Osijek Travel Answers

change location
Jasonconga's Profile Photo

Osijek airport to Banja Luka, Bosnia?

by Jasonconga Online Now May 7, 2010 at 4:48 AM

hi guys,
I arrive at Osijek airport on Sunday, May 23rd at 4pm. I need to get to Banja Luka in Bosnia that evening. I have tried to look for bus information and it appeaers there is a bus at 6pm and then I have to change somewhere but I'm not really sure. Could you please help me find these connections? Also, how is the best way to get from the airport to the bus/train station?

cheers
Jason

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • GyuriFT's Profile Photo

Re: Osijek airport to Banja Luka, Bosnia?

by GyuriFT Online Now May 7, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Where you arrive from? Using Ryanair arriving 15:55 from Frankfurt/Hahn? OK...

This is the web site of the bus station in Osijek:

autobusni-kolodvor.com/kolod...

You have two possibilities, I start with the easier and better, the other is a torture.

Possibility/1:

1) The bus you are talking about is leaving Osijek at 18:00 (6:00 PM), arriving at Slavonski Brod 19:31 (7:31 PM).
    This bus is run by Croatian www.apz-imotski.hr company and it's final destination is Imotski. It's a long-distance bus.

2) Your connection is the bus leaving Slovonski Brod 20:15 (8:15 PM), arriving Banja Luka 23:15.
    This bus is run by Bosno-Serbian www.autoprevoz.org, it's coming from Belgrade and the final destination is Banja Luka. It's a long-distance bus.

If you can manage this one - it's great. If you can't... there is still one more possibility but it's not as convenient.

Possibility/2:

1) Medium-distance bus is leaving Osijek at 18:15 (6:15 PM), arriving at Slavonski Šamac 19:31 (7:31 PM), run by Croatian Panturist Osijek.
    http://www.panturist.hr

2) Long-distance bus is leaving Slavonski Šamac at 20:10 (8:31 PM) towards Tuzla. The bus company running it is www.salinea.net

3) leave the above bus at Modriča. It will arrive at 20:55 (8:55 PM). You will have three hour lay-over in Modriča.

4) Board the Beograd - Šipovo bus which departs Modriča at 00:00 (midnight, sharp). The bus company is Bosno-Serbian http://www.smiljic.com. The bus will arrive Banja Luka at 3:00 AM.

---------

Most useful web site to navigate: http://www.autobusni-kolodvor.com I think, it's a priceless web site.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by GyuriFT Online Now May 7, 2010 at 7:22 AM

The "Modrica" with hacek on c turned to be "Modriča" unfortunately... OK, so just look at "Modrica".

• Re: Osijek airport to Banja Luka, Bosnia?

by jirzi Online Now May 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Hi,
    information is very hard to find for bus on terittory ex-Yugoslavia and often they change the timetable. This also applies to http://www.autobusni-kolodvor.com, there is a lot of inaccurate information.
    The bus from Belgrade to Banja Luka transporting passengers between Serbia and Bosnia, Croatia stops just at the border. I sent query operators that line if it is possible to travel from Slavonski Brod to Banja Luka.
    For long-distance bus is leaving Slavonski Šamac at 20:10 (8:31 PM) line Zagreb-Samac-Tuzla stated that the line is not in operation http://www.salinea.net/tzzgsam.asp and the web Bus Station Zagreb is not listed

jirzi

by GyuriFT Online Now May 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Could be, Jirzi. I am using my own four wheels in exYU. Much more convenient. Also very good because if I am really late than I just drop by to any small town police office and ask them directions or where is a good motel. In 99% the people are exceptionally friendly - on several occasions the police was calling the hotels in the area on their cellular phone and they refused to take my money to compensate them for pretty expensive calls!

by jirzi Online Now May 8, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Answer Line Carrier Salinea:
    Line Tuzla - Slavonski Samac - Zagreb does not runs more than a year.

Possibility/2 may not be used, up from Osijek not run on Saturdays and Sundays http://www.panturist.hr

jirzi

• Jasonconga's Profile Photo

by Jasonconga Online Now May 9, 2010 at 3:09 AM

So now I'm more confused than before. Can I still do possibility one as mentioned at the top or is that not possible anymore?

by GyuriFT Online Now May 9, 2010 at 5:05 AM

The #1 wasn't objected by anyone. The #2 (the torture-version) was objected by Jiri.
    Hence, keep the #1, that's your best option.

by Jasonconga Online Now May 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM

thanks for the help, I'll just have to expect to make the 6pm bus connection. :) If for some reason I don't and have to spend a night somewhere, would you suggest a night in Osijek or one of the bus connection towns like slavonski?

by GyuriFT Online Now May 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Sorry, can't suggest any particular hotel. Osijek itself is a nice but not very much inspiring city for me. I always just drove through.

Unless really somewhat unforeseen does happen you can count on to reach a bus from Vinkovci to Neum which is stopping at Osijek at 20:40 (or 8:40 PM).

That bus goes via Slavonski Brod / Bosanski Brod:

Osijek 20:40 20:40
    Djakovo 21:10 21:10
    Slavonski Brod 22:00 22:00
    Slavonski Brod (HR-BIH) 22:05 22:05
    Bosanski Brod (BIH-HR) 22:15 22:15
    Maglaj 00:05 00:05
    Zepce 00:25 00:25
    Zenica 01:00 01:00
    Kaonik 01:10 01:10
    Vitez 01:25 01:25
    Novi Travnik 01:40 01:40
    Travnik 02:00 02:00
    DonjiVakuf 02:40 02:40
    Bugojno 02:50 02:50
    Kupres 03:20 03:20
    Suica 03:35 03:35
    Livno 04:00 04:00
    Tomislavgrad 04:40 04:40
    Posusje 05:10 05:10
    Grude 05:25 05:25
    Ljubuski 05:50 05:50
    Medjugorje 06:00 06:00
    Citluk 06:15 06:15
    Mostar 07:00 07:00
    Caplja 07:30 07:30
    Doljani 07:40 07:40
    Metkovic 07:50 07:50
    Klek 08:20 08:20
    Neum 1 (BIH-HR) 08:25 08:25
    Neum 08:30

I would do somewhat unusual maybe: continue on the bus and try to convince the driver to stop at Doboj, which is between Bosanksi Brod and Maglaj. As a foreigner you would have a serious advantage ;-)

No idea, why bus drives past Doboj - but does not stop there. Either way, go till Doboj (prefered) or Maglaj.
    Doboj is about 30 minutes before Maglaj.

Sleep there and next day go by train, Doboj is THE railway center of Srpska, not Banja Luka.

Train 398 departs Maglaj 13:09, departs Doboj 13:50, arrives Banja Luka 15:42.
    Train 6520 departs Maglaj 5:54, arrives Doboj 6:30, connects to train 6402 departing Doboj 7:32, arriving Banja Luka 9:56
    Train 258 departs Maglaj 9:22, arrives Doboj 9:48

More details on http://www.zrs-rs.com

Doboj worth a short visit, it has a nice castle.
    Maglaj comes from the word "magla" (in Russian: mgla) = "fog"
    Maglaj has Kursumlija mosque, built 1560 by Kalavun Jusuf pasha.

So these cities aren't really a waste of time.

by jirzi Online Now May 10, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Reply from the bus station Banja Luka:
    Hello,
    Unfortunately, no carrier, who drive to Banja Luka, has a registered channel Slavonski Brod (for legal direction) but you have the opportunity to go over to Bosanski Brod and there waiting for Banja Luka.

All buses that travel direction from Serbia to Bosnia through Croatia just stop at the border (Slavonski / Brod Bosanski), which is not allowed get on and get out of bus.

I do not know what to advise how to get from Osijek to Banja Luka.

If you were lucky could this possibility:

1) The bus you are talking about is leaving Osijek at 17:30 arriving at Zagreb 22:00. This bus is run by Croatian company CAZMATRANS NOVA http://www.cazmatrans.hr/os-zg.html and it's final destination is Zagreb It's a long-distance bus. Ticket price approximately 17,5 EUR,

2) Your connection is the bus leaving Zagreb 22:00, arriving Banja Luka 00:40.
    This bus is run by company CENTROTRANS Sarajevo centrolines.ba/loc/template.... and CROATIA BUS croatiabus.hr/english/ruta.p..., it's coming from Belgrade and the final destination is Sarajevo. It's a long-distance bus.
    Ticket price approximately 14 EUR

I checked the info is on http://www.akz.hr/EN/voznired.aspx

I know that in Zagreb the same time of arrival and departure, but the last stop before Zagreb it is Slavonski Brod, departure 19:30. And it depends on the density of traffic on the highway and may arrive in Zagreb 10-15 minutes earlier.

jirzi

by GyuriFT Online Now May 10, 2010 at 11:30 AM

OK - that means if O.P. can handle it, he should board the first-possible bus towards Slavonski Brod. It could be the bus Jiri mentioned (17:30) or the other (18:00). The earlier the better. Than - just in case -inquire in Slavonski Brod and probably take a taxi to Bosanski Brod or walk across the border if time permits.

From Bosanski Brod board the bus as described.

Or - indeed - go till Doboj or Maglaj, stay overnight and next day continue by train.

by Jasonconga Online Now May 11, 2010 at 5:45 AM

wow, this is getting more and more complicated! haha, oh travel...

Can I please have some write out something I can show the bus driver if I try to get to Doboj so he knows to let me out? Something like:

I know Doboj is not a normal stop but I am from California and have to meet someone there. Could you please stop there for me? Thank you. Please tell me when we are in Doboj.

--------------------
    How far is Slavnoski to the border to catch the other bus?
    My birthday starts at midnight and it's starting to look like getting to Banja Luka that evening is more and more difficult.

So if I understand correctly, it's not possible to pass from Croatia to Bosnia on the bus? I can't be the only person trying to make a bus connection like that, what do other people crossing the border do?

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo

by diocletianvs Online Now May 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Just one explanation: Croatia, being a transit country, does its best to complicate things for foreign bus operators passing through Croatia. So, for instance Serbian buses that pass through Croatia on their way to a third country (Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovenia, Germany,....) can pass freely through Croatia but cannot receive new passengers in Croatia - they only have a transit licence, not a licence to connect Croatia with another country.

www.autobusni-kolodvor.com is a good website for bus travel but will often generate some connections that are not possible in reality. You will NOT be able to board a Serbian bus travelling from Belgrade to Banja Luka in Slavonski Brod!

Unfortunately for you, it seems there is no direct bus line from Eastern Slavonia to Banja Luka. You could go to Slavonski Brod and take a taxi to Bosanski Brod (they are just divided by the bridge over Sava river), but that is not guaranteed to pass without problems as well. (Starting from: does the taxi driver have a passport ready? Does he have a licence to cross to Bosnia?).

However strange it may look, your safest bet seems to be to go to Zagreb and change buses there. But I wouldn't count on the 22:00 arrival / 22:00 departure possibility - better stay the night in Zagreb. Use www.akz.hr (Zagreb bus station) for timetables.

p.s. The problem with the stop in Doboj for a Croatian bus running through Bosnia is just a reciprocal measure of the Serbian-controlled part of Bosnia and Herzegovina and it is quite unlikely that they will stop there because they might risk losing a licence for that line in the future.

by GyuriFT Online Now May 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

1) OK - but he can still go to Maglaj, which is in "Federation", sleep there and go in the morning by train to Srpska - right? For me it looks like (as an exception) train will make sense.

2) I wouldn't be THAT pessimistic about stopping the bus at Doboj. For instance it is well-known that the Priština-Vienna bus can be stopped in Budapest at the point it turns on the M3. Well... khm.. khm... this is totally illegal and they have absolutely no license for that. The round-trip from BP to PR this way is 100 Euro, much less than the airplane.
    (I am still rather driving tough).

In that spirit... I would maybe try to convince the bus driver by 20 kn. At worst, Maglaj is probably closer than Zagreb.

3) Walking the bridge between Slvaonski Brod and Bosanski Brod is not allowed?

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo

by diocletianvs Online Now May 12, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I am not sure about walking across the bridge, but I see no reason why it would not be allowed....
    Regarding stopping the bus in Doboj.... you can try, but you can't count on it for sure. I avoid doing things that are not "by the book", and I avoid giving such advices as well.

by jirzi Online Now May 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Walking the bridge between Slvaonski Brod and Bosanski Brod is allowed,and every day hundreds of people passing through (sometimes passing through).
    The bus that goes at 20:40 from Osijek to Neum may embark in Osijek and Slavonski Brod. In Bosanski Brod not stop, he does not get on.

jirzi

by Jasonconga Online Now May 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM

what about buses from bronski brod to banja luka? I'll stay in Slavonski Brod overnight if I have to, but what about when I get to Slavonski Brod, then take a taxi or cross the bridge to the Bosnian side. Are there any buses from there to Banja Luka at that hour on a Sunday night? Or do I give up and stay in Slavonski brod to to complicate my life too much? Where should I stay in Slavonski brod?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines