Orlando Travel Answers

change location

Best, Fastest Transportation from cruise terminal Port Canaveral to Disney World Magic Kingdom

by meandmydog Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

We are arriving in Port Canaveral on March 19 and want to go quickly to Disney World Magic Kingdom. There are four of us. We only have 9 hours. What is the fastest, cheapest, most direct way to get there?

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Best, Fastest Transportation from cruise terminal Port Canaveral to Disney World Magic Kingdom

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Fast and Cheap don't usually go together well in Orlando. Rent a car and hop on the 528 Expressway, then south on I-4 to Exit 67 and you'll be at Disneyworld in about an hour. Note 528 is a toll road.

The ship may organize side trips but I suspect they may be more expensive as ship tours usually are.

Check portcanaveral.com/cruising/g... for shuttle information.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Best, Fastest Transportation from cruise terminal Port Canaveral to Disney World Magic Kingdom

by Homanded Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Welcome to Vt.
    As previous poster mentions, "cheap" is not necessarily conducive to what you're wanting however, I believe you will be able to arrange public transport (most efficient) through the cruise lines themselves.
    Additionally there are Port Canaveral Shuttles to the Orlando area including the general area of the park. You can google "Shuttle transport Port Canaveral to Disney".

The only problem with renting a car and driving your own is that you state you have a limited time of 9 hours.
    You need to factor in renting of the car (can take a good 1/2 hour), packing it in, driving (65 miles or about 1 hr providing you have good traffic), PARKING in Disney - another 1/2 hour to the gate - at least - then doing it all again on way back.
    You will be left with just a few hours on what is an all day park.

My 2 cents worth - go with the transport.
    Also check and see if Disney doesn't have their own set of "Disney Buses" which serve the area - I can't imagine them not having transportation to/from the Port.

Homer

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM

We just visited DW after flying into MCO and Disney has the transportation thing down to a science. I would book something on the ship. Don't know where you plan to go after DW that only gives you nine hours, but that's not much time. Also, parking at any of the parks is15 and a one day one park ticket will cost you85. Six hours or so in any park is not much time.

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Although it was quite a few years back for us, we waited nearly 40 minutes just to get to the car rental check-in desk and then be given our keys etc.
    If there is an organised trip, I would go with that as otherwise you will only be spending a couple of hours in DW itself!
    DW is not geared-up for people who are in a rush!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Personally, DW isn't a trip I'd make from Canaveral with only 9 hours to spend. As noted, the park is some distance away, you'll only end up having a few hours and tickets, IMHO, are much too expensive unless having a full day to get the good of them. As far as renting a car, there's always the risk of running into heavy traffic or some other complication and not getting back to ship by sailing time.

I guess I'd say that if you MUST do it, book a tour to ensure fastest port-to-park service and guarantee that you'll be back to the ship on time.

Otherwise you might consider seeing Kennedy Space Center - which is MUCH closer, less expensive, and gets very good reviews (better than WDW) from Cruise Critic members. Some of them have offered up suggestions for doing that one with a rental car:

cruisecritic.com/memberrevie...

We've done Kennedy and it's much more interesting than you may think. :O)

by Homanded Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Wise words indeed Kate.
    Tickets to Disney start at89.00 -116.00/pp after taxes and with a hopper option.
    Would seem like a shame for a group of 4 to spend almost400.00 + getting there for a mere 4-5 hours.
    We ourselves are doing the theme parks over 3 days and it is ending up costing us, hotels included - but no food only300.00 less than we spent for a full 10 days (flights included) to Costa Rica!!!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I hear you, Homer - Disney is obscenely expensive.

by Homanded Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Average cost of Lunch:18.00
    Average cost of Dinners:30 -60.00 !!!

• JennaTailor's Profile Photo

by JennaTailor Online Now May 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I don't think rental car is the best option for people traveling from the port to Disney just to visit the park for a day. Definitely check with your cruise line if the shared shuttle buses are available that day. If not - book a private shuttle company prior to your cruise. It will take you 1h 20-30min to get to the park. Good thing taxi/shuttle companies will drop you off right by the entrance gate (no need to walk). Leave the park at least two hours before departure of the ship.

by Homanded Online Now May 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I believe this poster was going to be in area in March.

• JennaTailor's Profile Photo

by JennaTailor Online Now May 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM

haha...i didn't look at the date : ) hope they had a great time at the park.

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Jan 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM

OK, I am going to hijack the thread, sort of. How about recommendations on transportation in Ft Lauderdale to Port Everglades. The company we used last time apparently went out of business.
    I need a mini-couch/bus because we will have 15 people plus bags from a hotel near the port to the RCCL pier. Best quote I got so far is $340 plus tip and fees.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines