Fishing Rods

by Shelli4216 Online Now Aug 8, 2008 at 7:42 AM

Where can you rent fishing rods for pier fishing? Thank you, Shelli

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Re: Fishing Rods

by GracesTrips Online Now Aug 8, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Oceanside, California? I have lived in SoCal all my life. We used to go fishing off the piers every weekend back in the 60's and early 70's. Nowadays, it's not advisable to eat the fish (if that is your intent) due to the poluted waters and mercury levels in the fish off our coasts.

But...a great alternative (I know several people who do this) is to charter a fishing boat that goes down to San Diego/Mexico waters to fish for tuna. All equipment is provided for you. I think you can do a 1/2 day or all day trip.

I'm sorry I wasn't too helpful but I thought I would fore warn you. Everyone I know who used to fish off the coasts have now turned to trout fishing.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Aug 8, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Oceanside Pier in California is a great fishing pier. One of the longest if not the longest pier at around 1950 feet. There is fishing tackle available on the pier and no license to fish is necessary from the pier. If you are concerned about the pollution then check out the California Health hazard website: http://oehha.ca.gov/fish.html

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Aug 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Larry, the Travelgourmet King, knows his stuff. The OB Pier is the longest pier along the California USA coast, but the new pier in Mexico at the Rosarito Beach Hotel in Baja California, Mexico, is longer.

People fish from the Ocean Beach Pier everyday of the week. There is the "OB Pier Bait & Tackle" shop about half way down the pier and they will rent anything you'll need for a day of fishing as well as give you information about the quality of the waters below.

If you want to read more about it take a look at my Ocean Beach page in the Shopping Tips section.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines