Orlando Travel Answers

change location

Car hire - Cheaper when booking the holiday or when you get there?

by defmute Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Hello there,

Me and my girl friend desperately want to go to Florida this June, however due to late pay days and early final transaction fee dates we're unable to book our perfect fly drive holiday.

However I was wondering, is it cheaper or the same price to rent a car when we arrived at Orlando/Sanford air port? Or is it best to just stay with the travel agent's price.

I'll be 22 when we arrive in Orlando so I am aware of the young driver fee.

Also any advice on cheap park tickets would be a bonus!

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you,
Matthew.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • melosh's Profile Photo

Re: Car hire - Cheaper when booking the holiday or when you get there?

by melosh Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Best to reserve your car over the internet if you have a credit card. Some companies even give you a break if you prepay, but certainly the price is cheaper and the deals available much better than you will find through a travel agent or at the airport. You still pickup your car at the airport.
    I do not know how this works for a young driver, but I doubt that it cannot be arranged.

Tip 1: If you find a good price or deal on one of the general car rental sites on the internet, check the booking website of the particular rental car company that looks best for possibly a little additional savings.
    Tip 2: Be aware that beyond the quoted "rate", that there are a lot of added fees, taxes, charges and "recommended" conveniences you will see on your bill. Some will be the same for all rental cars from a particular rental site (airport vs. in-town), and others depend on the company. You will be asked to make decisions on issues like liability insurance, GPS service, automatic tollbooth charging, pre-purchased return tank fillup, and special services like car seats. Some of these decisions relate to conveniences offered free by a particular company (and charged for by others) like car seats; others might be cash neutral (You pay the car company or you pay the gas station and it happens to turn out to not to be much different cost-wise.) But some, like insurance, can make a big difference from one company to another. And if you pay for rental car company insurance when you are already covered by you usual car insurance, you are certainly wasting money.
    And when offered a "free" upgrade, remember to consider the possible change in gas millage you may receive from the "better" vehicle.
    good luck

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • omehes's Profile Photo

by omehes Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Hi,
    just a quick observation: we went to Orlando (more accurately, Kissimmee) last September and noticed that there are many many offices/shops advertising cheap park tickets. we didnt try them as we bought tickets online, but I am sure that those shops have good offers. Try them out.

have fun in Florida and definetly try out the beaches, like Cocoa Beach which is about 1 hour away. Ocean is fantastic.

rgds

O.

• davebd's Profile Photo

by davebd Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM

If you're UK-based, get car hire rates from the major companies' UK websites rather than the US sites. Book from the UK site & CDW will often be included in the price, book through the US site & it will be20-30/day extra! Most companies offer a "pay now" price which will cheaper than paying on arrival.

• Re: Car hire - Cheaper when booking the holiday or when you get there?

by naughtygirl Online Now Apr 26, 2013 at 8:46 AM

i wouldn't trust buying the tickets from anyone but the official company's, we were almost conned into that but were luckily warned not too, some friends of our's brought all their tickets from a booth over there to find out that when they got to the parks the tickets were invalid :(. ruined there holiday as they were on a budget, they never got the parks in the end :(
    We booked our car at sanford airport from the uk (make sure you have a credit card for when you get to sanford) had no problems at all, great car great service and cheap. when you drop the car off u drive into a bay and that's it, very quick and easy :)
    were off to florida for christmas :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines