Oklahoma City Travel Answers

change location

Parking for Amtrak

by oldcoot Online Now May 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I will be catching the Amtrak in June and need to leave my car in a safe place for about a week. The OKC convention bureau suggest at the Cox convention center, but the map looks confusing. How far is it to walk from parking at the convention center to the Amtrak station and would it be safe at night when I return? Thanks for the advice.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Parking for Amtrak

by mccalpin Online Now May 6, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Did they suggest underground at Cox or at a surface lot?

The Amtrak station is on the road that runs down the east side of the convention center. There is an entrance to the underground garage on that side, so it's not at all a far walk. I think that there are surface lots on the other side of the convention center, so that's why I asked.

This area is just across the tracks from the Bricktown area, where there is the minor league baseball park and many restaurants. At night, there is not a lot of pedestrian traffic on the road in front of the Amtrak station, but there are plenty of people nearby either at the hotels north of the convention center or across the rail line in Bricktown. The rail line is elevated, so you'd have to walk through an underpass to get to Bricktown, so you'll feel sort of isolated from it, but it's not far away in terms of steps.

My question would be what are the hours of the underground parking at the convention center? Would there be a cashier on duty to let you out?

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Parking for Amtrak

by oldcoot Online Now May 7, 2008 at 4:31 AM

Thanks for the tips. I will check on the times for access. What are decent (not overpriced) hotels near there?

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Parking for Amtrak

by mccalpin Online Now May 7, 2008 at 5:58 AM

I don't know what is overpriced to you, but I have stayed at the Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel which is immediately north (across the street) from the Convention Center. It's not cheap, which is what you would expect from an upscale business hotel next to the convention center; but for convention attendees, it couldn't be more convenient.

Otherwise, in Oklahoma City, we stay 5 miles north of downtown at the Waterford Marriott Hotel. It is in the middle of a very high end residential neighborhood, and happens to be near a quilt store that my wife likes. But it is also not cheap (although cheaper than the downtown hotel), and may be much nicer than you require...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Oklahoma City