Oswiecim Travel Answers

change location
roamer61's Profile Photo

Solo or with a guide

by roamer61 Online Now Aug 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I will be visiting next Spring as part of a wider trip. I am a single person.
Is it better to join a tour, employ a private guide or go solo?

I am aware that you must join a group if arriving after 10:00am. And I also know that you can do Birkineau first. But I prefer to go in chronological order and start with Auschwitz I.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • travshe's Profile Photo

Re: Solo or with a guide

by travshe Online Now Aug 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I went solo

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Aug 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

we joined a tour when we got there via bus; certainly the guides give you a LOT of detailed info, especially, as our guide was the grandson of a Holocaust victim and whose family still lived right there as they had for generations.

we also went afterward to Birkenau, which flowed well.......

• ozpaul's Profile Photo

by ozpaul Online Now Aug 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM

We organised a tour at our hotel. We travelled by bus to Auschwitz - on the way the played a DVD about the history of the camps. It was very sombre but provided a great deal of info that I was unaware of. Upon arriving - we were provided with audio devices - the tour guide was extremely informative but had a very sensitive manner. After here - we went to Birkineau - once again the guide was informative yet sensitive. The entire experience is one I will never quite forget. Even though we were part of a lagrer group - I never really felt that this hindered us in any way.

• alancollins's Profile Photo

by alancollins Online Now Aug 11, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Hi
    I have visited 3 times, always without a guide. I always find the tour groups a nuisance because the guide does his long chat about a particular exhibit and the group just stand there listening, making it difficult for anyone else to get around them to view the exhibit. I went last year when they had adopted the new guide system and went to Birkenau first had a lunch then went to Auschwitz I. You mention you are visiting in the spring, because the hours vary from month to month you may have little choice but to go on a tour or else arrive when it opens, go to Birkenau after 1000 and then return after 1500.
    Alan

• roamer61's Profile Photo

by roamer61 Online Now Aug 11, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Hi Alan. I was actually thinking of that, going to Birkineau first. However, I would rather do Auschwitz first as it was constructed first chronologically.

My dilemma is do I want to go solo, and bealone in my thoughts, or use a guide.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Aug 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Ultimately only you can decide.

For me, it would be essential to be alone with my thoughts because I already know goodly amount (as I know you do). So I would make sure I arrived at Auschwitz 1 either well before 10am or after 3pm.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines