Orkney

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Archaeology

Orkney Apr 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I will have just 4 days on Orkney in May - want to see as much of the best archaeological sites possible. Will have our own transport. What would you recommend best way to make the msot of a short stay?

more

Popular Orkney Travel Answer Locations

• Archaeology

Orkney Apr 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I will have just 4 days on Orkney in May - want to see as much of the best archaeological sites possible. Will have our own transport. What would you recommend best way to make the msot of a short stay?

5 Answers Apr 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    • rainerfrank's Profile Photo

50cc-motorbike to hire

Kirkwall Mar 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM

by rainerfrank

Does any body know an agency or station or a private person in the area between Thurso and John 0`Groats or on the Orkneys of whom I can hire a 50cc or 80cc motorbike (scooter or dirtbike or similar)? I would like to go to Orkney Isles for some 5 days. Please answer soon as I am going at the end of april Thanks a lot for careing.
      With cordial greetings from Carinthia / Austria,
      Rainer

4 Answers Mar 14, 2014 at 12:15 AM
    • Day Trips and accomodation

Orkney Feb 28, 2014 at 5:10 AM

Should I stay in Kirkwall for easy access to day trips? I don't know if I will hire a car yet. Thanks

4 Answers Mar 1, 2014 at 12:44 AM
    • transportation

Orkney Dec 1, 2013 at 12:15 AM

We are trying to decide whether to take a car to the Orkneys, or hire one there or ?? We want to get off the beaten track if possible, and also see where my forbears came from on Sanday. We are coming from Australia for a week. Any suggestions?

Clara

4 Answers Dec 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    • Northern Lights?

Orkney Nov 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I'm planning a short break to Orkney (Kirkwall) at the beginning of January. I've heard next year is meant to be one of the best years for the Northern Lights. What are my chances of seeing them at Kirkwall? Do they appear often over the Orkney Islands?

Any info would be great, thank you

2 Answers Nov 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    • yvgr's Profile Photo

A question about Taxi fares in Orkney...

Orkney Jun 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Hi everyone,

It would be very helpful if someone had any idea about Taxi fares in the Orkney's. I know there are buses, but they don't seem to operate at all on Sundays. To be more specific I'd be glad if I could get an opinion about estimated fares between:

Kirkwall Airport - Kirkwall city centre

Kirkwall - Houton.

Many thanks!

3 Answers Jun 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    • yvgr's Profile Photo

Questions about Orkney/Kirkwall

Orkney Apr 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Hello,

We are planning a trip to Orkney islands in July. We wish to stay in Kirkwall for a week or so and explore the mainland/islands from here. Sadly, neither of us has a driver's licence so we wish to use the Public bus/boat traffic to get close to the historical sights.

We would also like to walk and explore the coast line from the East Mainland. Have you any advise or suggestion what bus route to use if we want to get away from city centre and get close to the Coast line?

We also worry a bit about loose dogs. Is it a common practice that farmers use dogs to watch the sheeps?

I'd appreciate any tip/advice.

Thank you!

5 Answers Apr 18, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    • Staying in Orkney this May/June - music and accommodation

Orkney Jan 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I'm just beginning to plan a trip to Scotland and have decided on visiting Orkney. We will be there end of May beginning of June and would really like to catch some traditional music. I see there is a Folk Festival at this time which would be great to visit but seems that good B&B accommodation in Stromness is difficult because of the festival. I wonder how easy it is to travel around the island ( we will have a car) and if it would be practical to stay in Kirkwall and still be able to get to a concert in Stromness. Any other info or advice would be welcome. Thanks

7 Answers Oct 14, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    • Journey to Orkney / Isle of Stronsay

Orkney Oct 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I 'm thinking about to travel to Orkney mainland and the isle of stronsay on march. Even though, it isn't the tourist season. I want to take a few days out.
      To enjoy and discover the nature. A bed and breakfast place, evening meal and grocery shop would be enough...

How are the wheater conditions on march ? What do you think about to cycle on the island ?

1 Answer Oct 29, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    • Buses from Kirwall

Kirkwall Jun 8, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Hi, I know the buses exist but I can't find a site which gives me a timetable. Even on Stagecoach or First I need a final destination and I don't know it.
      I just need to know where the buses from Kirwall go to and then I can plan my holiday. We are going in about a week's time.

4 Answers Jun 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    • September in Orkney

Orkney Feb 20, 2011 at 6:52 PM

My wife and I will be visiting Orkney for the first time in early September for several days. Will much of the bird life have moved south by then? Will it still be worth seeking the bird colonies while we are there, or should we concentrate on the historical sites?

3 Answers Feb 21, 2011 at 2:11 AM
    • Boat trip(wildlife)

Orkney May 21, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Hello.
      Could you advise any boat trip from mainland Orkney to see seals birds maybe
      whales.
      Thank you.

2 Answers May 22, 2010 at 2:46 AM
    • Stormy weather

Orkney Sep 1, 2009 at 6:18 AM

Hello,

After three times spending my holiday on the isle of Hoy in Summertime, I now want to stay at Hoy in wintertime.
      I am very fond of bad weather(gales)!
      Can anyone tell me if February is a good month to have this type of weather?
      I come by plane and will rent a car.

Regards,
      Bregtje

2 Answers Sep 1, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    • weather in June

Orkney May 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Hi there, a question for any residents of Orkney......
      Generally, what is the weather like in June?
      I will be there for a week in late June and want to pack as light as possible, so I was thinking of leaving the warm jumper and raincoat at home, it is summer after all!
      Am I being a bit too optimistic? Does the temperature every reach 30+?
      Thanks for your help!

4 Answers Jun 7, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    • Visit Orkney by city bus

Orkney Apr 9, 2008 at 2:15 AM

Hi,

given that we have a few days to visit the Orkney is it possible to visit the main touristic sites by city bus (not organized tour buses) ? The reason for this question is that we will be traveling with a 10 months-old baby and since we won't have a baby car seat we cannot really travel by car or organized tour (as they don't take infant without car seat).

Thank you ! :o)
      Hugo

1 Answer Apr 9, 2008 at 9:21 AM
    • Scrabster-Stromness or JOG - Kirkwall, from Inverness

Orkney Apr 7, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Hi,
      I was just wondering if it is easier to get from Inverness to Orkney via Scrabster or John O'Groats?
      I have no vehicle so will be getting around by train, bus and ferry.
      I see the ferries from Scrabster go to Stromness and the JOG ferries go to Kirkwall, which is the best base for traveling around the islands, boat and bus?
      Thanks for any help:-)

• Cruising

Kirkwall Jun 14, 2007 at 2:13 AM

I will be calling in at the follwing places whilst on a cruise in July 07. Any tips, please, as to what to do for a few hours just to get a "feel" for the area -very little walking required! Kirkwall, Orkneys; Torshavn, Faroes; Reyjavic,Iceland; Narsasuaq,Greenland; Nuuk,Greenland, Nanortalik,Greenland; Cobh,Ireland. Local buses would be fine.

2 Answers Jun 19, 2007 at 4:02 AM
    • accom. 2 adults a nd dog

Kirkwall Feb 18, 2007 at 11:59 AM

looking for self catering for my father and i. and my 8 yrold dog.
      lookin for something by the sea in either kirkwall or stromness.
      self catering, near a decent pub, maybe a bookies as well!!!!!!
      any reccomendatioins appreciated,
      richard.

2 Answers Apr 16, 2007 at 12:51 PM
    • debhowell's Profile Photo

Orkney in a Day

Orkney Oct 3, 2006 at 7:33 AM

Is it possible to see Skara Brae, Skaill House, Maaes Howe and some of the other neolithic sites in one day without being rushed? And what is the best mode of transportation to these sites from Stromness? Thanks! ~Deb

9 Answers Oct 9, 2006 at 12:28 PM
    • pacef's Profile Photo

pacef

Orkney Oct 27, 2005 at 1:26 AM

My wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland for a month in January (I know its not a great time) The only thing that is set in concrete about our trip is to go to see the Rangers play on New Years eve! But I have always been interested in the Orkneys Is it a really bad place to visit in winter? We live in northern Australia and it’s our fist trip overseas
      Any help/tips/advise would be great

6 Answers Oct 3, 2006 at 6:22 PM
    • deptlads's Profile Photo

The Creel

Orkney Aug 7, 2005 at 7:34 AM

We quite fancy trying this restaurant in St Margaret Hope. We'll be staying in Kirkwall and won't have our own transport.

Can anyone help with public transport options, or advise how much a taxi may cost each way?

Thanks in advance

Dave

2 Answers Sep 3, 2005 at 1:14 AM
    • Cailean_Mac's Profile Photo

Aurora Borealis

Orkney Aug 25, 2004 at 7:05 AM

I have a friend who is planning a special trip for his Mum to the Orkney islands. They would ideally like to see the Northern Lights whilst they are there. When is it best to visit ? and whereabouts is it best to stay ? Hope you can help Slainte

3 Answers Jun 4, 2005 at 3:29 AM
    • A kiwi in Orkney

Orkney Feb 12, 2004 at 3:00 PM

Kia ora This looks like a very empty forum, which is good in that it suggests Orkney is not too crowded, bad in that it suggests there is nobody here, and I will get no response. But, being the eternal optimist, I will continue. I am tentatively planning 4 weeks in Orkney and the north of Scotland around September. I wonder if anyone who has been in Orkney can: 1. recommend any budget acommodation in different areas 2. tell me if there are any horse trekking businesses

5 Answers May 11, 2004 at 12:28 PM