Oberammergau Travel Answers

change location
dags111's Profile Photo

Oberammergau to Linderhof at 830am, Taxi ?

by dags111 Online Now Mar 15, 2008 at 7:39 PM

I will be in Munich for 5 weeks from late April & looking at doing a daytrip to Oberammergau, Ettal & Linderhof by train & bus. This will be either a weekend or public holiday (business trip, so will be working the other days), so I'm trying to avoid getting to Linderhof at the busiest time of day, but the limited bus service makes it difficult.
Ideally, I would get the early train from Munich, arrive Oberammergau 820am & go straight to Linderhof (somehow), get the 11am bus from Linderhof to Ettal, look around & have lunch & get the 2pm bus to Oberammergau & look around for an hour or 2 before heading back to Munich. I'm wondering is it possible to get a taxi from Oberammergau to Linderhof. If so, how hard to find a taxi & how much would it cost aproximately. Any other options to get to Linderhof at 830am. Hitchhike maybe ? Thought about hiring a bike, but I haven't ridden for 30 years, so maybe not.
Steve

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

Re: Oberammergau to Linderhof at 830am, Taxi ?

by lostsooner55 Online Now Mar 15, 2008 at 10:49 PM

As I told you I would when you posted previously, I contacted the Garmisch-Partenkirchen Tourist Office: (www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de) on these matters. They did reply. I'm assuming you already have the RVO bus web link: (www.rvo-bus.de). On Saturday, Sundays, and holidays, the busses to Linderhof do not run until after 12 Noon. I also asked for, and received, a list of tour operators in the Garmisch area. The two that have websites: (1) www.bus-biersack.com, & (2) www.weiss-blau-reisen.de. The other 2 options I can think of are renting a car in Munich, or Garmisch, if available. There is also the possibility of a train-bus combination from Munich to Linderhof, or Munich-Ettal, as well. You might be able to plug-in an RVO bus connection somehow to make things work. It's 12:45 AM, so I probably need to go. Gary

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

by lostsooner55 Online Now Mar 15, 2008 at 11:19 PM

It honestly would be much simpler to see if you can find a tour operator from Munich that will visit all 3 areas on one tour. I haven't found one yet, but that means little. Finding tours that do 2 of the 3 areas is fairly easy. The tour groups have a "scheduled" time they will tour the castle. They don't buy tickets there, or generally wait in line. The tour of the inside of the castle will the same whether you do a tour, or travel on your own. You cannot take photos inside the castle. On the tour, you will be back in Munich at a pretty specific time. On your own, you will be totally at the whims of the crowd of tourists. Gary

• dags111's Profile Photo

by dags111 Online Now Mar 16, 2008 at 1:01 AM

thanks for that. I really hate organised tours, so have decided on planB. Will arrive Oberammergau 830, look around for an hour & then hike the 5km to Ettal. Look around, have lunch & get the 2pm bus to Linderhof & either 1506 or 1635 bus back to Oberammergau.
    Steve

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Mar 17, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Would you consider spending a weekend in Garmisch as there are regional buses to those places and Garmisch has a lot more to see than Oberammergau. The regional buses leave from the front of the Garmisch train station, there are several each day to Oberammergau and Ettal and 1 per day to Linderhof. This area of Bavaria is beautiful and even the train from Munich to Garmisch is very scenic.

• Re: Oberammergau to Linderhof at 830am, Taxi ?

by yostwl Online Now Mar 28, 2008 at 7:47 AM

Hi, Steve. Is there any reason you can't rent a car? Driving is very easy in that part of Germany and would be a lot faster and more flexible as the public transport options tend to be limited--as you have found out already. We enjoyed making unscheduled stops at places that looked interesting on our drive from Munich to Hohenschwangau via Oberammergau and Linderhof a couple of years ago.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines