Ohrid Travel Answers

change location
Jasonconga's Profile Photo

Bus from Thessaloniki to Ohrid

by Jasonconga Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM

hey guys,
was hoping to get an update from the thread that was down below that was 4 years old. Is it possible to take a bus from Thessaloniki to Ohrid or does the journey still require a taxi change from Florina to Bitola?

Quote & Answer
71 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: Bus from Thessaloniki to Ohrid

by wise23girl Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM

MacedonianUK will have the answer to that(Florina to Ohrid)...but others may answer. You can certainly still get a bus from Ohrid to Bitola (May 2011)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Sorry still same situation.. With Greek osterity plans is even vorse... Unfortunately..
    Best, cheapest and short time is:
    Ohrid to Bitola (bus one way is 250 MKD denars) there are 6 daily in winter time and up to 12 summer time.. Bitola to Florina - Taxi (if you need good realable tax, and cheaper than the rest, send me PM, we used it for the EuroMeet last year in Bitola and Ohrid)
    From Florina to Thessaloniki bus only. Trains do not operate.
    Greek railway is bust!
    One way ticket 15.70 euros.. take 3 hrs. first bus is out at 7.10am Greek time wguch is CET +1 and GMT+2. MAcedonia is CET 0...
    Check link below for info how to and from Macedonia airport Thessaloniki, explanation for how to get to Bitola and Ohrid..

"EuroMeet Bitola & Ohrid, May 27-30, 2011" - EuroMeet-MKD-2011's Profile

Regards,
    Valentina

• Jasonconga's Profile Photo

by Jasonconga Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

thanks for your answer, I land at 2:15pm on a Saturday in February, it seems I should probably stay the first night in Thessaloniki and head off to Macedonia in the morning. What do you think about this 7 day itinerary?

1 thessaonolik
    2/3/4 Ohrid/Krusevo/Bitola
    5/6 Skopje
    7 Prizren, kosovo

My main interest will be photographing architecture and street scenes, and probably couchsurfing. Is it better to stay in one town for the 3 days and just make daytrips to each or one night in each?

thanks

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

DEffo stay in Bitola and go for a day to Ohrid, walk around the old town UNESCO WHS.. lots of photo oportunity.. From the platou of St Pantelejmon church you can take great photos of the lake , and from the upper level of the Samoil fortress. Entrance to the fortress 100 MKD denars. The play of the sky over the lake is amazing...
    From Bitola you can spend day in Krushevo, but also I suggest to spend few hrs in Malovishta village near Bitola, only village within NP Pelister. relic of the past.. you might like to go to the Kopanki slopes on Pelister (taxi 200MKd dinars on way)and take the ski lift up to the mountain loge, and lots and lots photo opportunities...
    Look on my Bitola page for inspiration.
    For good lodging choose between Tokin house and De Niro, (but ask to stay in the old building) I personally like Tokin house, and they have discount now trough the winter. My friends regularly stay there when they visit during the summer months..
    www.tokin-house.com
    For that matter contact Natasha and tell her Valentina gave you contact details, she will be very happy to accommodate you.. And if you mention VT you will get some better deals..They had been our hosts during the VT meet...
    I would after Bitola (take bus) move to Skopje and stay at Pine guest house in Kapishtec, they charge 25 euros per night with breakfast, which is very good price.
    http://www.hotelpine.com.mk/
    In the end of the 3 day wine and food crawl around MKD, VT-ers stayed there. Is quiet, very clean and confy, and 10 min walk from the sqare Macedonia. Also good bus links if you need bus.
    There are 2 buses daily to Prizren, one at 11am and other at 16.30 from Skopje.
    sas.com.mk/index.php?option=...
    I would come back with the last bus to Skopje and stay the night. Next day at 7.30am you have bus to Thessaloniki with Makedonija soobrakaj. Arives in Thessaloniki around 11.30.

www.travel2macedonia.com for more info

if you need more info drop me PM.
    Valentina

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Sounds like a decent itinerary for the Macedonian part, although 2 days in Skopje is maybe a bit much.

But since you're looking for street scenes it maybe is what you want? The post office is certainly interesting from an architecture point of view I guess, judge for yourself..(I have some pictures on my Skopje page). Last summer the center of Skopje still was a big building place for the Skopje 2014 project, not too attractive for pictures.

What about the more rural architecture? Wouldn't that be interesting as well?

Any particular reason you picked Krusevo? Not the most mainstream destination...

Cheers,
    Dennis

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM

BTW, do not stay in Thessaloniki, is too expensive for what you get. For example Holiday Inn on Monastery St near the train station is well over 120Euros a night... I would strait away go to Florina, and arrange for taxi to pick you up from Bitola.. Drop your things at the hotel and start walking on Shirok Sokak, you will find lots of photo opportunities...
    Macedonia Bus station-Thessaloniki:
    ktelmacedonia.gr/en/content/...

I am not sure there is an couch surfers in Bitola, but there are deffo in Skopje..
    Krushevo will offer amazing photo opportunity.. Old architecture, winding streets, winter and the slopes... Krushevo together with Mavrovo and now Kozuf is top Macedonian ski centers...

Let me know if you need more help.
    Valentina

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Hi Jason, if you start early you can get most of Bitola in one day. The staff at Heraclea let us in to the site early in the morning before formal opening (I guess we asked in a nice way). Ohrid can easily take a couple of days and there are fascinating sites outside of the main town area, e.g. Bay of Bones, St. Naum Monastery. We just drove through Skopje but nothing stood out, however, a short drive away is Tetsova which has some interesting photo ops. Karl

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Yep, Karl is right Tetovo is Worth visit.
    Totally forgot about it. Thanks Karl!!

by Jasonconga Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 6:24 AM

So now it looks like I should get out of Thessaoniliki and plan to get to Florina as soon as possible and have a pre-arranged taxi waiting for me?

Getting to Bitola on the first night, even if it's already well into the evening would help a lot I think.

Day 1/2/3 Bitola
    with Ohrid, Prilep and/or Krushevo
    Day 4 Tetovo
    Day 5 ?? Tetovo or Skopje
    Day 6/7 Prizren

I'm more into smaller cities and college towns rather than large metropolitan southern european cities. :)

Again, my flight lands around 2:15pm. What are my chances realistically of getting to Bitola at a reasonable hour the same evening? I don't mind paying for the taxi to Bitola. What costs am I realistically looking at?

Airport taxi to bus station? (or is there a direct connection bus between them that is not far?)
    bus to florina? (departure times/duration/cost)
    taxi across border directly to Bitola or just across the border?

Does my itinerary seem reasonable? I plan to couchsurf a few nights and get a room the other nights. Thanks for your help! You guys are helping me get more and more excited for the trip!

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Let's say you get the Bus to Florina at 16.00 you will Be in Florina around 19.30. taxi ich's you up you are in Bitola around 19.30. Bear in mind Greece is + 1 CET And Macedonia is 0 CET.
    Get yourself hotel stay the Night...
    Next Day explore Bitola. Than bus to Prilep. Stay the Night, Next Day Prilep, krushevo bus to Ohrid. Night in Ohrid all Day Sightseeing, another Night in OH half Day at Sv Naum, back toOH And bus to Tetovo... Half Day in Tetovo than afternoon bus to Prizren,( 3 Buses Daily) Night in Prizren. Day Sightseeing than bus to Skopje,evening And overnight in SK . Day in SK And bus to Thessaloniki And your flight...
    Taxi will cost you around €25 to come And Pick you up from Florina...
    Let me Know If you Need more Info.

Valentina

by Jasonconga Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM

wow, thanks for the info, just one small correction:

I'm flying into Thessaonaliki and OUT of Pristina, Kosovo.

Do I absolutely need skopje in the trip?

Are there direct buses from Thessanoliki to Florina?

Do I order the taxi from Florina to Bitola ahead of time? Can I pay in Euros?

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I think you will Enjoy Skopje... It has been destroyed in wattierend in '63. Rebuild with Great Futuristic buildings... The old Part is Great, specialy the Ottoman haratage of the town.
    Only 2 mosques in Europe are Build at Sultan Murat II Direct Order And Findung And they are lavish, One in Skopje One in Sarajevo....
    Mother Theresa Memorial House, take the pod Lift to the Top of Vodno mnt. Amazing vistas... Also the bus from town to the Lift is free, you can Pick it up near Porta Makedonija opposite Record...the pod Lift cost 100 MKD for Return Ticket...
    You Fight like to tie half Day Trip to Matka gorge, there is a bus to Malta village And about 30 min Walk into the gorge. There is an XII Century Church of St Andrew there... Even in Winter is Full of walkers. St saiviour Church in old Part is MUST.
    The carvings of the icokostases are One of 4 amazing Works of Art, by Peter Garkata from Village of Gari i W Macedonia... Others are St Demetrious Church in Bitola, St Jovan Bigorski Monastery,St Gavril Lesnovski Monastery... Worth your stop in Skopje. And As you are visiting in Feb you can catch the Show of neolitic Findlings in the Museum of Macedonia. I Saw preview( Friend of Mine worked on this in the last 3 Summers) And is Great!!!
    I personaly would leave Prizren for another Trip with other Great Sites in Kosovo, And Montenegro or Northen Albania, And concetrate only on Macedonia As you have only a Week.
    Ppl who Atemweg the EuroMeet last Year in Macedonia wild Tell you that you Need atleast 4 days for Ohrid Only... There is Lots to See And do...
    For Taxi Info, Drop me Personal Massage And I will give you Details of the taxi we used for the Meet. It is Great Value for Money And He is very lunchten And helpfull..
    Let me Know If you Need more help...

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM

BTW I hate my Iphone4. Has German spelling And I am sorry for mistakes made. Cant selige them.. :(

by Pijlmans Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I would even choose Skopje over Tetovo if I had to choose!

Lake Matka near Skopje is also nice for some picture opportunities...

If budget is a problem (or maybe you just like couch surfing :-) you can consider staying in a monastery as well...

There's a monastery close to Krusevo (members.virtualtourist.com/m...

Near Ohrid as well: "Monastery of St Petka (1 of 3)" - Velgosti Things to Do Tip by Pijlmans

The famous Trescavec Monastery near Prilep: "Monastery of Treskavec, Prilep" - Prilep Off The Beaten Path Tip by Pijlmans

Cheers,
    Dennis

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I agree with Dennis, you can stay in the monasteries for very small amount, virtualy free.
    Near Prilep you can stay at Zrze Monastery:
    "Monastery of Sv Preobrazenie-Zrze" - Zrze by MacedonianUK

Jovan Bigorski Monastery started taking ppl in since end of september...
    But you can find homestays for 10 Euros a nigh, easy...

by Jasonconga Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Well, I do like couchsurfing, and am on a bit of a budget but I don't need to stay in the cheapest place. Staying in a monastery for one night sounds awesome.

So now you're making me think

day 1/2/3/4? ohrid area with krushevo monastery?
    day 5/6 skopje
    day 7 pristina
    (leave the next

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Day1 arrive in Bitola
    Day2 Bitola evening bus to Prilep
    Day3 Prilep and Krushevo (evening bus to Ohrid)
    day 4 Ohrid
    Day 5 Ohrid (afternoon bus to Tetovo, than evening bus to Skopje)
    Day 6 Skopje
    Day 7 Skope/matka and bus to Prishtina for your flight..
    Thinking your flight is in the afternoon on day 7.. If not Matka can be squeezed in the afternoon on day 6... Or if you do not have time for Matka, than Sv Pantelejmon at Nerezi village is MUST.
    Lamentation of Christ frescoe is 200 older that one of Giotto in Padua...

This is only my take on it, but it gives you time, (considering travel time, and thing to see, photos to take)
    Chek my pages on Bitola, Ohrid and few others for inspiration...

by Jasonconga Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I love your plan, it looks like the kind of traveling i like for a trip like this, 1 and 2 night stays.

Here's a question:
    I like having shorter bus journeys when possible so was thinking more like

bitola
    ohrid
    ohrid
    krushevo day then to prilep monastery
    skopje
    skopje/tetovo OR matka
    skopje or??

I would really like to spend one night in Kosovo, that can be Pristina or some other place, what would you suggest?

Your advice is really helpful, cheers!

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

if you follow the flow, I would do:
    Bitola,
    Prilep/Krushevo
    Ohrid
    Ohrid
    Tetovo/Matka
    Skopje
    Skopje7Prishtina
    flight..
    you do not want to go NW from Bitola to Ohrid, than come SE, for again to go further NW, than north than Kosovo, too much zig-zag....

Bitola -Ptilep 44km (Transkop bus, 7 dailyfrom Bitola)
    Prilep-Krushevo 27km
    Krushevo-Ohrid via Bitola about 121km (4 daily to Bitola and 6 daily from BT to OH)
    Ohrid-Tetovo 132km with stop at Jovan Bigorski monastery (4 daily)...
    Tetovo-Skopje 48km (every half an hour)

for Prishtina there are 12 daily from Skopje

www.sas.com.mk/en/

by Jasonconga Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM

What are the first things on your list there you would cut if time started getting short? Matka or the monastery or one night less in skopje?

Best places for a sunset or sunrise?
    Favorite dining experience?
    Favorite place for rural/small town life that can be charming in a photo frame?
    Favorite daytrip?

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM

If the time gets short, cut out Matka.. but do Nerezi Church.. You might want to cut the monastery stay.. but see how it goes..
    The internary I suggested, is doable in 7 days..
    I personally wouldnt stay in Prishtina, concentrate on Macedonia, just take bus to the airport.
    Prishtina doesnt have any apeal.. I rather spend time in Prizren, Gjakovo, Dechani...
    I will make sure I am on the hill overlooking the lake Ohrid by the fortress at down for good photos..
    Or at Sv Jovan Kaneo church (sunrise/sundown)
    Lori aka Loripori has great little page on Ohrid check it out!
    Painted mosque in Tetovo, and the bridge near by over the river Pena..
    There are so many wonderful photo oportunities...
    "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA" - Ohrid by LoriPori

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Fav dining experiance:
    Bitola: definately Grne on Shirok sokak try macedonian national dishes..

Ohrid: Belvedere Restaurant (kaj chetkarot) have to try ohridska torta for desert.. (both places were chosen for Euromeet dinners)

Prilep:Makedonska Kuka restaurant

Skopje: Ljuc restaurant/watering hole.. real dum from outside, but food is mmmmmmmm! On Zeleznichka st, behind Ramstor mall.

Rural town?A plenty..
    Bitola has great arhitecture, as for very small place than I would choose Prilep, Krushevo or Resen.. (as you are keeping to W Macedonia)

One of the fav day trips?
    this is asking how long is pice of string?
    Day trip to Stobi Roman site near Kavadarci and lunch + wine testing at Tikvesh Winery...
    http://www.tikves.com.mk/

Also day trip to eather Shtip or Strumica in central and SW Macedonia...
    Strumica for wine tasting and natural SPAs, monasteries and nature
    Shtip for the forthres Isarot, roman site Astibo, great little restoran called Necko2 where you can have fresh local food and good wine...
    I can go on and on...

by Pijlmans Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM

For the real rural towns, just leave the main road at any place...There will be many houses where they keep animals...

There are a few near Ohrid in the mountains, such as Ramne "Rural Ramne" - Ramne by Pijlmans and the villages along the road to St Naum (Did somebody already ST Naum at the south end of Lake Ohrid as a must-see :-)

And I guess you indeed don't want to miss the church at Kaneoo, the most photographed church of Macedonia due to its location on the cliff.

by Jasonconga Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Ok, so it looks like I will try and stay in Tokin house in bitola the first two nights, then maybe couch surf in prilep, then the monastery in krushevo, couch surf in tetovo, then in prizren for one nit somewhere. Can't wait!

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I am wondering now what kind of heating is used in the monastery near Krusevo...We were there in the summer...

Inform yourself or prepare for a chilly night :-)

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Yes, with the weather being bad, I would cut out monastery stay.
    Dennis is right, get good info on heating. Monasteries in MKD are usualy high up in the mountain. Tonight Bitola is -22c, Prilep is similar and there is lots of snow. Mini blizzard yesterday in Macedonia..
    Make sure you pack up warm things and sturdy boots. Do not forget longjons!

by Jasonconga Online Now Feb 5, 2012 at 2:44 AM

And is it possible to go from Tetovo direct to Prizren, Kosovo or do I have to go through Skopje/Pristina? Am I missing that much by not seeing Skopje or does it definitely deserve a night? As I said above, I'm into smaller towns that are easier to get a feel for after a day or two.

So, no monastery and I'll add a night in Krushevo then for photographic purposes...

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 5, 2012 at 3:53 AM

As is a winter and the conditions are bit harsh at the moment, I would concentrate to one country.
    Specialy as the road conditions hence buses might take moer time than usual to get from A to B.
    I would leave Prizren for any other occation or grouped together with Montenegro or Northen Albania.
    On the other hand Albania is worth time on its own..
    I will concentrate on Macedonia only this time.
    You have only 7 days, so plan well and give extra hour for transport, simply as it is an lots of show.
    For example some of the high mountain passes like STARZA (between Ohrid-Skopje) is slosed off at the moment.. They are working on reopening that route and cleaning the snow..
    www.dnevnik.com.mk is Macedonian daily and have page in englihs but most inportant you can follow the weather stories there... Just to be prepared

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 5, 2012 at 3:55 AM

to answer your Q: there is direct bus from Tetovo to Prizren goes once a day, I think in winter, in summer months is 2 daily.

by Jasonconga Online Now Feb 11, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Ok, we're getting closer to the trip, it's starting to shape up like:

Feb 18/19 Bitola
    Feb 20 (hire driver for trip to Ohrid, etc, drop me off in Prilep)
    feb 20/21 Prilep
    Feb 22 bus to Tetovo
    Feb 22/23 tetovo (hire a driver again to go to Gostivar, etc)
    feb 24 bus to Prizren
    Feb 24 prizren
    feb 25 bus in the afternoon to pristina and then fly home around 7pm

Do you have suggestions where to stay in Prilep?

I am still flexible and could spend 2 days in skopje but for some reason I'm focusing on the smaller towns because it's easier to get a feel after a day and a half. And maybe you say 2 days in prilep is too much but imagine after hiring a driver all day, I'll get to Prilep in the evening, sleep the first night and then have all day in prilep and then the next day taking a bus to tetovo.

What is the bus schedule for buses from Prilep to Tetovo?

thanks so much for all your help, you are going to make my trip much better!!

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ohrid