Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Antique furniture

Rhodes (Island) Oct 1, 2015 at 1:34 PM

I am looking to furnish a house in Rhodes with antique furniture. What I am looking for is traditional Greek island wooden sofas, rush taverna chairs, and old wooden table, wardrobe etc. Does anyone know if there are markets for this kind of thing, or second hand furniture and antique shops? Thank you.

• Air Minoan has any body travel with them?

Crete Island Sep 6, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Can someone tell about their experience of the flight?

Mykonos Sep 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM

We are to travel by ferry from Mykonos to Santorini in end sep 15. The two options are Seajet (Superjet) (0940-1140) and Hellenic Seaways, (Highspeed 4) (1440-1715). So as to spend an additional evening in Santorini, we would prefer the earlier Seajet Ferry. However, the internet is full of negative reviews about this. We are not so much bothered about the sea sickness issue which may have a greater effect on the Superjet being a smaller vessel. However, the issue of dependability and punctuality etc is of major concern to us. Are Superjets really all that bad or are they merely victims of bad publicity launched by competitors. I seek the help of fellow VT members to help solve the dilemma.

• Greek itinerary

Greece Sep 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM

We are 60ish couple and like slow travel. This will be our first time in Greece, 4.5 weeks in spring 2016. We will spend a few days in Athens and then the rest of the time in the Peloponnese. We like to hike and also explore history/art/food/nature. We usually rent an apartment or house for 1-2 weeks and then do day trips from there.

My question is where to situate ourselves on the Peloponnese and what islands to go to if any? I was looking at Poros, Elafonissos, or????? I thought easier to get to an island closer to the Peloponnese rather than try to get to Santorini? Suggestions would be great! We will rent a car.

• car rental in Santorini

Santorini Island Sep 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Is it possible to rent a car at the port in santorini without ordering in advance? Since I don't know the exact day, but it will be 1st week of October. will it be more expensive?

• Rachel972's Profile Photo

Greece Sep 14, 2015 at 11:36 PM

We've been there twice, driving down the mountain from the west. We saw the beginning of the road going north to Zakros, it wasn't asphalted. Do you know this road? A non asphalted and not well kept road can be broken up, especially when it crosses creeks.

Of course we'll ask at the place, but we'll get the replies of people experienced in driving this road, and maybe with jeeps.

• Ferry tickets

Greece Sep 12, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Traveling from Athens to Naxos on 17th and then Naxos to Santorini on 21st.
      Is it possible to buy one ticket with stop over in Naxos or I need to buy two Ticket.
      Ticket with stop over would be a cheaper option, if allowed.

My son is 10 years and 3 Months. Do I Need to buy child or adult ferry Ticket for him.

Athens Sep 7, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Need help in the following please: 1. Is there a Carrefour outlet in the Area the Syntagma Square and thereabouts? If yes kindly provide details.
      2. Which is the best way to get to Avenue Shopping Complex from the Hadrian's Arch area by public transport. Kindly provide details of Suburban trains and buses which connect with details of stations / stop from which to board.
      3 Any other Supermarkets in the vicinity of Plaka and thereabout.

• What Sun cream factor for Rhodes in July

Rhodes (Island) Sep 27, 2015 at 10:23 AM

What factor sun cream should i buy for a july holiday for adults and also for a 3 year old

• transportation

Greece Sep 10, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Does any one know if they have uber in Santorini or Mykonos? if so, or if none, how easy or difficult is it to go around these Islands? been there before but the last time I was there I took a tour and the bus took us everywhere, this time, still on a tour, but we have free times most of the times

• Pre-paid Mobile Phone service and Ferry Info

Greece Sep 9, 2015 at 9:21 AM

I would appreciate if someone can recommend pre-paid mobile phone service that would provide high speed internet access with minimal calls in Athens, Santorini and Naxos

Also, making ferry reservations for travel on the following dates
      Athens to Naxos - 17th Sep
      Naxos to Santorini - 21st Sep

Would you recommend Economy seats (inside) or Air Seats lounge or Berth Inside
      travel with wife and two kids (10 and 13)

• Bus vs. Car Rental

Athens Oct 1, 2015 at 9:32 AM

We will be traveling to Santorini Greece in July, 2016. I've been doing a lot of reading on using the bus system vs. renting a car and would like some guidance. I hear the buses are at full capacity during this very high tourist season, but I also hear that finding parking can be very difficult. We want to see many of the usual sights in Santorini including the beaches, ancient sights, old churches, etc. What do you suggest for transportation while we're there? If anyone recommends a rental car, do you have any tips for how to find parking at the various destinations? When we traveled to Italy, I found that we could reserve and pay ahead for parking in their parking garages in Rome where available parking is very rare. Thanks for your help!

• Making a connecting flight

Athens Sep 30, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Although I see someone who asked about making a connecting flight within the two hours they have between flights, I am asking if it is possible to make a connection if coming in to Athens on an international flight arriving 9:05 AM and taking the 10:15 AM flight on Aegean Airlines to Santorini. We will be traveling mid July 2016. The next available flight to Santorini is 1:15 pm.

• Taxi from Port- Piraeus

Greece Sep 24, 2015 at 5:29 AM

Searched web but was not able to find the answer.

Is the taxi fare from Port to city center fixed like it is from airport.

I arrive at the port via blue star ferry at 11:25 pm.

If not fixed, any idea on the fare at around mid night.

• maviyam's Profile Photo

A group transportaion from Piraeus to Athens and back

Piraeus Sep 16, 2015 at 9:11 AM

We are a group of 12 people come to Piraeus on October 1 on a cruise. Is there any possibility to get a ride from the pier at port to Athens for the group without reservations.

• o_henna's Profile Photo

Visiting santorini

Santorini Island Oct 2, 2015 at 6:18 AM

We are three friends visiting Crete (3 days)- santorini not ( 2 days) - Mykonos ( one and half day) - Paros ( 2 days)
      Please suggest if this is a good itinerary or should we make any changes. We are somewhat on a budget, so please give us guidance as where all to go and is it possible to have one bike for the three of us ....we are safe drivers and petite.

Greece Sep 11, 2015 at 9:59 PM

We are to travel by ferry from Mykonos to Santorini in end sep 15. The two options are Seajet (Superjet) (0940-1140) and Hellenic Seaways, (Highspeed 4) (1440-1715). So as to spend an additional evening in Santorini, we would prefer the earlier Seajet Ferry. However, the internet is full of negative reviews about this. We are not so much bothered about the sea sickness issue which may have a greater effect on the Superjet being a smaller vessel. However, the issue of dependability and punctuality etc is of major concern to us. Are Superjets really all that bad or are they merely victims of bad publicity launched by competitors. I seek the help of fellow VT members to help solve the dilemma.

Map of Crete

Greece Sep 12, 2015 at 7:17 AM

I've got a 1:150,000 Marco Polo map of Crete, I don't find a date on it - but the label of the store is from 2011.Should I look for other or newer maps? We're going to drive at least a week in the west side.

I remember that there were several roads on the map that hadn't been built yet, only planned (I'm not going to look for them, I just remember that we got to places where we couldn't go on).

Tickets for ferries

Greece Sep 5, 2015 at 9:41 AM

We plan to take a ferry from Heraklion to Santorini and from Santorini to Milos, and a flight from Milos to Athens, all between 1-10 of October. I'll reserve the flight, is it necessary to reserve the ferries ahead, or buy tickets when we get to the ferry?

• Taxi Fare from AIrport to Syntagma Square

Greece Sep 12, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Any estimate on the taxi fare from airport to Syntagma Square. Also, please suggest if there is a preferred taxi company with good fares.

• Olympos to Antalya

by waseemk Online Now Sep 1, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Is it possible to get from Olympos to Antalya before 9.30am by bus? We are looking to book a bus from Antalya to Goreme that leaves at 10am from Antalyla and wanted to know if it is possible to get from Olympos to Antalya by bus to make this journey. Thanks!

1 Answer Sep 2, 2014 at 12:09 AM
    • Museum hours

by winkd2 Online Now Jun 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Does anyone know the current posted hours for the Museum at Ancient Olympia?
      What about the site itself?

1 Answer Jun 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    • Transportation

by ssellers Online Now Apr 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

How far is it from Katakolon, Greece to Olympia and what is the best way to get there (bus, train, cap)?

1 Answer Apr 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    • A bit of help

by inmaculada31 Online Now Jul 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Hi Im going on acruise on Sunday and I need help for my first stop in Olimpia. I am going with MSC cruises, we are going to be in Katakolon at 12:30, we need to know what is the cheapest and a good way to get to Olimpia. What is the last train from Olimpia to Katacolon? The cruises leaves at 18.30 Thanks a lot

1 Answer Jul 25, 2011 at 1:31 AM
    • shopping

by bsatthebeach Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM

I was recently, on September 19th or 20th, in Greece on a cruise and visited Olympia. Because I added the Archiological Museum to the day I was unable to purchase anything from the shops located by the ship as I needed to return to the ship. Is there a way to find certain items on the intenet or by writing to the shops. I am looking for women's Olympia t-shirts among other items.
      Can you help me with this?

1 Answer Sep 28, 2010 at 2:30 AM
    • canadadel's Profile Photo

Train from Katakolon to Olympia

by canadadel Online Now Apr 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM

We are 5 seniors who will be arriving in Katakolon by cruise ship on Sunday September 12th of this year. Our time there is limited . . .the ship docks at 7 am and we leave at 2 pm.
      Does anyone know if it is feasible to go from Katakolon to Olympia by train? Can train tickets be bought in Katakolon? Do the trains run on time? Is it a long walk from the port to the train station? Is it a long walk from the train station in Olympia to the historic sites?

3 Answers Apr 12, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    • canadadel's Profile Photo

Taxi to Olympia

by canadadel Online Now Apr 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I am travelling to Katakolon by cruise ship on Sunday September 12, 2010. Could you tell me the cost of a taxi from the port in Katakolon to Olympia. Are taxis readily available in Katakolon? Do you think I would be better to go on the Cruise excursion?

2 Answers Apr 14, 2010 at 12:01 AM
    • Durfun's Profile Photo

Driving to Sparta

by Durfun Online Now Feb 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM

May I ask what the traffic & route is like to do this journey please?

How bad is the traffic for this leg? Is the road signage good?

Thank you

2 Answers Mar 4, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    • wonga0's Profile Photo

advice on Olympia

by wonga0 Online Now Oct 2, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Hi there, I will be staying on Zakynthos for a week and want to plan a short trip to Olympia. First I need to get a ferry from Zante to Killini on Peloponnese... and then….. can anybody advise how to get there from port Killini? Do I need to stay a nite at Olympia? Are there any sights or off beaten places to see?
      Loads of thanks!

2 Answers Nov 1, 2009 at 4:40 AM
    • Katakolon to Olympia by Train

by purrfect16 Online Now Sep 24, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Hi All! I'm also doing a cruise, and unfortunately, we're only in Katakolon from noon - 7. In researching, I found a train that runs to Olympia.
      Has anyone taken this? Since the last train leaves Olympia at 3:42pm, we'll only have 2 hours there. Is this enough time?

4 Answers Mar 29, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    • Directions from Katakolon Port to Olympia

by TravelTwee Online Now Jun 11, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I was wondering if I could get directions to get to Olympia from the Katakolon port. I will be renting a car from the port.

Also, is it an easy drive?

Thanks in advance.

1 Answer Apr 10, 2008 at 11:40 AM
    • mavl's Profile Photo

by mavl Online Now May 3, 2007 at 11:55 AM

what time does the last bus for athens leave olympia? planning to take it on a thursday, mid july.

4 Answers May 3, 2007 at 8:53 PM
    • hostel in olympia

by lukiee Online Now Jul 26, 2006 at 7:51 AM

i am going to olympia in a few days and wanted to know if there are any hostels or cheap hotels to stay

1 Answer Jul 28, 2006 at 12:16 PM
    • Olympia from Katakolon with a wheelchair

by Toptouristpete Online Now Sep 25, 2005 at 12:47 PM

Hi, I am travelling with my parents to Katakolon (via a cruise ship) in October. My dad is in a wheelchair. Does anyone know whether I can take a taxi from the port to Olympia and about how much it would cost (4 passengers)? Is the archaeological museum accessible to wheelchairs? Thanks Pete

2 Answers Sep 26, 2005 at 12:55 AM
    • Olympia to Meteora?

by kirtchik Online Now Sep 20, 2005 at 7:01 AM

Could someone tell me whats the fastest way to get from Olympia to Meteora?
      Is there a night bus and how long would the bus take?

Thank you so much!

• Olympia from Katakolon

by Redisca Online Now Aug 12, 2005 at 11:58 AM

Is it possible to reach Olympia from the port of Katakolon without taking a cruiseline excursion? Are there buses around the port area? Any details would be helpful. Thanks.

2 Answers Aug 13, 2005 at 3:18 AM
    • pension/hotel recommendations?

by marigolden Online Now Feb 26, 2005 at 12:19 AM

Where is inexpensive but clean/safe to stay in Olympia and Kalamata?

Any recommendations?

1 Answer Feb 28, 2005 at 7:56 AM
    • Travelling around Peloponnese, Greece

by Sandpipers Online Now Feb 2, 2005 at 2:14 AM

We will be sailing from Bari, Italy to Patras, Greece, and will have a few days to explore enroute to Athens. We'd like to know how you'd recommend travelling around the Peloponnese area, as if we can, we'd love to see Olympia, Monemvasia and Mycenae.. The Diakofto-Kalavryta railway sounds fantastic, too, if we take the train across. Suggestions?

3 Answers Aug 3, 2005 at 12:57 AM