Omdurman Travel Answers

change location

Locations

by Yapeyu Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Can anyone tell me the (exact) location of teh Main Souq and the Camel Market in Omdurman? Is the Camel Market every day, every friday or every month?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Locations

by davidjo Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Your question sparked my interest so i began to investigate and it seems that this market is the largest in Africa so i have put it on my bucket list. The camel market is not only for camels but donkeys, cattle, horses, goats, firewood and grass feed. The market is located within walking distance of Souk Libya in the north of Omdurman but this blog may be interesting for you as it seems that he also has difficulty locating the camel market and even when it is held. blogs.bootsnall.com/denni/th... middleeastarab.com/sd/sudan-...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • by Yapeyu Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Well, that's my point. No one can tell you where it is. For instance, LP's map shows the Camel Market about 2 km south from the souq. I guss I can find it out once there ... I've been lost before.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Locations

by davidjo Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Of course once you are there every local in town will know where it is, but the question is , what days of the month is it held?

• Re: Locations

by Yapeyu Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Thank you Wikitravel !

- Sufi dancing (aka dhikr / whirling dervishes): Rightly recommended as a must do for visitors to Khartoum. Every Friday (except during Ramadan) tourists and visiting foreign aid workers flock to the Hamed al-Nil tomb with cameras in hand. A very colourful and noisy celebration. Its about 2km south of the Omdurman souq - ask your taxi driver to go to Ghobba al-Hamed al-Nil (15°37'32.57"N 32°27'47.87"E). Starts around 4-5pm. Free

- Nuba Wrestling – Every Friday at 4pm two teams of wrestlers battle it out in front of several hundred spectators – and it certainly is quite a spectacle and well worth the trip. Finishes around 6pm and cost 1 SDG. It’s about 12 km from central Khartoum next to souq Sita Al Haj Yousef – best get a taxi there (around 20 SDG) but you can easily find a bus back to al-Arabi in central Khartoum for 1 SDG (GPS/Google Earth co-ordinates 15°36'51.77"N , 32°38'42.46"E)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines