Oswiecim Travel Answers

change location
roamer61's Profile Photo

Bus Tour or Independent Tour

by roamer61 Online Now Jul 6, 2005 at 3:43 PM

I am putting together a Poland itinerary. For visiting the camps at Auschwitz/Birkenau, which is better for a visit, a guided bus tour or with a personal driver and guide from Krakow?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • AcornMan's Profile Photo

RE: Bus Tour or Independent Tour

by AcornMan Online Now Jul 6, 2005 at 5:10 PM

You don't need either. Just take the train or the bus from Krakow, then tour the camps on your own. There's a free shuttle bus that goes between Auschwitz and Birkenau.

Also, the bus from Krakow is probably a better option than the train because it drops you off right at Auschwitz, whereas if you take the train you'll then have to take a taxi to the camp.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Neilzonwheelz's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Bus Tour or Independent Tour

by Neilzonwheelz Online Now Jul 6, 2005 at 9:39 PM

Acornman has it right, just hook up with english guide at the camp. Public bus is cheap & hassle free. the camp run tour takes u to Birkenau - the main camp about 3kmsaway. Go early just in case u want to do more.

• RE: Bus Tour or Independent Tour

by fizzytom Online Now Jul 7, 2005 at 1:56 AM

AcornMAn got it NEARLY right. All the guidebooks also say you need to get a taxi if you arrive by train. There is a bus which goes from the station right to the gates but the walk is only ten minutes. I know the taxi doesn't cost much but really - a ten minute walk, that's all!

• RE: Bus Tour or Independent Tour

by Michalina27 Online Now Jun 22, 2006 at 4:33 AM

To get to Krakow the best is take a bus from railway station. It cost only about 1,2Euro and it take about 20 people. the little busses arriver from oswiecim to cracow about half and hour. The whole road takes about 90 minutes.have a nice time. if u want more informations you can write to my e mail (kate--25@o2.pl)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines