Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Answers

change location
sbblume's Profile Photo

December Trip to Oaxaca Planned

by sbblume Online Now May 14, 2007 at 9:54 AM

My husband & I are going to be in Oaxaca de Juarez the first two weeks of December, 2007. This is to be an exploratory trip in preparation for my retirement in a couple years. What should we plan to see? We'd like to meet some people who have retired there. Anyone interested? We'll have a rental car, is that a good idea? Would like to spend a couple nights here and there, not all in one place but all within hollering distance of the city.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • melosh's Profile Photo

Re: December Trip to Oaxaca Planned

by melosh Online Now May 14, 2007 at 8:31 PM

In general, I do not recommend renting a car for a brief stay. The risks, potential hassles, and expense are not worth it. It is so easy and cheap to take buses and taxis or to just hire a car with a driver for the days when you want one, I do not see that it makes much sense because the convenience of having your own vehicle means the inconvenience of finding parking, etc. and the strain of driving Mexican roads. (See tips) But if you are planning to have a car in Mexico during retirement, it might be worth the rental just to get part of an idea of how it could be. (It won't clue you into the hassles of importation and licensing.)

I actually have thought that Oaxaca might be a good place for retirement. I do not think the ex-patriot retirement community is too large and the lack of heavy industry means the air is pretty good. I did meet several people at a benefit dinner while visiting one Christmas and they were very happy.

Going before Christmas should give you a more normal impression of the city, but Christmas in Oaxaca is very very special.

You should be aware that during the last year there has been significant social strife in the City and State of Oaxaca. (Over 12 people died during protests and strikes.) You should try to follow the news (San Diego paper online and the International Herald are two pretty good English sources.) between now and your visit so as to be fully informed of any new risks. At this time I would say that you are good to go. bob melosh

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sbblume's Profile Photo

by sbblume Online Now May 16, 2007 at 7:24 AM

Melosh, Thanks for your answer. How much time did you spend in Oaxaca? What time of year? When? Do you have any contacts who live there? (sbblume@juno.com is ok to reply)

• SpanishTeacherOaxaca's Profile Photo

by SpanishTeacherOaxaca Online Now Jul 19, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Hi,
    You can meet some of the people who have retired at "Lending Library". There are people from the United States and Canada

• sbblume's Profile Photo

by sbblume Online Now Oct 24, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I haven't been back to Virtual Tourist in a long, long time so just saw your July posting.

Is the "Lending Library" an actual place in Oaxaca or is it a virtual place on the internet?

We made a contact with a gentleman names Max Uhler who is a retiree from the US living in Oaxaca and we have corresponded extensively. He found us a place to stay while we are there in December. He lives about 5 blocks east of the Zocalo. Where do you live? What is your background?

I am 69 and plan to retire in another year and we think we will move to Oaxaca then. This trip is to explore and see if we really like it there!

My email is: sbblume@bellsouth.net and you can reply there if you like.

Sandy Blume

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines