Ocala Travel Answers

change location
grandmaR's Profile Photo

Flying to Florida

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Is there any way to fly to Ocala without going to Orlando and renting a car to drive there? I hate driving in the Orlando area. Is there any nearby airport that would be maybe farther away but easier to drive from/to. Like Jacksonvile, Tampa or Gainesville?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • glabah's Profile Photo

Re: Flying to Florida

by glabah Online Now Dec 26, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Tampa and Jacksonville are both listed as being 102 and 110 miles away, respectively. Both are international airports.

Gainesville Regional is 45 miles away (airport code GNV), and Daytona Beach International is 75 miles away.

There is an Orlando Stanford International Airport that is listed at 10 miles closer to Ocala than Orlando International, if that helps at all.

Local airports listed are Ocala International Airport (airport code OCF) and Leesburg International Airport (airport code LEE). Not sure if either of those have any sort of commercial service to them but they do exist.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 26, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I looked at the Ocala airport but I couldn't find any flights to it and wikipedia says there are no commercial flight. Gainesville does nave some commuter type flights.

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Thank you - the problem is that I would prefer a non-stop and there is no way to get to Gainesville without a transfer.

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 28, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Actually I'm going to be flying from Houston and not Baltimore. But I take your point that it isn't possible to get closer than Orlando without a transfer. I try to avoid transfers where-ever possible because I have mobility issues.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Dec 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

There is also this airport bus service to Ocala:
    tforlando.com/destinations/o...

The only other thing I can think of is fly into Miami, transfer to Amtrak at the Hollywood Amtrak station, and take that up to somewhere closer. Unfortunately the Amtrak "station" at Ocala is actually a bus stop, served by a cross-ticketed bus line. You would probably want to get to Winter Haven or Kissimmee or somewhere that is actually a train station.

This is obviously not an improvement over changing airplanes however, due to having to get local transportation from the Miami Airport to Hollywood and again try to get to Ocala from the nearest point that is actually a train station.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines