Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Answers

change location
gomexico's Profile Photo

Warning Issued for traveling to Oaxaca

by gomexico Online Now Aug 10, 2006 at 2:36 PM

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico has now issued a warning to travelers visiting Oaxaca or intending to do so - as a result of the escalating protests/violence. Here's the text:

"August 8, 2006

Warden Notice Regarding Demonstrations in Oaxaca City, Oaxaca

The U.S. Embassy advises its citizens in Oaxaca to avoid demonstrations being held by teachers and students. In recent weeks, the Teacher’s Union Groups have held demonstrations throughout the city of Oaxaca. Local media have reported vandalism, arrests, and injuries as a result of the ongoing confrontations. U.S. citizens in the vicinity are encouraged to avoid large crowds in the Oaxaca area. All persons are encouraged to remain in their homes or hotels, and to avoid downtown Oaxaca and surrounding areas during active demonstrations. Because striking teachers reportedly may attempt to close local airport facilities and the main highway linking Mexico City and Oaxaca, U.S. citizens in the area are advised to monitor local news reports and to contact their airline to confirm flight information.

We wish to remind U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any protests. Since the timing and routes of marches and demonstrations are always subject to change, U.S. citizens should monitor local media sources for new developments."

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • mikarov99's Profile Photo

RE: Warning Issued for traveling to Oaxaca

by mikarov99 Online Now Aug 11, 2006 at 2:43 AM

Today one protester was killed by unknown people, the situation are going dangerous for the Tourists.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • spitball's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Warning Issued for traveling to Oaxaca

by spitball Online Now Oct 17, 2006 at 11:43 PM

Okay, it's now October 17th, 2006. I'd like to know what, if any pertinant information concerning any continued violence. Is there still the same situation here? Should one by-pass this city & think of another for their visit. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

by TheLongTone Online Now Oct 18, 2006 at 12:11 AM

As abrit I use www.fco.gov.uk for their advice, if it's actually lif & limb dangerous ther'll head you off. Have other links. Lots of news websites obviously. The BBC has covered this. Think I first read about it at aljazeera, though.

• spitball's Profile Photo

by spitball Online Now Oct 18, 2006 at 12:32 AM

Thankyou Antony, since I posted that, I've searched some more.

• gomexico's Profile Photo

by gomexico Online Now Oct 20, 2006 at 7:59 PM

The situation is probably a bit more dangerous now than before, with the extremists using rocket propelled explosives and generally becoming more violent. The military is poised for a martial law situation when given the go-ahead by the President. But, the extremists have overplayed their hand and the Mexican Senate has refused to give-in to their demands/extortion - and, tomorrow, the "teachers" who started the strike activity are set to vote on returning to the classroom - emptyhanded. So, I still think Oaxaca should be avoided by tourists who've not been there before and who don't know their way around - but there might be hopeful signs to a winding-down of the violence if the teachers return to work soon.

• mikarov99's Profile Photo

RE: Warning Issued for traveling to Oaxaca

by mikarov99 Online Now Oct 20, 2006 at 10:16 PM

i don't think so, the APPO was threated to the Teachers if they go to work

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines