Olympic National Park Travel Answers

change location

No showers in Hoh campgrounds!

by darsunt Online Now Jul 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I've just found out that none of the campgrounds in Olympic National Park have showers. That includes the Hoh campground which we hope to visit in August. I was wondering:
Would a splashing at the river keep us from stinking too badly?
Would it be worth to try those camping showers?
Would it be permitted to use one in Hoh campground?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: No showers in Hoh campgrounds!

by grandmaR Online Now Jul 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

When we camped, we just washed up in the sink. We called it a sponge bath. Of course in those days most people didn't have showers. As to whether that would keep you from stinking - depends on how well you wash and how much you stink.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Jul 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Sure - some of the campgrounds have running water so just do a wash-up from a bucket.

LOL, the Hoh gets SO much rain that you could throw on a swimsuit at the first sign of a shower and let Mother Nature give you a rinse-off! :)

I have read reports of coin-op showers at a store in LaPush but haven't been able to get definitive info on that. Ask the rangers when you arrive at the park?

• Re: No showers in Hoh campgrounds!

by darsunt Online Now Jul 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I think we will try that bucket idea.
    I've heard there are paying showers in Quinalt area, also we thought of reserving a room in forks just for cleaning up. But the drive would be rather long, correct? We want to spend our time hiking.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM

We got a solar shower and it worked fine. Just don't try an early morning shower; it's VERY cold then. Let the water heat in the sun and take your shower in the evening and it is great.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Jul 4, 2011 at 9:30 PM

That's strange because I remember some of the campgrounds up there having them (Staircase in particular) - but that was quite a while back.

The state parks that have camping facilities also offer pay shower facilities, and there are a few of those scattered all over the Olympic Peninsula. Could get expensive though due to the new day use fee at state camp grounds, plus the pay showers are not too cheap. However, that is what at least one source suggests doing:

olympic.national-park.com/ca...
    "Showers - Available at Sequim Bay, Bogachiel, Dosewallips, and Lake Cushman State Parks. Contact local Chambers of Commerce for privately-owned facilities."

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Olympic National Park