Osaka Travel Answers

change location

Hotels in Osaka near Train?

by BrooklynRose Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Any recommendations for hotel in Osaka near train? What is the distance/time and approximate cost of a cab from Osaka airport to city center?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

Re: Hotels in Osaka near Train?

by SfumatoPants Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Kansai Int. or Itami Int. airport?

A taxi is unnescessary.

What train station do you want to be near?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • by BrooklynRose Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Thanks for quick reply. Arriving KIX from Seoul late (9 p.m.) I was afraid the airport was far from the city. But it doesn't look too far (under 20 miles). Just need a hotel (3-4 star) that is in an area where we can hop on the train to Kyoto and around Osaka. the prices I'm getting from the travel agent are ridiculous. I was quoted USD$470 for car to take us from Osaka to Kobe... They also quoted us $1800 for four nights/2 people for 3-4 star). What think ye? (Thanks so much as I don't know what I'm doing). LH

• stamporama's Profile Photo

by stamporama Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Instead of a cab, the cheapest way to the city from KIX (Kansai) is to take the JR Kansai Airport train that will take you to the city proper. To get to Kobe, you can likewise take the JR West line. As to hotels there are a number of them near and around Osaka station. The one we stayed in, The New Osaka Hotel, is something I won't recommend because of the small room size (unless you're willing to overlook this) but the price is affordable and it is right beside the Shin-Osaka stations of the JR and Marunouchi lines.

newosakahotel.com/e/index.ht...

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 7:55 AM

There are lots of business hotels in Osaka (roughly 3 star). You can also stay in Kyoto. From Osaka Station, the Kyoto Line goes directly to Kyoto. Way cheaper than the 470US car option. You can also stay in southern Osaka, but you'd have to head up to northern Osaka to get to Kyoto easily, although southern Osaka is good for heading to Nara. Lots of choices to make. :)

• Re: Hotels in Osaka near Train?

by BrooklynRose Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Dear SfumatoPants....... I booked The New Otani Hotel on line which is near a train line. shockingly cheaper than the travel agent.

Question again: I plan to purchase the JR train pass before I leave USA. If we take the train from the KIX airport do they run after 9-10 p.m. Will the shops be open for me to pick up my pre-purchased tickets?

by SfumatoPants Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

DO NOT BUY THE TRAIN PASS! It won't pay for itself. It's much cheaper to pay as you go.

Travel agents are charging you extra for service. Book directly with the hotel of your choice and you will always save.

From KIX you will take the Nankai Rap:it train to Namba. Link to follow...

Around Osaka, tourists usually stay in the Namba area or around the Umeda area.

Some hotel recommendations around Namba, for example:

crosshotel.com/eng_osaka/ind...

hotelmonterey.co.jp/en/htl/g...

nambaorientalhotel.co.jp/noh...

The first two would require a 5 minute taxi ride from the station, and the last is within walking distance.

by SfumatoPants Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

by SfumatoPants Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

OK, if you are staying at the New Otani (a nice location and hotel but somewhat out of the way, really meant for business travel to the business park it's located in) you would take the JR Haruka train from KIX to Tennoji. From Tennoji you would take a taxi, shouldn't be more than 20 minutes...

westjr.co.jp/global/en/trave...

kansai-airport.or.jp/en/acce...

• by BrooklynRose Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM

thanks very much. Changed resv and got a great deal at Best Western which is near two train lines. I'm returning the JR pass. You are right about "pay as you go". Thanks so much. Plan to pack with just carry-on so we have lots of mobility on the trains.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines