Okinawa Travel Answers

change location
MaureenR's Profile Photo

ATM's

by MaureenR Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Can I use my visa debit card to withdraw cash from ATM,s in Okinawa?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: ATM's

by xymmot Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 5:51 AM

you should have a pin number with you , need that first. Then find a ATM, preferred at a bank, insert card, follow prompt, enter pin, withdraw money.

cheers tommy x and thanks for the tips

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:11 AM

If Okinawa is like the rest of Japan, then your foreign card will not work at all ATMs. At last report things have not changed since our visit to Japan (this comes from our daughter who lives and works there), you will have to use the ATMs at the Post Office or the 7-11 stores to withdraw money. The ones at normal banks do not work for her Canadian bank card.

• olddude's Profile Photo

by olddude Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html
    japanupdate.com/2012/10/atms...

I only included those links for more detailed reference, but as other posters have said, post offices and 7-11s will work better for you when using a foreign ATM card. Banks on Okinawa only recently started taking foreign debit cards. Just make sure you are aware of what type of foriegn exchange fees you will be charged and that post offices on Okinawa will NOT be 24/7.

Additionally, some of the ATMs in major department stores on Okinawa will allow you to use your card. I believe JUSCO stores ATMs and San-A ATMs will take a foreign card.

• MaureenR's Profile Photo

by MaureenR Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Thank you all so much - I would hate to run out of cash and not be able to access any more...I assume from reading your comments that the ATM's are inside, rather than outside the post office, hence the need to use them during opening hours?

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Yes, you will have to use the machines during business hours. Some major banks are getting better with reading cards, although it will depend on your card. I had friends who had the exact same card, same bank, and one worked while the other didn't. I don't know why.

For after hours withdraws, 7-11 is open 24/7. Not sure how common they are in Okinawa though.

• SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yes.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines