Odense Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Odense...

by lollavid Online Now May 29, 2005 at 11:28 AM

Hi all,
Though this isn't the most active forum, I was hoping to get some help. I am moving to Odense in August and have 2 questions:
1) Where can I find out about a realistic range of prices for an apartment? My wife and I want something with at least a living room, bedroom and office that is nice... and lots of windows! :) Is there a newspaper I can look at or can someone just give me a rough estimate of prices?
2) We are also going to buy a car. My wife is German and I am wondering if it is cheaper to buy in Germany than Denmark?.... this may be a tough question to answer but any help would be great.

okay, if it turns out that I get some responses, I am sure I'll have plenty more questions in the next couple weeks...

thanks!!!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: RE: Moving to Odense...

by chrismo Online Now Jun 1, 2005 at 5:47 AM

The car issue is a bit tricky. Car taxes are very heavy in Denmark. Thus, a car bought in Denmark costs almost three times as much as a car bought in Germany, since cars are taxed 180% registration tax plus 25% VAT (and you also pay VAT on the registration tax!). Likewise, if you choose to import a car from abroad (which is not previously taxed in Denmark), you will have to pay Danish registration tax on the vehicle to get it on Danish licence plates. And finally - a person residing in Denmark cannot drive a car in Denmark on foreign licence plates (to avoid tax fraud).

Because of the high taxes, the net price of new cars is often a bit lower in Denmark than in the surrounding countries, since some car manufacturers give a discount on the net price to keep the price a bit down.

The conclusion is that you can't save anything by buying a car in Germany, actually it will be more expensive and involve a lot of bureaucracy regarding inspection, taxation and licence plates.

If you import your own car or a used car, the situation is similar - you have to pay registration tax (but not VAT if it is your own car or a used cars from the EU) to get Danish licence plates.

There are some workarounds, though: If your stay in Denmark is *temporary* you can get permission to pay the registration tax by instalments. you will have to fill in an application if you wish to do so.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines