Oswiecim Travel Answers

change location

Osiwiecim, Poland

by STPearl10 Online Now Mar 12, 2004 at 12:50 AM

I would like to have the panoramic information on what there is to see at Auschwitz Death Camp. For example, I would like information on all the museums, films, transportation from Krakow, the actual camps, etc. I do not want to miss out on anything and this specific travel site interests me deeply. Thank you, Amanda Kittoe

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • marishabandb's Profile Photo

Re: Osiwiecim, Poland

by marishabandb Online Now Mar 12, 2004 at 3:39 AM

Dear Amanda If you take a little time and research all the VT pages already built on Auschwitz (Oswiecim in Polish), you'll find in them most of the information you are seeking. I have visited Auschwitz/Birkenau more than thirty times with guests, all with different needs and specific interests, and every time I find some new aspect. To encompass all your needs, I would strongly recommend that you do not join the guided tour available at the museum, but seek out an expert who can devote the time you will need to see everything. The museum's guided tour is very limited for those who want to visit all parts of the camp. You will need to devote at least one whole day to this. There is a survivor who lives in California who returns each summer to give in-depth guided tours to very small parties. His purpose in doing this is to educate and build a dedicated group of second generation witnesses. If you would like more information about this, please write to me. Best wishes Marisha

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sihi's Profile Photo

by sihi Online Now Mar 12, 2004 at 5:33 AM

Hi. I havent been to Oswiecim, I would like to say that Krakow is worth visiting. It is considered the most beautiful city of Europe. So, enjoy your trip take pictures and put them after to Virtual Tourist:))

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

by sphynxxs Online Now Mar 12, 2004 at 6:18 AM

Dear Amanda, both trains and busses go frequently from Krakow to Auschwitz - you have to buy a ticket to Oswiecim. The Auschiwtz camp is about two kilometres away from the station, you can walk, take a cab or a bus. While it is easier to get there with an organised tour from Krakow, if you want to take your time and see the whole place, it is better to travel on your own. If you find the timetables hard to match with your itineray, you can find hostel-like accomodation in Oswiecim, either a the international youth center or at the pilgrims home, or hotel Glob at the main station. There is more to "see" in the Auschwitz museum, because most of Birkenau barracks were burned down and the gas chambers detonated before the campĀ“s liberation. The vast size, nowadays covered with grass, makes it only more spooky. If you want to catch a glimpse of Jewish life in Oswiecim before the war, go see the synagogue/museum in downtown Oswiecim. If you need to know more, feel free to contact me Kasia

• Re: Re: Osiwiecim, Poland

by MonsterZero Online Now Mar 23, 2004 at 10:43 AM

I've been to Auschwitz and found out there is nothing wrong with being spontaneous in the exploration and letting the signs and descriptions of this overwhelming place guide you. You're locked up in a square surrounded with barbed wire, you won't get lost. Everything has descriptions in a whole bunch of languages, illustrations and so on. Auschwitz was meant to be a self-guiding tour. To be frank, not much needs to be said in a room filled with shoes and hair of murdered people. Nothing needs to be said in a gas chamber because once you walk into one you'll know where you are. If you really need a narrator you'll probably run into an English-language tour and can eavesdrop on them (I assume you're budget conscious like me). ;)

• Re: Re: Osiwiecim, Poland

by Brett-Wallace Online Now Oct 11, 2004 at 4:04 AM

Buy a guide book, they are in various languages. It was all I needed when I visited. There are plenty of books and video tapes at the camp. And you can buy them on the internet. You could do a little research before you go. It is free to visit the site, however you will have to pay to use the toilets!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines