Östergötlands Län Travel Answers

change location
nani80's Profile Photo

How to get to Vadstena from Stockholm?

by nani80 Online Now Mar 27, 2007 at 3:29 PM

I'm wondering what's the easiest (and the cheapest) way to get from Stockholm to Vadstena? Can you recommend more small towns near Vadstena (or just in Östergötlands Län) worth to visit?
(And if I'm not asking too much, please write a note how to get there.)

Many thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: How to get to Vadstena from Stockholm?

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 29, 2007 at 6:48 AM

You catch a train to either Linköping or Mjölby and then a local bus. Check connection times and bus numbers here:

www.resplus.se

Note that you can buy a ticket for the whole jorney in one go with the train company:

www.sj.se

This is the quickest way, although bus to Linköping from Stockholm would probably end up cheaper unless you have a student card or so:

http://www.swebusexpress.se/

By international standards, ALL towns in Östergötland are small so if you include some of Sweden's biggest cities Linköping and Norrköping in your excursions you have lots to see (Linköping Cathedral, Old Linköping, Air Force Museum, Göta Canal with its boats, Norrköping Industrial Heritage and Museum, Kolmården safari park...).

But if you really look for small towns, Söderköping is a lovely place by Göta Canal. www.soderkoping.se

You can also cross the border to Småland in the south and head for Lake Sommen which has boat trips and so on: www.tranas.se

Near Vadstena, Motala is a lively place in summer as it is where Lake Vättern meets Göta Canal so there is a harbour quarter etc.

Check the first link I gave you for travel details.

There are also places in the middle of the countryside worth seeing such as Rök with its giant Viking runestone, Omberg mountain with its nature and lake views and several famous bird lakes on the plains as well as medieval churches and Medevi Spa.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nani80's Profile Photo

Re: How to get to Vadstena from Stockholm?

by nani80 Online Now Mar 29, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Sjalen, thank you so much for your answer!
    I'll check the link, and also try to find more by myself on the internet...
    I'm sure I'll find a lot of things to see (probably too many for just a few days :))

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Östergötlands Län Travel Answer Locations