Osaka Travel Answers

change location

Day trip to Kyoto from Osaka

by ZeroNiner Online Now Jun 5, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Having a relatively short stay in Osaka, would like to make a day trip to Kyoto. Any suggestions on sights & eats, and what's the most efficient way to get from Osaka to Kyoto and back? Will be staying in the Namba area in Osaka.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

Re: Day trip to Kyoto from Osaka

by SfumatoPants Online Now Jun 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Check the options using:

www.hyperdia.com

You would be traveling from Namba (Nankai, Subway, or JR) to Kyoto

There are several ways to get to Kyoto at several price points. The fastest and being around 48 minutes at Y3000. Once in Kyoto, the day pass for the bus that comes with a tourist map and guide is the best choice for getting around. Buy it at the tourist counter in Kyoto station, you will see the posters.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Jun 6, 2011 at 3:04 AM

We travelled to Kyoto by train actually we were travelling from Kobe but the train goes Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto. From Shin Osaka Station to Shin Kyoto Station only took 15 minutes. I don't know the price of the ticket as we were using a pass.

Kyoto has lots of sights and they are very spread out - some off to the east, some central, some off to the west. We made the mistake of starting off a one end of town then crossing to the other. i say mistake because the bus took a lot longer than we had anticipated. The traffic was bad. The bus was very crowded and uncomfortable because of the crowds. If I were you I would concentrate on sights that are reasonably close together.

For food we had a lovely meal in shin Kyoto Station. There were lots of restaurants and they all had plastic models of the food with clearly marked prices so it was easy to order without knowing any Japanese and we knew in advance exactly how much it would cost. Price was very reasonable.

• Re: Day trip to Kyoto from Osaka

by ZeroNiner Online Now Jun 6, 2011 at 4:45 AM

Dear Irene
    B Shin, you mean you traveled by the bullet train?

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Jun 6, 2011 at 5:21 AM

Not the fastest one. That is not covered by the Japan Rail Pass. The second fastest one Hikkari or something like that. Cannot remember the name.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines