Olympic National Park Travel Answers

change location
Irina80's Profile Photo

Hiking he Olympic coast

by Irina80 Online Now Sep 19, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Friends! Leaving for Seattle in a week, will have 3 days to explore the Olympic NP, i know its not enough so i'm curious to know if there is a way to leave a car somewhere, suppose, around Rialto beach, get a taxi or bus or whatever to get back up north to Ozette lake area, hike thru Ozette to the coast and down to Rialto beach, with overnight camping, is it doable??? Perhaps, someone could advise a similar itinerary, my point is to make a 10-15 mile loop instead of doing the daily round trip 3 mile hikes. Also, which is more interesting? going south of Rialto beach or north????? Thanks a lot in advance!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Marianne2's Profile Photo

Re: Hiking he Olympic coast

by Marianne2 Online Now Sep 20, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I haven't done this hike in about 10 years, but it is spectacular, although remember that it might rain, so be prepared. I can answer some of your questions:

--Rialto Beach is at La Push, and there is a campground there. You can probably leave your car there, or somewhere in La Push. However, public transport to get you up to the Ozette area is very scarce. I believe there is a non-frequent bus that circles the Olympic Peninsula, but of course this is the most deserted area and demand for bus service is minimal.

--The beach hike in the national park takes you along the US's most undeveloped wilderness coast that exists (outside of Alaska). Yes, you can camp all along the route, often in some very nice forested areas adjacent to the beaches.

--It's essential to have a tidal chart, as our tides are big (up to 13 feet), and sometimes along this 20-mile hike you can only pass around certain headlands at low tide. Three days is generally what hikers do.

--If you manage the public transport to Ozette, you should go to the Park Service ranger office there for more advice. Plus, you will need a Park Service backcountry permit. They will also have more specific info on the hike itself and the camping areas. You might want to Google them ahead to see if there's information on their website.

--Take along: sturdy boots, raingear, tent, food, water treatment tablets just in case, map, tidal chart, flashlight (torch). Today, it's raining in Seattle (first time since about August), but I hope it might clear up in a week or so.

--Another good source for detailed information on this hike is one of the series of books published by The Mountaineers (Seattle-based outdoor activity organization). There is a hiking book that covers the Olympic Peninsula.

I wish you good luck, and particularly, good weather!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Irina80's Profile Photo

by Irina80 Online Now Sep 22, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Excellent info! Thank you!!!

• Marianne2's Profile Photo

by Marianne2 Online Now Sep 22, 2008 at 12:20 PM

You are most welcome. Have a great time!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Olympic National Park