Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Answers

change location
susiemargare's Profile Photo

casa san felipe hotel

by susiemargare Online Now Aug 17, 2006 at 11:10 PM

hi --

i am staying at this hotel from sept 30 thru oct 7. i am a little nervous, having read about the recent uproar, but i really don't want to cancel my trip. can someone tell me where this hotel is located relative to the zocalo? is it in an area that will be in the middle of the crowds?

thanks -- susie margaret

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • gomexico's Profile Photo

RE: casa san felipe hotel

by gomexico Online Now Aug 22, 2006 at 9:41 PM

Develop a "Plan B" in the even the current massive disruptions and violence in Oaxaca continue. Personally, I'd choose a different destionation . . . this trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: casa san felipe hotel

by jmsvirtual Online Now Oct 24, 2006 at 10:09 PM

Did you end up staying at Casa San Felipe Hostal in Oaxaca? I am thinking of staying there in March (hopefully the strike will be settle by then), and would like to know about the quality, cleanliness and neighborhood. Any info appreciated.

Thanks

• susiemargare's Profile Photo

casa san felipe hotel

by susiemargare Online Now Oct 28, 2006 at 5:58 PM

hi --

yes, i stayed at the casa san felipe hotel. be sure that we are talking about the same place -- i was at xicotencatl #212 in central oaxaca. i believe that there is another hotel with a similar name, but it is in the suburbs.

the hotel is lovely. the rooms are very nicely furnished, although a bit short on storage space, and the people who work there are extremely nice, friendly, and generally a pleasure to be around. the senora who manages things speaks english, but the other workers do not, so consider yourself warned. however, everyone responds to even rudimentary spanish.

they have maid service every day, very conscientious.

they do NOT cash traveler's checks or change dollars to pesos; however, there are casas de cambio (money-changing places) everywhere, and banks also.

the hotel does not have a restaurant, but there are many restaurants downtown, esp at the zocalo (main square).

the hotel is about four or five blocks from the zocalo. i would recommend it highly to anyone.

i am certain that things will have been resolved by march. there were many people hanging around, selling crafts, meeting, etc., at the zocalo when i was there, but things have deteriorated in the last few days, and i understand that the zocalo is now practically deserted except for the people who defend the traffic barricades at night.

oaxaca and its environs are lovely. don't miss monte alban, a zapotec ruins from 1,500 BC (if i am remembering correctly). i will be posting entries on oaxaca on my virtual tourist pages in the next several weeks, so maybe you can check those while you are getting ready for your trip.

-- in traveling solidarity -- susie margaret

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines