Odessa Travel Answers

change location
bwk_michael's Profile Photo

car rental

by bwk_michael Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 5:09 AM

hi there, i would like to rent a car in odessa and do day trips around odessa etc. how good and save are the roads around odessa? how crazy is the traffic police in scaming you for money etc. is it worth driving a car as a tourist around odessa?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

Re: car rental

by taurean_traveller Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

We have been to Odessa many times and in all honesty the only place I know of any car hire is Odessa airport.Others may know more
    If you google Car Hire in Odessa Ukraine,maybe you can find something
    Odessa is a big and very busy city and I would be very nervous of driving there.
    Anybody can be stopped by the police and there is always the possibility of them "finding" something wrong and fining you.
    We had personal experience of this as passengers,back last summer.
    And don't forget that the road signs may be confusing though those indicating other cities are in English
    Would think it far easier if you were able to find somebody who could act as a private taxi (nearly all drivers are private taxis!!) and take you round for the day.If and when you are there ask around but don't be caught out by exhorbitant prices.
    Official taxis are lilkey to be expensive once they know you are foreign.
    For getting around Odessa and the surrounds,the mini buses (marshrutkas)and trams are great fun and so cheap, Odessa is one of my favourite cities and have enjoyed the experiences of going round the town by tram and also visiting the beaches..
    The city centre roads are fairly good but many are not especially in the suburbs.
    There is much to see in the centre.
    There is a big bus station where buses go to all parts and they run regularly and again to me is a good cultral experience.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bwk_michael's Profile Photo

by bwk_michael Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

thanks very much, i guess thats what i am going to do (tram etc)....cheers

• plainnuts's Profile Photo

by plainnuts Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I have driven in Ukraine but would not recommend it. I have gotten out of the police scam by not speaking Russian or Ukrainian. do not try it near Kyiv as they all have a friend who speaks English to tell you how much to pay. A local guide can be found but better to have a friend who speaks Russian to get a better rate. tourists are routinely charged more than double the normal rate. there is a saying about the roads in Ukraine, they have pot holes the size of a mattress.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines