Oklahoma City Travel Answers

change location

Visiting OU Medical Center

by Marcth40 Online Now Jul 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I'm visiting the OU Medical Center in either September or October. I read that best hotels would be in downtown/Bricktown. I was looking at the Hampton Inn Bricktown and wanted to know if this was a good hotel and location. I was looking at the room rates and seems to be more expensive in October than September which I was surprised about. Anyway I wanted to know if there is any form of transportation from the hotel to the Medical Center. Also I should have 2 or 3 days to sightsee, is there plenty to do in this area. Quail Springs Mall would also be of interest if there it is not to far away and easy to get to. Lastly wondered what month would be best to come and what the weather is like. Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting OU Medical Center

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 17, 2012 at 2:21 PM

That Hampton Inn is across the street from the ballpark and has a number of places to eat (and drink) within a very short walk. We stayed in either the Sheraton or the Hilton north of the convention center, which is maybe a quarter mile to the west across the railroad tracks in downtown, but we walked without a problem to bricktown, so either location works. I don't see anything wrong with either bricktown or downtown as a location.

I don't know why October is more expensive; maybe there is a big convention in town in October - the Hampton Inn is close enough to be affected by that.

I am sure that there are buses...you are starting at downtown/bricktown and going to the south end of the State Capitol district where the OU Medical Center is (well, "are", as there are many buildings with different hospitals around town). Take a look at http://www.gometro.org/ which is the bus system website...the only question will be which bus...I didn't see a route finder on the website (but do look), so maybe you should give them a shout for help.

There is plenty to do for 2 or 3 days. If nothing else, walk across downtown to the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and see the priceless Chihuly glass exhibit - http://www.okcmoa.com/
    I guarantee that jaded museum goers will be impressed.

On the other extreme, you also have to see the site of the Oklahoma City bombing...the location and the layout of the memorial stuns you...

Review the Convention and Visitors Bureau website at
    http://www.visitokc.com/
    where everything to see will be laid out.

Best time to go? September will be hot...so October may or may not be noticeably cooler...in Oklahoma, it just depends on when the cold fronts start coming. I would think, however, that if you want to see a minor league baseball game, that you should check the schedules and see if they are still playing in September - surely not in October.

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Visiting OU Medical Center

by Marcth40 Online Now Jul 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Thanks Bill, very helpful information.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Oklahoma City