• whitechicken's Profile Photo

two english campervan travelers

Dunedin Apr 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM

we will be in dunedin december 18th need a good campsite etc thanks

• pobblepop's Profile Photo

Accommodation in Queenstown

Queenstown Mar 23, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Hi there!
      I am going exploring the South Island over Easter (16-23 April) with my boyfriend and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of somewhere not too expensive to stay-- not too fussed on what its like as we will be out most of the time! Any suggestions would be awesome!
      Please/ Thanks :)

5 Answers Mar 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    • mnutsy's Profile Photo

DAY TRIP FOR NON SKIER TO CORONET PEAK OR REMARKABLES

Queenstown Mar 1, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I WILL BE IN QT FOR AFEW DAYS IN JULY. I DON'T SKI BUT WOULD LIKE TO GET BUS UP AND BACK TO EITHER, HAVE A LOOK, A WALK AND ACOFFEE, THEN COME BACK. POSIBLE?

4 Answers Mar 2, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    • Hiking Gear Hireage Queenstown

Queenstown Jan 26, 2014 at 5:18 PM

My husband and I are doing the Milford track end of April, where is the best place to hire gear...pickup Queenstown. Cheers

1 Answer Jan 26, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    • YogeshT's Profile Photo

South Island Vacation-NZ

Queenstown Dec 7, 2013 at 3:45 AM

I am travelling to New Zealand in Oct 2014 (25 Oct to 01st). Can anyone suggest itinerary for South Island? I am travelling wife & my 5 year old son. I understand it will be spring & at that point in time & hence end of skiing period however is there a possibility to see/play in snow in part of SI. My son is keen to see/play in snow as he has never done it before

6 Answers Dec 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    • Transportation to Queenstown Airport from Dunedin

Dunedin Dec 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Our daughter will be studying at University of Otago until June 2014. In determining her flight home out of Queenstown I am looking for information on the best way to get her and her large luggage to the airport. Bus/Shuttle schedules will come into play in determining departure time. Thank you for any info.

5 Answers Dec 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    • Camping at Lake Mahinerangi

Otago Oct 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM

My question is - My family and I are thinking of heading to Lake Mahinerangi at Xmas. We intend to take our boat and camp at one of the many inlets. Is this allowed? We are a responsible family consisting of Grandad and his daughter, her partner and her 11 year old son.

1 Answer Oct 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM
    • Queenstown Oct. to April. what to bring?

Queenstown Sep 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Hi there, what would be the most essential gear to bring with me on my backpacking woofing excursion of a lifetime? My flight departs mid Oct. and I'm there until mid April. So far i have an eye mountaineer 80L pack, solidly rugged boots, and a sunhat. Any recommendations would be lovely. Thank you. christinakelly421@gmail.com

1 Answer Sep 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    • Dunedin for 10 hours

Dunedin Sep 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Our group of 8 adults are taking a cruise in November, and will be docked at Dunedin for 10 hours. I am wondering is there a way for us to visit Queens Town from Dunedin that is workable within the 10 hours constraint.

Is there some local tour guide or tour company that can provide services for such a private tour?

2 Answers Sep 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    • queesntown in November 1st week

Queenstown Aug 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

is november 1st week a good time to visit queenstown?

3 Answers Aug 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    • nelson to queenstown winter

Queenstown Jul 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

can you get a bus from nelson to queenstown in the winter. if so what bus line is it

2 Answers Jul 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    • leigh767's Profile Photo

Autumn: When exactly is the best time to visit Queenstown

Queenstown Feb 18, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Hi all!

I know New Zealand/Queenstown is stunning almost any time of year. But my partner and I are looking to head down for a photography trip this autumn so our question is simple but important to us: when is the best time to visit Queenstown in the autumn? We really want to see Q'town in the "true autumn" period (when everything's just a riot of orange, red and yellow). We also recognise that the period is fleeting and the timing may shift from year to year. But we just want to maximise our chances of being there when it does happen.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Specific times (eg. "second half of April") would be most appreciated.

For background, this will be our second trip. The last was this past November - and WHAT a gorgeous country.

Thanks so much in advance!

2 Answers Feb 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    • clay target shooting

Queenstown Jan 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Has anyone tried Break One Clay Target shooting? I've always wanted to do that and it looks like a great time. Any tips or info much appreciated!

• car hire Otago

Dunedin Jan 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM

hello all
      I am looking for advice about hiring a car in Otago.
      My plan is to fly into Queenstown and out of Dunedin - ideally I'd like to hire a car at Queenstown airport and drop it off at Dunedin airport, but if that's going to be very expensive I might decide to drive back to Queenstown and drop the car off there.
      Any advice? I want to pay the lowest rate possible - am I crazy to expect that from a smaller town?
      Also, I am arriving the day before the long weekend in March, will that affect prices, do you think?

thanks for any input
      Karin

8 Answers Jan 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM
    • packing in november

Queenstown Oct 8, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Hello there
      I would like to travel all over the south island in this november and have no idea to pack how is the weather and would I need any equient or winter coat to visit glacier area? Cheers

1 Answer Oct 8, 2012 at 1:03 AM
    • Travel to Queenstown, Milford Sound and Fox Glacier in early Feb 2013

Queenstown Sep 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Hi, my family of four (2 children aged 10 and 12), will travel to South Island in early Feb 2013. We would like to have a relax holiday without lots of driving in a day. I have made a preliminary schedule below and please comment if it is fine:

++++++
      Feb 1 to 4:
      Stay in Queenstown to explore the Gondola and luge rides, beautiful views over Queenstown, Lake Wakatipu, Coronet Peak, The Remarkable and Arrowtown

Feb 5:
      Checkout hotel in Queenstown and drive to Te Anau (2 hours) for old steam train at Kingston and take a short walk into the last part of the Kepler track to the Moturoa Hut.

Feb 6:
      Check out hotel in Te Anau and drive to Milford Sound from 6 a.m. (2 hours) and take Mitre Peak Cruise for the cruise to Milford Sound. Accommodation in Milford Lodge. Joint canoeing through Milford Lodge.

Feb 7:
      Half day mountain tracking in Milford Sound.

Feb 8:
      Check out Milford Lodge, drive to Wanaka (5 hours) for Wanaka Lake and Puzzling World. Accommodation in Wanaka.

Feb 9:
      Check out hotel in Wanaka, drive to Fox Glacier (3 hours) for Lake Matheson and some short walks near Fox Village. Accomodation in Fox Glacier.

Feb 10:

Join half day tour on Fox Glacier walk, then visit Franz Josef Glacier. Accommodation in Fox Glacier.

Feb 11

Check out hotel in Fox Glacier and drive to Wanaka. Accomodation in Wanaka.

Feb 12

Check out hotel in Wanaka and drive back to Queenstown for Route 6, Lake Dunstan, Cromwell, Kawarau Gorge, Glenorchy, Gibbstone Valley Wine Caves and tour. Accommodation in Queenstown.

Feb 13

Fly back to Auckland.

+++++++++++

Thanks a lot! It appears that the accommodation in Fox Glacier is very tight as many people will go there at that time. Once the above schedule is confirmed, I need to book the accommodation in Fox Glacier soonest possible.

Thanks again.

11 Answers Oct 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    • kakapo's Profile Photo

Catlins - sealions,seals and penguin viewing in August

Otago Jul 11, 2012 at 5:09 AM

Is it possible to view the sealions and seals in the Catlins during the day in August, or do they go somewhere else in winter?
      What about the penguins at Nugget Point and Oamaru?
      cheers

3 Answers Jul 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    • RamkrishnaPaul's Profile Photo

Queenstown, 7 nights in January,2013

Queenstown Jul 2, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Hi,

Me and my wife planing to go Queenstown & Chrischurch in early January 2013. We have planned to spent 10days over there. Our main interest on snow,mountain,lakes,falls.We will land Chrischurch first then go to Queenstown.We liked to hire a car but not sure from where it will be suitable in our journey. Could you please advise us what best interesting places we can visit during our tour.If you also please give us some tips on car hire and accommodation.

Regards
      Ramkrishna

4 Answers Feb 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM
    • mavis77's Profile Photo

Moving to Otago for three months

Otago May 31, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Hi, my friend and I are going to tge Otago/ Dunedin are for three months from beginning of July. We are Australian citizens so don't need a working visa, but can anyone please assist with websites to find accommodation or trustworthy recruitment agencies?

Also is it Dunedin in the Otago region or is the whe area Otago and Dunedin is like a suburb? Silly question I know but I'm confused!! Is it nice? We were thinking there because with the Uni the rent looks cheaper and it's not on a fault line! Plus it looks oh so pretty..

4 Answers Jun 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    • sandeepgarg's Profile Photo

Queenstown 3 nights in May

Queenstown Apr 18, 2012 at 4:24 AM

We are a family of 9 (4 adults, 1 senior and 4 children between 8-15 years), from INDIA.

We shall be arriving in Queenstown on the 12th May 2012, at about 4.00 pm or so,
      from Rotorua by the Air NZ flight.

We are staying the night at Crown Plaza. The next day 13th, we have kept at free, before visiting Milford Sound on the 14th May and proceeding to Franz Josef on 15th May.

What is you advise for us to do on our free day?

Thanks

sandeep garg

6 Answers Feb 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM
    • TRAVEL ADVISE NEEDED FOR NZ SOUTH ISLAND TRIP

Queenstown Jan 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Hi All, My daughter and I are travelling to NZ at the beginning of March and have been going crazy trying to plan this trip.We arrive in Queenstown and depart from Christchurch and we have 10 days to fill in. There just seems to me to be too many beautiful places to see but time is limited so can anyone give us any suggestions please of what to see and do. We are planning on hiring a car from Queenstown and driving to Christchurch taking 10 days to do the trip. Any help would be much appreciated.

8 Answers Mar 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    • Royal Albatross Centre

Dunedin Nov 2, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Is it possible to see the albatrosses flying about without joining the tour?

5 Answers Nov 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    • Irl v italy game!

Dunedin Sep 28, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Hi, we are going to ireland v italy game on 2nd october( last minute tickets), we have a camper van but all campsites powered and unpowered seem to be totally booked up as well as any type of accommodation. can anybody help? We are more than happy to sleep in the campervan but know that we cant just pull up on the side of road. any help would be appreciated!Thanks!

1 Answer Oct 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    • Dunedin Accommodation for Rugby 2 October

Dunedin Sep 14, 2011 at 3:12 AM

My friend and I are 2 avid 65 year olds travelling to Dunedin for the game on October 2nd and would like a bed for the night please. Can recipicrate if you want a bed in Christchurch sometime. thanks a million, Shirley

1 Answer Sep 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    • irvbur's Profile Photo

Weather in Apr/May

Queenstown Sep 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM

We're hoping to visit Cairns, Sydney, Queenstown, and Fiji in late April to mid May 2012. I've checked weatherUnderground, and the "what to pack" section of several travel sites but I'm a bit confused. I'm used to dressing in layers but it seems that it rains frequently in OZ all year round. Is April/May really a bad time to travel? Or, would I still be comfortable in layers? Is the weather clear enough to take pictures? I live in Pennsylvania and am used to change of seasons. Are the changes in OZ more severe than here? Is NZ the same?

Read more: VT Forum temporarily unavailable

5 Answers Sep 3, 2011 at 3:24 AM
    • eamonnmcc's Profile Photo

Accommodation in Dunedin during the Rugby World Cup?

Dunedin Aug 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Hi, My 3 friends and I are going to be in Dunedin for 1 night on the 2nd October for Ireland v Italy game and we can't find accommodation anywhere. Could someone reply if they know of anything going?

Thanks in advance,

Eamonn

1 Answer Aug 5, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    • BecTravels11's Profile Photo

Ski /Snowboard Hire and Lift Passes

Queenstown Jul 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Hello there! My partner and I are skiing/boarding in Queenstown from Monday 25 -Thursday 28 July and I was wondering if there are any recommended packages for ski/board hire and lift passes for Remarkables and Coronet Peak. I've been researching and have found some great rates for ski/board hire at Green Toad, but not having any luck with the actual lift passes... are there any good combo rates for both hire and lift passes? We've hired a car as well, but not sure we should drive to and from the mountains or if it's easier to just pay for the shuttle?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks from a fellow traveller,
      Rebecca

1 Answer Jul 22, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    • sweetie_inc's Profile Photo

Milford Sound/LOTR in Winter

Queenstown Jul 10, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Hi,

Is it advisable to go Milford Sound and LOTR during winter?
      Will the place be covered in snow?
      Will there be visibility issue?
      Any recommendation which agency shld I go with to these places?

Thanks in advance!!
      Nora

22 Answers Jul 27, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    • sweetie_inc's Profile Photo

Day Tour in Queenstown

Queenstown Jul 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Hi,

Is it advisable to book for the day tour on the day I reach Queenstown?

I'll be in Queenstown next week and still have not plan what to do on each day yet. Not too sure if I shld book later or book online now.

Thanks in adv!

Cheers,
      Nora

2 Answers Jul 11, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    • Ski Hire

Queenstown Jun 16, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Hi,

We are coming to Queenstown for a weeks skiing holiday in July and was wondering about ski and clothes hire for grown ups and kids.

Cheers
      Pup018

1 Answer Jun 16, 2011 at 5:07 PM