Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Answers

change location
susiemargare's Profile Photo

huichol art

by susiemargare Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 12:06 PM

hi --

are there any local markets or in-person exhibitions in or around oaxaca where it is possible to see and/or purchase huichol art? i especially like the yarn paintings.

thanks for any info.

-- susie margaret

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • wifi_mx's Profile Photo

RE: huichol art

by wifi_mx Online Now Mar 16, 2006 at 5:01 PM

I don't know about huichol art
    but, i know that in Mitla, which you
    must visit, there is a tapestry local
    market, and other wood, cotton, products
    if you are interested.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • susiemargare's Profile Photo

mitla

by susiemargare Online Now Mar 19, 2006 at 9:21 AM

hi --

thanks. i will plan to visit mitla. i love woven things.

-- susie margaret

• fused's Profile Photo

RE: RE: huichol art

by fused Online Now May 9, 2006 at 4:55 PM

oaxaca-travel.com/guide/inde...

A good resource for someone who has never been here before. Yes, there are many markets wher textiles and weaving are available in great abundance in the City. You can read about them on the site that I have given you. It´s run by the Mexican government, but it is quite good and accurate. It gave me a real feeling for Oaxaca before I first came here.

I´m sure that the oaxaca travel guide link will tell you about the Casa Mujeres (Women´s House), but what you should know is that this is an organization that brings crafts people of all types, including weavers, into the city to a central location where they practice, refine and learn new methods in their crafts. At the main location, you can watch them working and ask them questions. Around the corner is a huge 3 story building where their work is available for sale, at very fair prices.

You might find something similar in the market for slightly less, but you really have to know what you are doing to buy in the markets. Some goods are imported, some machine made instead of produced on the traditional back-strap looms.

If you would like any more information, or just to chat about Oaxaca send me an e-mail at: fusedmax@gmail.com

Good luck on your travels, I look forward to meeting you in the Zocallo some day.

Max Uhler

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines