Ohio Travel Answers

change location
MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Places to visit between Dearborn MI & Clivelend OH

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Next month we will be for 12 days in Michigen, we would spend 4 days visiting family friend in Cliveland. We will be driving and altho the drive is about 3 hrs is very boring, specially the turnpike.
So we were thinking of stopping somewhere between both Cities for a lunch and look see.. can you suggest somewhere interesting not faraway from the motorway?
We are taking interstate 75 and packing up the Turnpike at Toledo all the way to Cliveland.
any suggestions are very welcome. Many thanks
V

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Places to visit between Dearborn MI & Clivelend OH

by riorich55 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM

If I was taking that trip I would have lunch at the original Tony Packos in Toledo. The original restaurant is on Front Street in the Hungarian part of town. This will give you a little slice of Americana and get you off the highway for a little bit.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by riorich55 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Oops, meant to add their website.

http://www.tonypacko.com/

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thanks Rich, I sure will stop if only for lunch. This looks like Katz in NYC-Institution !
    Love places like that!
    If you have any other idea I am more than happy to Listen!

by riorich55 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Going out of Toledo take Route 2 to Sandusky. You can get a glimpse of The Cedar Point Amusement Park which is in the shores of Lake Erie. I think it still has the most roller coasters of any USA park. It won't be open this time of year, but you might be able to get a glimpse of a popular summer vacation spot for families in the Midwest.

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:48 AM

You mean Cleveland?

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Yep,that one Ter1413..

• jonadab's Profile Photo

by jonadab Online Now Jun 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I agree that Toledo is the obvious place to eat, if that fits with your schedule. (Unless you specifically prefer a small-town atmosphere, that is, but if that were the case, why would you be starting in Detroit and ending up in Cleveland?)

If you could spare most of a day I definitely would have said Cedar Point. It costs a fair bit of money, but there's a reason for that. It's the undisputed roller coaster capital of the world. (Going by raw number of coasters, at 16, it's not clearly all that far ahead of a couple of the other big ones. However, the level of quality is not comparable at all. Cedar Point has four coasters over 200 feet tall and more than half a dozen that broke major world records when they were built. Their first hypercoaster, despite being a really fun ride, is so outclassed by their newer stuff that it routinely has ten-minute lines.)

If you only want to spend an hour or two, though, that's not going to be the way to go.

There are some lake-related things along the edge of Lake Erie, so if you're into lighthouses and stuff you could check into that. The eastern part of the lake is somewhat better, but there's some stuff on the western half too. A lot of people from central Ohio routinely drive up there just to see e.g. Put-in-Bay. (I don't know how long it takes to see Put-in-Bay, as I've not been there personally.)

How far off the turnpike are you willing to go? There are "rest stops" right next to it, which don't even require going through an exit toll booth, but those are not especially exciting. On the other end of the scale, if you drive too many minutes off to the side when you stop, you may as well have taken a different road in the first place. (The turnpike is the fastest way to go, but it's probably only going to save you about fifteen or twenty minutes on this trip, compared to taking other good highways.)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ohio Travel Answer Locations