Okinawa Travel Answers

change location
musiccontempo's Profile Photo

december holiday

by musiccontempo Online Now Sep 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM

hi all, i thinking to visit okinawa decemeber with my wife, probably a week stay, can anyone advise on weather condition, and is it crowded? beside hotel, any unique inn or apartment comfortable to stay? is it easy renting a car and tour around or public transport the best?, cos last time in tokyo taxi is very expensive . aside from google okinawa, i hve no clue about this place, good to advise any unusual spot goood to visit?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

Re: december holiday

by SfumatoPants Online Now Sep 15, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Strangely enough, Okinawa is a beach resort that doesn't happen in the winter. The temperatures can get down to a mighty cold 20 in the daytime and even 15 at night. It's windy and can be stormy so the beach isn't attractive.

It is off season so you can get some good deals.

Just to hang out, sure, why not? Rent a car and drive around... Plenty of historic sights to see and things to eat.

If you want a winter beach getaway better head to SEA. If you want an Urban get away, I would think that Singapore, or even Taipei, might be more interesting since the point of Okinawa is really the beach scene.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Sep 15, 2011 at 7:13 AM

data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/dat...

If you want pure statistics, this is the easiest way. Look under Naha.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Sep 15, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Here is the response I input in your other (World) forum.......:

Iwish I could be more helpful regarding accommodations, but my last trip there I was fronting a group of oceanographers on a tour through several islands, and the reason to stop in Okinawa, was what is likely the most amazing aquarium in the world. It is phenomenal!

There is a film that just came out here in the U.S., regarding a "true story" about a dolphin that lost its tail, and with a dramatic rendering of how an artificial tail was designed and fitted onto the dolphin. The drama is largely fiction, but the tailless dolphin was real and the artificial tail was designed right there in the aquarium on Okinawa. They are not new at this, as they have a dolphin there now with an artificial fin. Have fun!

oki-churaumi.jp/en/guide/hai...

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Online Now Sep 16, 2011 at 5:29 AM

Crowded or not depends on when in December you plan to go there. The early to mid December is off season, it goes back into the travel season right before Christmas till January 3 or so for the holiday travelers.

If you plan to stay there for a week, it would be fun and convenience to rent a car. I lived in Okinawa a while ago. You see very much different life style and scenery up North compare to Naha.

• olddude's Profile Photo

by olddude Online Now Sep 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Please read my Okinawa pages...just too much to mention here in an answer to you. I lived there for several years, somewhat recently, and can tell you the beach is NOT the only thing going in Okinawa. Since you have never been, I assume you will probably stay in or around Naha, the capitol city. If you do, renting a car may actually be a bit of inconvenience due to traffic and parking. Taxis are expensive, but the buses are not so expensive and there is a monorail in Naha that goes from the airport to many of the major tourist areas in Naha and it is reasonably priced. Those are your only options for transportation because unlike Tokyo, Okinawa does not have an rail service of any kind. Here is a good link that you probably wouldn't have found on google, to give some idea of things to do and places to stay, but like I said, check out my pages:

http://www.okinawastory.jp/en/

Whatever you do, if you get the chance, get up to Okinawa City one night and stop in to Paddy Mac's Irish Pub and say hello to Martin McIntyre, the owner and have a pint of Guinness. Tell him Al sent you.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines