Oaxaca de Juárez

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• information

by records1945 Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

are there a lot of american stores in oaxaca?

1 Answer Apr 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    • Friends of Bill W

by stewbear Online Now Dec 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Looking for meetings in Oaxaca city in English for "Friends of Bill W". Will be there February 9 to March 11.

2 Answers Dec 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    • mutie's Profile Photo

airline tickets

by mutie Online Now Nov 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I wondered if airline tickets are available cheaper when purchasing in Oaxaca than let's say on Aeromexico's website? I want to fly from Oaxaca to Los Mochis on December 2 and don't know if the prices will keep rising as the date approaches or are there steady ticket prices to be had at local agencies in Oaxaca? Thanks, JQ

2 Answers Nov 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    • fachd's Profile Photo

Travel by bus/ferry

by fachd Online Now Jul 15, 2013 at 3:24 AM

I will be based in Oaxaca some time this year. I am looking to visit Cancun. Has anyone used bus travel to make this trip. I would appreciate any information (the cost, the best reliable bus company, how long is the journey etc) you may have. I also understand it is possible to take a ferry from Cancun to Havana, has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance

2 Answers Jul 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    • Looking for a house from 6/25/10-8/25/10

by WChorneau Online Now Dec 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM

My wife and I are going to be in Oaxaca de Juarez from about 6/25/11 for two months and are looking for a house to rent anywhere within walking distance from the Zocalo or near Jalatlaco. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to locate a house? Thanks all.

5 Answers May 1, 2011 at 5:00 AM
    • Getting from here to there

by Atriportwo Online Now Jan 9, 2010 at 9:05 AM

My husband and I are in Oaxaca de Juarez. We plan to go to Hualtulco and understand there are van services between here and there. Does anyone know where they are located within the city. Or, does anyone have a local phone number we could call?

Thanks,
      Suzanne

1 Answer Jan 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    • Camera Sales in Oaxaca city?

by luciferdroot Online Now Oct 2, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I will be in Oaxaca shortly and need to purchase a low end dslr (preferably Canon) or high end point and shoot. Can anyone recommend a decent camera store or even a discount electronic place with a selection?
      Thanks,
      Lucifer

1 Answer Oct 2, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    • loutaoyang's Profile Photo

Basic Apartment Near Zocalo?

by loutaoyang Online Now May 11, 2008 at 4:12 PM

I'm looking for a basic apartment/studio (bed, bath w/ hot water, kitchen) for Oct 22 - Nov 5. I would prefer something economical within 2 to 4 blocks of the zocalo. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
      Victoria

1 Answer Jun 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    • mikepapas's Profile Photo

Prices in Oaxaca....

by mikepapas Online Now Apr 28, 2008 at 1:17 PM

This year we went to the Puerto Vallarta area and found it VERY expensive. Almost the same prices as at home in the US for restaurants and hotels.

Are thing cheaper in Oaxaca ? there is less motivation to go to Mexico if it's going to cost so much !

Thanks

2 Answers May 5, 2008 at 11:06 AM
    • sbblume's Profile Photo

December Trip to Oaxaca Planned

by sbblume Online Now May 14, 2007 at 9:54 AM

My husband & I are going to be in Oaxaca de Juarez the first two weeks of December, 2007. This is to be an exploratory trip in preparation for my retirement in a couple years. What should we plan to see? We'd like to meet some people who have retired there. Anyone interested? We'll have a rental car, is that a good idea? Would like to spend a couple nights here and there, not all in one place but all within hollering distance of the city.

4 Answers Oct 24, 2007 at 3:21 PM
    • loutaoyang's Profile Photo

Casa Pereyra on Independcia?

by loutaoyang Online Now Apr 18, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Does anyone know if Casa Pereyra on Independencia (across from the Basilica) had to close due to all the earlier protests? I have reservations for the fall, but I just noticed their website is gone. I can only locate a generic page on mexonline.com.

If you've been to Oax recently or live there, I would greatly appreciate an update on this hotel if you happen to know anything. But I really hope it's still open.

Thank you,
      Victoria

1 Answer Apr 20, 2007 at 6:56 AM
    • pregunta

by gaby31 Online Now Dec 24, 2006 at 12:37 PM

tengo una foto bien antigua de fiero como puedo mandar la foto para que me puedan decir quien son ellos....gracias

2 Answers Jan 3, 2007 at 8:17 AM
    • Christmas in Oaxaca

by mccourt Online Now Sep 26, 2006 at 3:02 PM

We would like to travel to Oaxaca for Christmas, But we are a bit concerned about the security risk and heath facilities there. We have been to many remote places in the world, regardless of travel warnings etc. But we always check them out first thru venues such as travel forums etc.

Thanks in advance
      Diana & Malachy McCourt

5 Answers Oct 24, 2006 at 6:39 AM
    • susiemargare's Profile Photo

casa san felipe hotel

by susiemargare Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 11:10 PM

hi --

i am staying at this hotel from sept 30 thru oct 7. i am a little nervous, having read about the recent uproar, but i really don't want to cancel my trip. can someone tell me where this hotel is located relative to the zocalo? is it in an area that will be in the middle of the crowds?

thanks -- susie margaret

3 Answers Oct 28, 2006 at 5:58 PM
    • gomexico's Profile Photo

Warning Issued for traveling to Oaxaca

by gomexico Online Now Aug 10, 2006 at 2:36 PM

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico has now issued a warning to travelers visiting Oaxaca or intending to do so - as a result of the escalating protests/violence. Here's the text:

"August 8, 2006

Warden Notice Regarding Demonstrations in Oaxaca City, Oaxaca

The U.S. Embassy advises its citizens in Oaxaca to avoid demonstrations being held by teachers and students. In recent weeks, the Teacher’s Union Groups have held demonstrations throughout the city of Oaxaca. Local media have reported vandalism, arrests, and injuries as a result of the ongoing confrontations. U.S. citizens in the vicinity are encouraged to avoid large crowds in the Oaxaca area. All persons are encouraged to remain in their homes or hotels, and to avoid downtown Oaxaca and surrounding areas during active demonstrations. Because striking teachers reportedly may attempt to close local airport facilities and the main highway linking Mexico City and Oaxaca, U.S. citizens in the area are advised to monitor local news reports and to contact their airline to confirm flight information.

We wish to remind U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any protests. Since the timing and routes of marches and demonstrations are always subject to change, U.S. citizens should monitor local media sources for new developments."

6 Answers Oct 20, 2006 at 10:16 PM
    • rutamaya's Profile Photo

Cheap Hotel In Oaxaca for a group....

by rutamaya Online Now Jun 6, 2006 at 11:15 PM

Any one have some information on cheap hotels for a Group in Oaxaca. any recomentations and websites.

Thanks.

2 Answers Jun 7, 2006 at 5:03 PM
    • atufft's Profile Photo

Need cheap place in best part of town...

by atufft Online Now May 18, 2006 at 8:33 AM

I note that the VT pages only show Holiday Inn Express. Is there a hostel or other reasonably cheap, but safe and clean place to stay near the zocalo?

• oaxaca city apartment. Anybody know one?

by pinelo Online Now Mar 18, 2006 at 8:05 PM

Do you know a good furnished apartment in Oaxaca?

Regards,
      Brian A.

3 Answers May 8, 2006 at 2:07 PM

huichol art

by susiemargare Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 12:06 PM

hi --

are there any local markets or in-person exhibitions in or around oaxaca where it is possible to see and/or purchase huichol art? i especially like the yarn paintings.

thanks for any info.

-- susie margaret

3 Answers May 9, 2006 at 4:55 PM

festivals/events in oaxaca in october?

by susiemargare Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 11:20 AM

hi --

i will be in oaxaca from sept 30-oct 7. are there any festivals or special events happening at that time?

thanks for any info.

-- susie margaret

beaches near oaxaca?

by susiemargare Online Now Jan 20, 2006 at 9:08 PM

hi --

i saw one tip that seemed to suggest that there are beaches in (?) or near oaxaca. is this so? if there are some, how far away are they from downtown?

please forgive my ignorance. i've scheduled a week's trip to oaxaca for the beginning of october but know hardly anything about it yet!

thanks -- susie margaret

5 Answers May 15, 2006 at 9:16 AM
    • Place to stay in Oaxaca

by aamir9 Online Now Jan 5, 2006 at 12:12 PM

Hi all!

I am recently hired English teacher living here in Oaxaca- for the time being in hostels. I am looking for an affordable (that is to say on a meager teacher's salary of about400/month) place to live. I would be happy to share and apt or house/ or even rent a room. Any advice of suggestion would be much appreciated!

-Aamir
      aamir1234@gmail.com

• Marie-France's Profile Photo

Solo female traveller wants to meet VTers in Oaxaca

by Marie-France Online Now Dec 31, 2005 at 3:52 PM

Hi. I'll be in the city of Oaxaca from January 18 to 25, on a solo vacation. If anyone else will be there at the same time and would like to meet, let me know. I think evenings would be better as I'll be out and about during the days (what with all the attractions around the city!). Cheers!

12 Answers Jan 22, 2008 at 8:13 AM
    • chris_i79's Profile Photo

Near Oaxaca

by chris_i79 Online Now Oct 3, 2005 at 7:49 PM

How far is the beach from Oaxaca?

2 Answers Oct 3, 2005 at 10:33 PM
    • saustrup's Profile Photo

To Rent Or Not To Rent, That Is The Question

by saustrup Online Now Apr 25, 2005 at 11:00 AM

My wife and I plan to visit Oaxaca the last 10 days of May and are debating whether to rent a car for 5-7 days to visit Monte Alban, Tule, Mitla, and other outlying areas. Money is not the biggest issue. We were wondering whats the overall best, most convienent, most fun way to get around in the Oaxaca area.

Thanks,

Arne

4 Answers Apr 27, 2005 at 10:53 AM
    • p.m. Aerotucan flight from Oaxaca to Huatulco

by imdunwithlouie Online Now Mar 8, 2005 at 3:17 PM

My family (husband and 2 children ages 5 and 7) and I are hoping to contract a charter flight with Aerotucan in the afternoon on Saturday, March 26. Aerotucan will schedule a "private" flight for just the 4 of us, but will schedule another "regular" flight if 4 other adults request the flight as well. If anyone is interested in flying from Oaxaca to Huatulco in the afternoon rather than the morning of the 26th, please contact either me or Aerotucan as soon as possible.

I can be directly contacted at imdunwithlouie@hotmail.com

Thanks,

• living and working

by finbar67 Online Now Feb 24, 2005 at 9:02 AM

Did anyone notice the obvious mistake on my fist message. Of course i meant Oaxaca not Caracas, i think my imagination must be running away with itself.

Cheers Finbar.

• living and working

by finbar67 Online Now Feb 23, 2005 at 1:11 PM

I thinking of moving To Caracas in September with my Colombian wife, and was wondering if anybody had any info about how easy it is to get work there, as my finances mean i can't afford the luxury of being a man of leisure. I've worked as an English teacher before, worked in bars etc, my Spanish is pretty good but not quite perfect. Any info on volunteering would also be handy. Also any info on cheap apartments, working visas etc would be very useful and appreciated. any websites would be lovely. Cheers Finbar

• Lodging in Oaxaca?

by Capeta Online Now Jan 22, 2005 at 2:24 PM

Hi - I was hoping someone could recommend a nice, laid-back place, maybe a B&B, to stay in Oaxaca City. I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive, but doesn't have to be super-cheap. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks so much!

2 Answers Mar 18, 2006 at 8:09 PM
    • road to oaxaca

by dcfan Online Now Jan 20, 2005 at 4:56 PM

Is the toll road from Mexico City to Oaxaca particularly windy or prone to inducing nausea? I had a few dizzying rides so far, and don't want to get into a 6 hour ride of curves and dizziness. Has anyone done the trip that can testify as to how straight or non-straight the road is?

3 Answers May 9, 2005 at 5:10 PM