform you on the activities: http://www.capcan.ca/winterlude Speak to you soon, Cheers, Brandon

by europebn Online Now Jan 6, 2005 at 8:36 PM

So far there are (including me) 9 people interested in attending. Let's make this number grow! :)

• hayward68's Profile Photo

by hayward68 Online Now Jan 7, 2005 at 4:36 AM

Not sure yet, but will keep my eye on the forum to see what's happening.

• janika's Profile Photo

by janika Online Now Jan 7, 2005 at 3:35 PM

It would be nice to see everyone again, plus the new faces. What day? Weekend I hope?! :) Just cause I gotta work like a dog now, 6 days / week which sucks. Looking forward to this. I drove by Dows lake today and I saw ppl skating. Cheers! :)

• deadites's Profile Photo

by deadites Online Now Jan 8, 2005 at 8:41 AM

Could we do it on the weekend of the 12th instead?? My husband is in the reserves and the 5th is the weekend he's out of town and I don't feel like hauling 3 young kids along. ;)

• coollikethat's Profile Photo

by coollikethat Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 8:03 AM

I should be able to meet any of those weekends in February. Looking forward to meeting all my fellow VTers for my first VT Meeting :-) Winterlude has many activities so I'm sure we'll have a fun-filled day! We should also check the weather forecast closer to the day. See you soon! Laila

• rwaksberg's Profile Photo

by rwaksberg Online Now Jan 11, 2005 at 9:18 AM

Hi from Montreal! The 12th seems to be the "consensus". I had planned an outing here to go tubing, but its still early and if a date is fixed for the VT meeting, I could probably reschedule and maybe even bring some new Montrealers to Ottawa (maybe). Have a great day! Rene

by europebn Online Now Jan 15, 2005 at 11:25 AM

Since it seems to be the best date, the meeting is scheduled for February 12th. On the Meetings Calendar, please confirm your attendance. Cheers, Brandon

• janika's Profile Photo

by janika Online Now Jan 15, 2005 at 6:54 PM

Brandon, Thanks for your time & effort. It is greatly appreciated. Perhaps you should insert a link to the calendar for everybody. I should be able to attend. Although I work on Saturdays, I'll try to take that day off anyways. Should we bring skates too? Guess it depends on the weather. Let's hope the weather helps us and it's not going to melt or minus -40 C below. Maybe a minus -5 C would be ideal. :) Cheers!

by europebn Online Now Jan 18, 2005 at 11:21 AM

Here's a link to the meetings calendar: virtualtourist.com/vt/cl/200... John, I plan on bringing skates if the weather cooperates. Cheers, Brandon

• Caro315's Profile Photo

by Caro315 Online Now Jan 19, 2005 at 11:33 AM

How long does the Winterlude last? Is it only that weekend? Cus my friend's from Ottawa & we're planning a trip to skate down the canal =p maybe see u guys there then! (whens the best time to go skating this winter? that i wont freeze my ass off too much? =p ) ttyls, Caro

by europebn Online Now Jan 19, 2005 at 8:36 PM

Winterlude goes on for the first 3 weekends of February (our meeting is on the 2nd one). Here's the winterlude website for more info: www.capcan.ca/winterlude As for the canal, it's tough to say because we've had crazy weather lately. The only sure thing is that if the temperature is around freezing for a bit of time, the canal will probably close temporarily due to the ice being soft and unsafe. We've had a few cold days lately, so the conditions are good now, and you can find daily updates here: capcan.ca/skateway/condition... Hope you can make the meeting. Keep in touch. Cheers, Brandon

by Caro315 Online Now Jan 20, 2005 at 3:30 AM

thanks alot for the info =) i'll try and see if we (me n my ottawa friend, austrian friend, vancity friend n mauritian friend =p) ALL can make to the second weekend of feb, but itll be kinda tough cus all of us have different schedules. oh and skate rentals? do u know the pricing? or where to rent. what if some of us have never skated before? do they have the "helper" thing? yes crazy weather! urgh! i had late class monday and it was -38?! see ya laters caro =)

by europebn Online Now Jan 21, 2005 at 4:19 PM

From the Winterlude website: Service Counters Skate and sleigh rentals, and skate sharpening on the Rideau Canal Skateway at the NAC, Fifth Avenue and Dows Lake Pavilion. NAC: (613) 233-7980 (boot check available) Fifth Avenue: (613) 233-7980 (weekends only) Dows Lake: (613) 232-1001 I don't know the prices, sorry.

by europebn Online Now Jan 21, 2005 at 4:21 PM

Actually, there is more information on services on this page: canadascapital.gc.ca/skatewa...

by Caro315 Online Now Jan 21, 2005 at 5:00 PM

thanks alot for ur info! i'll keep the sites in mind. so only ppl from ottawa going or from other provinces/countries as well?

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

by kenHuocj Online Now Feb 1, 2005 at 7:23 PM

look forward to meeting old and new alike - meegwetch ;-)))

by europebn Online Now Feb 6, 2005 at 9:20 AM

6 days and counting...

• janika's Profile Photo

by janika Online Now Feb 11, 2005 at 5:13 PM

This is to inform Brandon and everybody else of my attendance as of tomorrow on the VT meeting. I am afraid that it will be impossible for me to make it, as much as I'd love to meet you again and have fun. I have to work and there is no way off tomorrow. My boss is leaving for two week on Monday or Tuesday and I'll manage the company while he is gone. I have to be there tomorrow for last minute instructions, keys, security, etc, etc. Hope you understand this. My son was excited about the meeting when I told him the good news and we were looking forward to some fun. I hate to tell y'all this guys / galls. I make sure to be there next time though. Have fun and enjoy the day while living up Winterlude. Cheers! Janika

by kenHuocj Online Now Feb 11, 2005 at 7:35 PM

cusses, i am fip floppin have to help offspring move to the lil apple, maybe a other mini Vt with Caro 315 two eeks later ? Soory to miss out folks k ;-(((

by kenHuocj Online Now Feb 11, 2005 at 7:35 PM

cusses, i am fip floppin have to help offspring move to the lil apple, maybe a other mini Vt with Caro 315 two eeks later ? Soory to miss out folks k ;-(((

• deadites's Profile Photo

by deadites Online Now Feb 16, 2005 at 7:25 AM

Well I was a no show due to being sick.. I am out of bed and back at work today.. Ugh. I see Ken and Janika didn't make it either.. Maybe we can have another mini VT like Ken suggested?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines