Oberammergau Travel Answers

change location
MizBlack's Profile Photo

Oberammergau to neuschwanstein castle

by MizBlack Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I'll be heading to Oberammergau for a day trip this december and would like to also visit neuschwanstein castle thereafter.

I don't drive, so i'm looking at how i can reach neuschwanstein castle through the use of public transport. It seems that there are buses from Oberammergau to neuschwanstein castle however, i cannot seem to get more information about this.

Does anyone have any idea which is the bus which i should take and also the travelling time required?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Oberammergau to neuschwanstein castle

by leics Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I haven't been but the castle website has info on how to get there by bus from Hohenswangau:

neuschwanstein.de/englisch/t...

and if you go to the excellent and reliable:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

and put in 'oberammergau' and hohenswangen (choosing 'Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schlösser)' from the drop-down menu which will appear) you will get journey times (mainly bus, in this case) and details in English. To find the return journey, just put in the names the opposite way round or select 'return' when you first start the search.

Clicking the grey arrow at the side of each departure will expand its info so you can see details of any changes etc.

There are some direct bus departures and some when you will have to change buses en route. Journey time is from around 1h 19m.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM

And clicking on the bus number will bring up a detailed timetable with all the intervening stops shown (I've just discovered that!). :-)

• MizBlack's Profile Photo

by MizBlack Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Thank you for the information. The links are pretty helpful! :)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I think it will be an easy enough journey to do, especially if you take the direct buses. Enjoy! :-)

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM

just to add to the information already given. Many years ago we did a guided bus tour covering the two places and thoroughly enjoyed it. We took Panorama tours from Munich and did both the places that you have mentioned. Bavaria is indeed beautiful and Oberammergau is a must visit.
    have a good trip,

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Hi MizBlack! I have had personal experience doing the route from Oberammergau to Neuschwannstein by bus in March 2009. I took a train from Munich to Oberammergau (there was one transfer point, but how wonderful the scenery!). Then when you get off the train at Ob, there is no station you just jump down and go stand at a bus stop. There are bustimes listed in German on the boards there (and also for Linderhof Castle which is in the area, not to be missed!). I caught a bus from that spot that meandered through a few really tiny towns before seeing Neusch castle in the distance so I knew where to jump off and roughly when. The bus dumps you off at the base of the driveway up to the castle itself, and past the hotels you can stay in. From Ob to Neusch, it took maybe 2 hours or so? but i do believe I used that bahn website that's been provided for you, I just wanted to give you a heads up of what to expect. Oh and there will likely be 1 transfer point between Ob & Neusch, and the waiting time is maybe 25 mins tops. Loved it! Great countryside! :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 2:44 PM

In case that you dont want to just see the Neuschwanstein castle from OUTside, but like to see the INside as well, start with Neuschwanstein early in the morning and spend the rest of the day in Oberammergau !
    First thing, when you arrive at the castle-carparking: RUSH to the central ticket-office there and get a ticket for Neuschwanstein and maybe also Hohenschwangau (=very close and tickets are easy to get)!
    No tickets available AT the castles, ONLY at the big parking-lot!!!
    In Neuschwanstein you have to book a guided tour with a long waitingtime for it (and might use this to visit the other castle and the waterfall etc).
    In the afternoon you will hardly ever get a ticket for a tour and when you come there late in the morning, all you will get is a tour in the late afternoon...
    ---
    So rush to Neuschwanstein, get a ticket and when some time is left over, spend it in Oberammergau, that never "closes" because you mainly just walk around there.
    Ettal might also be a good place for a stop, close to Oberammergau

1 member found this helpful

• MizBlack's Profile Photo

by MizBlack Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up everyone. Sounds like it might be better if i head over to Neuschwanstein followed by Oberammergau.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines