Ocho Rios Travel Answers

change location

Sandals Grande Riviera or Jewel Dunn's River?

by Reannon Online Now Mar 2, 2011 at 7:57 PM

My boyfriend and I are going to Ocho Rios in July. I've been looking into both Jewel Dunn's River Resort and Sandals Grande Riviera. At first, I was completely decided on the Jewel, as they have magnificent reviews on EVERYTHING but am a little worried about their lack of nightlife. We're both in our mid 20's and will be looking for more of a party scene then a relaxing one, and Sandals seems the better choice for that. I've read post about taking a shuttle between resorts...how does that work? if I pay all-inslusive at one resort i wont want to pay to drink somewhere else all the time you know? any advice or information much appreciated!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Sandals Grande Riviera or Jewel Dunn's River?

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Well, that's the thing about AIs, - this notion of an almost obligation to stay there, all the bloody time, in order to get your money's worth. Why go all the way to Jamaica, when you can get a Sandals or similar likely much closer. It does not matter much where an AI is located, you will not see much of the country you are visiting. Ir is like going to a theme restaurant. If you have been to The Outback Restaurant, - did you really feel like you were in Australia?

Clearly I am not a fan of AIs, for that very reason. I am also a bit biased as I have lived in Jamaica and visit often. Further the idea of going from resort to resort is crazy as well. There are plenty of outside nightclubs, pubs and bars for great nights out, in Ocho Rios. No need to resort hop, when you can do a pubcrawl in the area.

cometojamaica.com/html/ochor...

10best.com/destinations/jama...

For that matter, you might want to be in Mo Bay (Montego Bay) rather than Ocho Rios, for some serious nightlife. I prefer a good resort that is not an AI, as that gives me the freedome to go where I want to, eat where I want to and party where I want to, without worrying about double paying. But that is just me.

As for the Sandals versus the Jewel, I loath Sandals, it is a generic resort all of whom are exactly alike. It is the elevator music of resorts. The |Jewel is infinately better, with a similar age crowd, - perhaps a bit more savvy at the Jewel.

If you are new to Jamaica, as I said, Mo Bay is probably better for you. The Breezes AI is infinately better than Sandals. So is Secrets

breezes.com/destinations/jam...

breezes.com/destinations/jam...

secretsresorts.com/wildorchi...

Check out the night life in Mo Bay, on the famous "Hip Strip"

gocaribbean.about.com/od/nig...

springbreakjamaica.com/mobay...

http://www.mobay.com/town4.htm

You might even like Negril on the west coast even better. Lots of both AIs and other resorts, plus a nice selection of clubs and pubs.

These are just genreal suggestions. Feel free to ask more specifics on my Jamaica. I will give you plenty of info if you want.

One love! Iree!

If you want to know about fishing in Ocho Rios, I have plenty on that too........d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines