Oslo Travel Answers

change location
sprdak11's Profile Photo

Visiting Oslo in a few hours

by sprdak11 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Hello. I am planning to take a ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo to make a short trip to these two Scandinavian capital cities. I will be in Oslo only about 6 hours. I wonder what one can do in such a short time in Oslo? Any tips? Greetings. Magda

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Oslo in a few hours

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Central Oslo is quite condensed and easily navigable. It is unlikely that you will even have to wander far from the waterfront.

The Akershus Fortress is interesting and has some nice views. The nearby Opera House makes for some nice pictures. If museums are your thing, the Viking Ship Museum is interesting. A little further out of town, Vigelandsparken has some cool attractions.

While you won't get an intimate knowledge of anywhere in 6 hours, you can certainly catch the highlight of Oslo in that time.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I think that your ship is parked to the estern side harbour (Åkerhusstranden goes by) and it's only short walk to Opera house, a must in Oslo you can climb to roof and have a fjord view from there. City walk in the centrum and some museums, maybe.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

We were there on a cruise ship, so did have longer than you, but it is quite amazing what you can see in a short time in Oslo. We caught the ferry for a short trip to Bygdoy Island. I am not a museum person usually, but I must say, I found their museums excellent. We started at the Fram Museum, then Maritime museum & kon-tiki museum, all located a few steps from each other. Catch the local bus for a short ride to the viking museum, then the local bus to the Open Air folk museum. Then if you have time go to the Akershus Fortress or just walk around, quite easy in Oslo. This is my Oslo page "OSLO - CITY OF SCULPTURES!" - Oslo by balhannah

Have a great time, I wished I had longer there!

• Saagar's Profile Photo

by Saagar Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Just behind the twin-towered city hall building down (seen from the harbour) there is a tourist info store and info centre. That's a good start. it's cold now in the wee hours, but it will warm up in the sun later. Many of the tourism services may not be in place now, since it is a slack season for city tourism. e.g. the boat to the museums may not operate because the Fjord has been frozen and smaller boats may not be able to navigate. otherwise, all above are good tips. The Vigeland sculpture park is fine to see. Even the main hall of the city hall where the nobel peace price is handed out might be nice to see. right on the harbour. for a look of restaurants and cafes there are some on the harbour front at Aker brygge. enjoy!

• 7hope's Profile Photo

by 7hope Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Sorry, I did not read Your Message in time. But , tell me again NeXT time you come to Oslo. It must be more than 66 hours:)

• miranda1979's Profile Photo

by miranda1979 Online Now Apr 19, 2013 at 3:55 AM

I went to Oslo by ferry and had only 4 hours. We went to the Royal Palace, then walked along the main shopping street Karl Johans Gate to the Opera House, which is a must see in Oslo. After a short visit to the castle we went back to the ship. We manages all this by foot without a hurry.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Oslo