Osaka Travel Answers

change location

Itinerary

by Cherreen Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Hi, im Cherreen frm Singapore. i'll be traveling to Osaka on the 26may - 1june. Im aware that its summer in Osaka. But will it be as hot as Singapore? Or is the weather similar to Hongkong? Sunny but windy cold.

I heard that it will its better to visit other states. Im planning for a day trip to kyoto/kobe. Is the JR worth to buy? There's a day pass and 2 day. Which is better?

And i'll be staying in a hotel near namba for 3 nights and the sub nights will be staying at universal port hotel, was wondering if i should book my universal studio tix hotel in adv or on the day itself.

Im gonna visit rinku premium outlet, universal studio, osaka aquarium, uemeda sky building, edisu bridge dotonbori, namba park, don qui jote, osaka castle, hep five ferris wheel.
Any other place tht i should go? I love shopping. But as a first time traveling to japan i would like to visit popular tourist attraction places.

Pls advise. Thank you! :)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

Re: Itinerary

by SfumatoPants Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM

It shouldn't be as hot as Singapore at that time, high 20's into the thirties. The humidity is just beginning to rise, but it's very comfortable.
    Rail passes are most likely unnecessary. Paying as you go sounds like the best option for you.
    USJ - buying tickets in advance is probably a good idea, especially at that time of year.
    Rinku Town is sort of a waste of time since you are already staying in Namba. All the shopping is from Namba up Midosuji to Umeda, and of course, Kobe. If you want a big shopping mall maybe go to Nishinomiya.
    I think walking around Dojima is a pleasant afternoon activity on a sunny afternoon. Architecture, the river, cafes, patch of grass to lie on...
    Oh yeah, the river, that reminds me, the river cruise is interesting:
    http://www.ipponmatsu.co.jp/
    JR Tenma station for food...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Just to add, Kyoto is right beside Osaka, so getting there is a very short (around 20 mminute) local train ride; so a pass is not going to be worthwhile. If you are doing just a day trip, stick to Kyoto, the main sites are there and you will spend too much time just travelling if you try to do both.

My Kyoto page isn't great but: "Kyoto - the ancient capital of Japan" - Kyoto by GrumpyDiver

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

As mentioned, it won't be as hot as Singapore. The heat really starts closer to the end of July. It is, unfortunately, the start of the rainy season. Be prepared for some rain, but you might be lucky. You can easily buy an umbrella at a convenience store. They aren't really expensive. 500 yen each. Dollar shops, such as Daiso, also have them, but they are small and usually disposable.

JR Pass is not worth it. Day passes, may not be worth it. Probably not to be honest.

Namba is a great place. Lots of excitement around there. Lots of shopping too. If you want brands, Shinsaibashi is the area to be. Most of the major shops are on the big street running north-south. The hotel staff should know. If you are looking for regular things, the shopping street along Ebisubashi is the best. Namba also has a few department stores in the area. Everything is in walking distance.

Kobe is known for shoes. Just walk under the JR tracks (west of Sannomiya Station) and there are a lot of small shops there.

You mentioned everything you really need to see in a week. If you like Universal Studios and Aquariums, make a day of it. If you want to see some of the historical places, think about spending a couple days in Kyoto. If you don't care so much, enjoy the shopping in Osaka. A good Kyoto plan (although pretty tough) is to be there by 10am. Head to all of the temples and such and return to Osaka by dinner time. 2 days is enough for that, but you may want more. Then at night, you can still do shopping if your feet will let you. ^^

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You'll catch the beginning of the rainy season. It would be warm, but not hot.
    Don't waste a money of a JR pass since you'll be staying in Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe area.
    Definitely book hotels. You can always cancel or change the dates later, if you need.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines