Ostia Antica

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Parking in Tivoli

Tivoli Jul 19, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Can you give me some idea as to where I can park my car when visiting Villa Éste? I think there is a car park available at Villa Adriana. Am I correct?

more
    • Rome to Cortona by train

Rome Jul 3, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Understand there are two stops near Cortona - Terontola or Camucia. Is one a better choice than the other? Are there buses/taxis from either to Cortona? Should we book the train in advance or just go from the airport in Rome to Termini Station and buy a ticket there? On the return trip, we have a morning flight back to the US and so will go back to Rome the day before. Can you recommend a hotel close to the Termini Station or are there actually airport hotels that would be a better choice? Thanks

more
    • SIT Bus Shuttle

Rome 15 hours ago

Hello,

My wife and I are scheduled to arrive at FCO 7:35 am.  2 questions related to scheduling the SIT Bus Shuttle:

• Is it necessary to pre-book seats on-line or can tickets be purchased on arrival?
      • The booking options on-line are for select times (every 45min).  Are the pre-booked ticket times firm?  For instance, if our flight is delayed, etc, will our ticket apply for another departure time?

Thanks for any help.

more
    • Taxi from Fiumicino airport to Via Garibaldi, Trastevere

Rome Jul 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Can I (and where, website?)pre-book taxi from the Fiumicino airport to Trastevere (Via Garibaldi)?
      What would be the fare?

more
    • JoyS59's Profile Photo

Rome at the end of July? Let's maybe do lunch?

Rome Jul 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Would love to meet up with anyone who will be in Rome near the end of July? I will be there and would love to sit and have a snack/lunch/a conversation with you all.

Hope to hear from someone (or couple people!)

Thanks

more
    • Men's incontinence products

Rome Jul 3, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Where can I purchase there disposable underwear?

more
    • danes0602's Profile Photo

5 days in Rome

Rome Yesterday

Hello fellow travelers! My friends and I will be in Rome for 5 days (Sept 26 - 30, 2014). What's your advice on purchasing the Roma Pass? Is it better than booking directly online (for the Colosseum, museums, etc.)?
      Any off the beaten path spots to see in Rome?

Also, we found an affordable apartment. We'll be staying at Holiday And Rome (in Piazza Tommaso De Cristoforis). Any feedback on this (location-wise, review, etc.)?

I would appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

more
    • romemuseum.com-purchasing tours

Rome Jul 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM

what are your thoughts on this service?

more
    • Electrical appliances

Rome Jul 15, 2014 at 7:25 AM

I am aware we need a special adaptor for our electrical appliances but now hearing we may need a transformer too??
      My biggest concern is my Sleep Apnea Machine that I can't live without. Help!

more
    • Delay in transit from Port to FCO

Civitavecchia Jul 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM

We arrive in port early AM but our return flight (Fiumicino) is late afternoon. Any suggestions for an interesting way to spend about 3 hours either in Civitavecchia or en route? Remember we will have luggage.

more
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

3 days in Rome

Rome Jul 3, 2014 at 7:01 AM

I am visiting in mid October and have 3 full days for Rome (and 1 day for Pompeii as day trip from Rome).

Should I see Rome first for 3 days then head to Pompeii / the other way round or any views if this does not make a difference?

For 3 full days in Rome, how best can I maximise? I am planning to visit Vatican City, Collosseum, Pantheon amongst others - can someone give me some pointers?

I will be staying near Roma Termini - is everything walkable and any good recommendation for food?

more
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

Day trip to Pompeii from Rome

Rome Jul 2, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I have full days in Rome and 1 full day for Pompeii. I would like to find out:

- the best route to get to Pompeii. I will be staying near Roma Termini. I checked this out but there are a couple of trains and I wasn't very sure of the station name in Pompeii. Do I head to Napoli first - again there are a few Napoli station

- if I have 1 full day, how is it best to maximise to see Pompeii? Do I get tickets in advance and is there any specific day that it is closed etc? Any specific tips would be helpful.

How much time do I have to allocate to get back to Rome? This will be in mid October - any tips on when sunsets and attractions close would help. Thanks :)

more
    • Restaurant

Rome Jul 15, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I will be staying at the spanish steps next week in Rome
      Any ideas for nice italian restaurants, worth the visit in the area or in Rome in general
      Thank you
      Ilias

more
    • Clothing needed for touring

Rome Jul 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM

What type of clothes will we need in Late October and Early November for touring? What type of clothes for a nice dinner?

more
    • bus from cruise port gate to the train station

Civitavecchia Jul 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM

where do you pick up the bus from the cruise port to the train station?

more
    • RobertC51's Profile Photo

Luggage storage

by RobertC51 Online Now Jun 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM

We want to stop to visit Ostia on the way from Rome to Cvitavecchia to catch our cruise. Is there luggage storage at Ostia? or Ostiense station?

16 Answers Jun 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    • JFN41's Profile Photo

Available Tours at Ostia Antica

by JFN41 Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I wish to finally make a visit to Ostia when in Rome the first ten days of May.
      What do they have in the way of guided tours (not private tours) at the site itself?
      The info for the transportation from Rome is very good. Anyhing even more recent?

3 Answers Apr 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    • Taxi from Ostia to FCO airport

by cherisprauer Online Now Jul 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM

How and where would I call a taxicab to get from OA to the airport/

1 Answer Jul 3, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    • Luggage storage

by cherisprauer Online Now Jul 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Is there somewhere to store carry-on luggage when visiting the ruins? Planning on spending our last day at OA before a 8:00pm flight so we will have our luggage with us.

1 Answer Jul 3, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    • Rome to Lido di Ostia

by heidizorzi Online Now May 18, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Please help. We are travelling from Salerno to Lido di Ostia to stay our last night in Italy near the airport. Is it best to take the train from Salerno back to Rome and then back to Lido di Ostia? If so what is the best way to get from Rome to Lido di Ostia? What are the station names in Lido di Ostia? I will ask the hotel which is closest.

2 Answers May 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM
    • itchie75's Profile Photo

Is there a faster/easier way from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica than thru Termini

by itchie75 Online Now Jul 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Do we have to go from the train station at Civitavecchia to Termini and then catch a train back to Ostia Antica or is there a stop sooner (on the way to Roma) that we can get off at and then catch a train back to Ostia Antica? Like the Piramide stop? Or?

Also I saw that you can take a boat along the Tiber river from Rome to Ostia Antica. Has anyone experienced that good or bad, cost, and the location to catch the boat relative to Termini or other stop?

I know I can spend mucho EURO for a taxi or shuttle but trying to keep it resonable.

2 Answers Jul 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM
    • From Rome to Ostia and back

by rosepetal720 Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 1:09 PM

All of these forums talk about how to get from the airport to Ostia; does anyone know the best way to get from Rome to Ostia? I was thinking of taking the cruise ship, but it only lets you stay in Ostia 2 hours. Is that really going to be enough time? I'm trying to figure out if I can take a bus there, what buses go there, what times, or maybe if I should take a cab... I just don't know! Any advice would by much appreciated.

10 Answers Jun 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Cotral bus stop near Ostia Antica

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 16, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Guys, in doing some research, I have found a Cotral bus schedule that appears to run from Fiumicino airport to Ostia, via Ostia Antica, but I want to make sure I understand what I'm seeing online.

First, go to cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari/AFC1.... . Note that buses leave from the terminal at Fiumicino for national flights, does something about "Roma Ostia Cineland v.Dei Romagnoli", then proceeds to Ostia's train station.

My questions are:
      1. Where exactly is this Cineland stop? The address for Cineland is Via dei Romagnoli, 515, which appears to be close to the entrance of the Scavi (at Viale dei Romagnoli, 717?), but how close? I ask because the the bus evidentally comes down from the airport on the Via dell'Aeroporto di Fiumicino, stops at the intersection with the Via della Scafa, then continues until it hits the Via del Mare. If the bus continues to the train station in Ostia, it would take a right, away from Ostia Antica. Does it drop Ostia Antica passengers there (about a kilometer aways from the site), or does it take a left, go up the Via del Mare/Viale dei Romagnoli closer to the scavi, drop people off, then turn around and go to Ostia Lido?

2. The "Roma Ostia Cineland v.Dei Romagnoli" stop is marked on the timetable with "(*)" in each case. The footnote says that "nota: (*) = Orario non garantito". What does that mean exactly? I understand the literal translation of "timetable not guaranteed", but I am thinking it also means something else. For example, does it mean that it doesn't make this stop unless you request it (although another phrase is usally used for that)? Or does it literally mean only what it says - that the bus gets there when it gets there, but it will get there?

Is this obscure enough for you??? ;-) Thanks!

Bill

3 Answers Jun 2, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    • Fiumicino to Ostia Antica?

by dcpowell8234 Online Now Nov 7, 2006 at 9:47 AM

We will be staying in a small resort in Fiumicino for one day post cruise. Our one day is the day before Easter Sunday and we are thinking we would like to stay away from the crowds in Rome on that day (We will have had 3 days in Rome pre-cruise). Ostia Antica sounds like an interesting place to visit during that one day - but how best to get from our lodging to Ostia Antica? Rent a car? Bus? Train? Can you think of a better way to spend our day? Thanks!

2 Answers Nov 7, 2006 at 11:02 AM
    • GUYON's Profile Photo

How to rent an appartment in Lido di Ostia

by GUYON Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 12:27 PM

I am looking for a local real estate agent to rent a vacation appartment in Lido di Ostia near Rome for one week. Could you suggest me an address ?

Cerco un'agenzia immobiliari per affittare un'appartamento a Lido di Ostia per une settimana durante le vacanze. Mi puo indicare un'indirizzo ?

Thanks - Grazie

RAY

2 Answers Aug 17, 2006 at 4:17 PM
    • Possible to visit Ostica Antica while on a layover at Rome airport?

by bostonbali Online Now Jul 16, 2006 at 6:23 PM

Hi,
      it seems that Ostica Antica is only 9KM away from FCO, Leonardo da Vinci Fiumicino airport. We'll have a 5 hour layover, and were thinking of taking a cab a visiting Ostia Antica.
      Do you think this plan is doable? Is it easy to find a cab outside the ruins once we're done and need to hurry back to the airport?
      We could only allocate about 3 hours at Ostica Antica, but seems like it's still worth it.
      Thanks for any feedback!

3 Answers Jul 17, 2006 at 6:52 AM
    • the forum and the temple of Jupiter

by lientja_no1 Online Now Sep 27, 2005 at 1:53 PM

Hi, I have to give a presentation for my school class in Ostia, about the forum and the temple of Jupiter there. But I can't find any information on it! just pictures... If somebody could tell me something about this subject?
      thank you!

3 Answers Sep 27, 2005 at 2:43 PM
    • How to reach Ostia from Fiumicino Airport

by JoroIliev Online Now Jul 10, 2005 at 11:05 PM

Hi guys,
      I will have a stopover in Rome ( on July 20) and I would like to go to Ostia for a couple of hours. Can you tell me if there is a metro line or bus from Fiumicion airport to Ostia Antica.
      Thanks a lot,
      George

4 Answers Jul 25, 2005 at 12:09 AM
    • Travel from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica

by fplayfoot Online Now Feb 18, 2005 at 10:45 AM

I will arrive at Civitavecchia on a cruise and we would like to go to Ostia Antica the fastest way possible.

1 Answer Mar 29, 2006 at 8:08 PM
    • Ostia Antica on Monday?

by ToniL Online Now Jun 18, 2004 at 5:56 PM

Is it possible to visit Ostia Antica on a Monday? I read that it was closed Mondays in an older guidebook, and am hoping to visit there on October 25. Thanks!