Is it asuitable for a western tourist?
Has it nightlife?
Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Mique's Profile Photo

RE: Oradea

by Mique Online Now May 3, 2005 at 2:36 AM

I think Oradea is nicer then Cluj but it is a personal opinion. Again, yes it is save and ok for a western tourist. Look on Vt for pages on Cluj and Oradea and it'll give you an impression of the place. If you're in Oradea on a friday, you can meet up with the local english club. romanians and hungarians who come together every friday to practise their english. They'll be happy to tell you all about oradea.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Romanian_Bat's Profile Photo

RE: Oradea

by Romanian_Bat Online Now May 3, 2005 at 10:01 PM

1. Is it a nice city? - I can only say it is my favourite city in Western Romania, coming second only after Timisoara. Nicer than Cluj, I would say.

2. Whats the place about? It originates with the Scythes and Decanis and then the Slaves also settled there. The feudal town started to develop around an 11th century fortress (which was built, according to the legend, by King Ladislau), which was subsequently destroyed and replaced by a 15th century fortress, under the rule of Matyas Corvin. The city has great fin de siecle architecture to explore. Among the tourist attractions, I would list:
    -The City Hall building, raised in 1902-1903 in neoclassical style
    -St. Ladislau Church (1723-1733)
    -The Library Palace (1905, in a mixed style, with baroque, Renaissance and roccoco elements)
    -The Moon Church (1784, in a transition style from baroque to neoclassical)
    -The Bishops’ Palace (1762-1777, imitating Belveder Palace in Vienna)
    -The Roman-Catholic Cathedral (1752-1780, inspired by the baroque buildings of Northern Italy)

3. Is it safe? - provided one keeps his / her eyes open, just like elsewhere, it is.

4. Is it asuitable for a western tourist? - it is, as much as it is suitable for a Romanian or other Eastern, Northern or Southern person.

5. Has it nightlife? - yes, and it also hosts one of the greatest Hungarian restaurants in the country, the Capitolium (the name does not matter), close to the city hall; some of the best tokany I've ever had.

All the best,
    Alex

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Oradea