Oradea Travel Answers

change location

Cost of living/ general guidance

by Mariki Online Now May 13, 2006 at 3:24 PM

Hi guys,

I am a South African, living in the UK, thinking about studying at Oradea University for a Medical degree. I am trying to get as much information on Oradea as possible.

What is the average rent for an apartment, fully furnished and heated for someone living on their own?
How much should be budgeted for food and services per month?
What is the University like? Has it got a good reputation?
Is it easy for foreigners to get by in Oradea? English freely spoken?
IS their any hidden charges/pitfalls I should look out for?
Is it fairly safe for a woman living by herself?
Any areas that should be avoided?
Does anyone know anything about the medical degree?
What do you think would the effect be on the cost of living/ education fees when Romania join the EU?
Cheapest flights from the UK?

If I move to Oradea it would be for 6 years, so any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated as this would be a life changing decision for me.

Thank you

Mariki

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • oradea_dream's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Cost of living/ general guidance

by oradea_dream Online Now May 14, 2006 at 6:05 AM

Dear Mariki,
    Oradea is fairly cheap for someone coming from western Europe. Rent for a smaller flat is situated somewhere around 100 to 150 Euros per month, plus utilities, which in the winter time can amount up to 100 Euros or more. Food is fairly cheap, so can be going out in the evenings. Life is seen as hard by most locals, who can barely make ends meet. This is one of the reason why many outsiders find Romanians rather depressing. But you can always escape into the wild mountain scenery located within one hour from Oradea. Or you can go on weekend trips into the neighbouring countries like Hungary, Poland, Austria, or even Turkey.
    Many people speak foreign languages well, English is one of those languages. Besides there is a small community of expats in Oradea, and the number of foreign students is also rather big.
    As for as the university is concerned, you must know that there are many detractors out there who will tell you the worst things about it. I was personally a teaching staff at Oradea University between 1996 and 1998, however, I felt compelled to quit because of certain things I couldn't swallow. Oradea is famous for corruption and nepotism. This is the detractors version of the state of affairs at the university.
    Others will tell you a different story. Here's what I suggest. You can write a letter to Eniko Bereki, a pediatric cardiologist and professor at the U in Oradea. She is also a very good friend of mine. I suggest you write to her in person about your concerns regarding the university. Tell her you learned about about her from Mircea Moldovan, that's me. Her address is ebereki@yahoo.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Cost of living/ general guidance

by dankat24 Online Now May 15, 2006 at 10:40 AM

Well, I am doctor, and I graduated in Bucharest last year. As far as I know, Oradea doesnt have such a strong record of medical results in the past years, regarding Medicine. If we look for example at the results from the Romanian medical intnership we can easily see that Bucharest and Cluj share the first places, and not Oradea. There are various rumours about the University there, and many of them not very pleasant. I must say also that Oradea has a rather small faculty of medicine, 6 times smaller than Cluj or 10 times smaller than Bucharest, so the funds received are not that high. On several unofficials tops of Romanian Medical Universities, the best three are considered to be Bucharest, Cluj Napoca and Targu Mures. However Oradea remains a very beautiful city with a lovely atmosphere.

• RE: Cost of living/ general guidance

by H.W.Roos Online Now Mar 14, 2007 at 4:29 AM

If you need info like this you better sent me an email. I almost live there, I spent half my time in Oradea. So to give better advice I prefer not to use the forum.
    I know lots of good places there and know lots of stuff you might want to know.

My email = erwin@herow-international.com

grtz,

H.W. Roos

• joshraj's Profile Photo

Re: Cost of living/ general guidance

by joshraj Online Now Sep 17, 2007 at 7:42 AM

Hi,
    Are you here already?

Josh