Orlando Travel Answers

change location

Weather and staying cool?

by EvangelineS Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I am going to Orlando at the end of July but am worried about the humidity and heat. Everyone is saying it's soo hot but surely there's air con?
Is the heat and humidity bearable? And is it humid all day? Any tips to stay cool?
Also, is the air con massive noisy machines in the hotel or is it quiet?
Sorry for all the questions!

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Weather and staying cool?

by goodfish Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Been a few years since I was in Florida in summer but in my experience, yes, it was very hot and yes, it was humid all the time. Yes, there is air conditioning everywhere but whether it's noisy or not depends on the individual hotel. The better the hotel, probably the better chance of a quiet system.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

A couple of comments.

Yes, Orlando in July and August are very hot and humid. Not my favorite type of weather.

Yes, there is air conditioning in 99% of the buildings (I never say 100% because I'm sure there are hold outs).

My question is what are you going to be doing? I wouldn't recommend long hikes, but if this is a theme park trip then there are plenty of ways to cool off during the day by going inside buildings, water parks, etc. Even waiting in theme park lines they are generally shaded, although you will still feel the humidity.

Air conditioning in hotels will depend on the hotel you stay at. The more money you spend on a hotel generally the quieter they will be. Not always but generally.

And again what is quiet or noisy for you may be a lot different for me. I live in the suburbs of Chicago so I can tune out most noise. But if you are from a rural area you may be bothered more by noise.

Tips to stay cool. Wear lose fitting clothes. Bring your own shade in the form of an umbrella. I always wear a hat. Bring sunglasses.

1 member found this helpful

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM

riorich55 wrote:
    Tips to stay cool. Wear lose fitting clothes. Bring your own shade in the form of an umbrella. I always wear a hat. Bring sunglasses.

Yes, loose-fitting clothes in light cotton or linen fabrics are good. Try to keep your outdoor activities to early mornings and evenings: midday and afternoons are the worst time to be out in the sun/heat.   Spend a lot of time in the pool (bring sunscreen!)  Pack along a small spray bottle to fill with water for misting faces and other exposed skin during the day. Wet-wipes are good for cleaning off the grime that tends to collect on your face when it's  hot and sweaty, and feels cooling. Drink LOTS of fluids. 

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Hot and humid....yes. Depends on where you are from. When I lived in cold weather areas I felt the heat, when I moved to Florida, I acclimated to the heat. Still no where near the heat and humidity I experience in Vietnam.

Air con is almost a given in hotels and unless you are going really cheap I doubt the air con will be unduly loud, If it is, ask for another room.

As previously said, what do you plan on doing? Orlando is known for it's theme parks so I assume you plan to visit them...one....some?

If you are out and about in the sun, take your time and drink plenty of fluids. Many of the parks will not allow you to bring in coolers, but you can usually bring in a bottle of water or a sippy cup. I like to freeze some water in a cup or large water bottle and just refill it at the many fountains. You can usually get some ice from vendors (maybe for a small fee)

Shorts and loose fitting clothing is a must and I usually bring at least one extra shirt to change into when one gets drenched. (Also good it you go to parks that have water rides) If you really worry, bring a washcloth you can wet at a fountain to cool you down.

Also make sure you bring sun block as the sun can be brutal.

Have fun.

David

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Did theme parks in August and yes to all your answers. However, there was no reason to forego anything I really wanted to do. Just wear light clothing. I have a couple of white Columbia shirts that are great for such travel. They dry quickly if you do a water ride and breath well to keep you cool. In the theme parks you can find plenty of places to cool down when needed. Most of the lines have misters to help keep you cool while in line and the rides are almost to cold once you get inside.

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

"Most of the lines have misters to help keep you cool while in line and the rides are almost to cold once you get inside." What about the missus won't she keep you cool as well? Sorry couldn't resist!!

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

by TheTravelSlut Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Am going to Orlando at the end of July but am worried about the humidity and heat.
    Heat and humidity are overrated for Florida summers.

Everyone is saying it's soo hot but surely there's air con?
    There is A/C just about everywhere and even in the shade with a little breeze, it is easily tolerable. Keep hydrated!

Is the heat and humidity bearable?
    Follow the tips here and you will be fine.After all, 75 million people leave in the southeast and 25 million in Florida so there is nothing to lose sleep over.

And is it humid all day?
    Usually they build up in late morning to early afternoon, and then thunderstorms and rain cool things off.

Any tips to stay cool?
    Schedule your major outdoor activities to the early morning or early evenings and stay out of the sun and hydrate like everyone else has mentioned.

Also, is the air con massive noisy machines in the hotel or is it quiet?
    If you have a hotel that has a central controlled A/C, then all you do is set the themostat at the desired temperatures and enjoy the cool without the noise but if it is a window or wall A/C, there will be a white noise which may or may not be soothing.

• Florida999's Profile Photo

by Florida999 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Yes, it's hot, humid and miserable outside from about mid-June to end of September. I would go to a water park, or IOA ( lots of water rides) but go early, so you avoid the afternoon thunderstorms ( which, I don't think really cool anything off, they just increase the humidity)
    Put on LOTS of sunscreen,even if it is cloudy or you have a dark complexion, the sun is intense.
    Also, if you plan on spending any time indoors ( like restaurants, malls or something) bring a sweater!! They make up for the outdoor heat by cranking the AC down to freezing levels in most puplic buildings.
    Have fun! As long as you do lots of water activities you most likely will, this is where the heat comes in handy

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM

orlando is inland florida very humid and hot with temps for several days hovering in the 100'sF but plenty of cool water parks and AC all over
    cheers

• avs189's Profile Photo

by avs189 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Yeah it really gets lot of humid and you need to be constantly hydrating yourself to feel good.

I visited the sea-world ,universal studios , universal islands of adventure - we took all the rides in the scorching heat :)

I wont say its extremely tough , you can do fine just with right amount of water intake and regular short interval breaks whenever needed.

by TheTravelSlut Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM

•The average warmest month is July.
    •The highest recorded temperature was 101°F in 1998.

It rarely approaches 100 degree in Orlando...it may feel that way but with the tried and true methods to ward off the heat and humidty, you will be OK

June

Average high temperature: 90.5
    Average low temperature: 71.8
    Average precipitation: 7.32
    Average humidity (1pm): 57
    Record high (1985): 100
    Record low (1984): 53

July
    Average high temperature: 91.5
    Average low temperature: 73.1
    Average precipitation: 7.25

• Michael_D's Profile Photo

by Michael_D Online Now Apr 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Anyone who posted the temps "hover around 100F" is being foolish. I live in Orlando. It is RARE the temp nears 100f. In fact 101F is the all time record. The average high is 91F and temps DO hover around 90F. That said, with all your concerns why go to Florida in summer, why not go in fall or winter when its 74/58F and wonderful? I always chuckle when people go to the tropics and complain. Its the tropics! Even I dont go to Disney world in summer and I am a 20yr season passholder!

• Michael_D's Profile Photo

by Michael_D Online Now Apr 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

TheTravelSlut wrote:
    •The average warmest month is July. •The highest recorded temperature was 101°F in 1998.

It rarely approaches 100 degree in Orlando...it may feel that way but with the tried and true methods to ward off the heat and humidty, you will be OK

June

Average high temperature: 90.5 Average low temperature: 71.8 Average precipitation: 7.32 Average humidity (1pm): 57 Record high (1985): 100 Record low (1984): 53

July Average high temperature: 91.5 Average low temperature: 73.1 Average precipitation: 7.25

Hi ann..I posted something similar...people DO over react to temps dont they LOL

by riorich55 Online Now Apr 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Michael_D wrote:
    Anyone who posted the temps "hover around 100F" is being foolish. I live in Orlando. It is RARE the temp nears 100f. In fact 101F is the all time record. The average high is 91F and temps DO hover around 90F. That said, with all your concerns why go to Florida in summer, why not go in fall or winter when its 74/58F and wonderful? I always chuckle when people go to the tropics and complain. Its the tropics! Even I dont go to Disney world in summer and I am a 20yr season passholder!

Looks like my friend from France answered with the temps in the 100's and many years ago he went to college in Florida.  He is just used to that cooler weather in France now.  LOL  I also chuckle when people move near an airport and when there is an increase in flights of runways change you always hear a couple complaining about the noise.  What part of living near an aiport didn't you understand when you moved there in the first place. 

by TheTravelSlut Online Now Apr 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yes.....exaggeration seems to affect weather quotes whether is be coldest, hottest, wettest or driest....

Michael_D wrote:

Hi ann..I posted something similar...people DO over react to temps dont they LOL

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines