Oros Pilion Travel Answers

change location

Driving by motorhome on Oros Pilion ways

by JORDIF Online Now Aug 4, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Do you know, if it possible to drive around the ways to the goods beachs, by motorhome, RV ? Or are there some ways only you can go by car, but not by motorhome?
Someone could tell me how are routes and ways at Oros Pilion?
What are the best places to visit in Oros Pilion ?
Thanks,

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • StefanosS's Profile Photo

Re: Driving by motorhome on Oros Pilion ways

by StefanosS Online Now Aug 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Roads on Pilion are sometimes narrow and sneaky, as the mountain is quite step, but always maintained in very good condition. There is no problem with small or medium size RVs, just drive carefully. Normal buses can reach all tourist destinations. Portaria and Makrinitsa are the most popular mountainous destinations with mansions of traditional style architecture, while west coast beaches are small but wonderful. Trikeri and the settlements around it, at the east end of the peninsula, are old style, particularly scenic but of low tourist development.
    I suggest to visit the mountainous villages by using the famous "little train", you will enjoy it a lot. Then you can drive in the rest of Pilion.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nickandchris's Profile Photo

by nickandchris Online Now Aug 12, 2009 at 3:06 PM

We own a coachbuilt motorhome in England and have holidayed in the Pilion twice,the first time with the motorhome and the second with a car. As Stefanos has said, some of the roads are very narrow, especially going through villages and often beyond the road there is a long drop, do not look over the edge! We found the road down to Horefto quite challenging in a motorhome, not wide enough for two vehicles and lots of blind bends, as indeed many of the roads have on the eastern side down to the beaches.

There are certainly places we wouldn't have taken a motorhome, do not attempt the coastal road from Afissos to Lefokastron, extremely narrow even for a car in parts. Other than that, there are many places you will be able to get to! Have a look at my Virtual Tourist page on Pilion.

"Our Long Overdue Return to Pilion" - Oros Pilion by nickandchris

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

by nickandchris Online Now Aug 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM

PS. The first travelogue under my Pilion tips is about our journey in the motorhome.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines