Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Answers

change location

road to oaxaca

by dcfan Online Now Jan 20, 2005 at 4:56 PM

Is the toll road from Mexico City to Oaxaca particularly windy or prone to inducing nausea? I had a few dizzying rides so far, and don't want to get into a 6 hour ride of curves and dizziness. Has anyone done the trip that can testify as to how straight or non-straight the road is?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • melosh's Profile Photo

Re: road to oaxaca

by melosh Online Now Jan 24, 2005 at 10:29 AM

I have waited in responding hoping someone with more recent experience would answer your question and maybe someone still will, but let me give you what I have experienced. I have made the trip twice. Once certainly before the toll road and once about 8 years ago. I remembered the first trip 30 years ago for its twists and turns preventing any sleep, and hoped the second trip would be better. Our bus supposedly took the toll road and it was still quite a ride. Perhaps it was better and my age was a factor in my tolerance, but our kids did not enjoy the night either. Going by night was probably a mistake because the twists kept waking us up. None of us had any nausea or dizziness. The curving area is not 6 hours now. Maybe only 3 hours or so. I have heard that the views are spectacular. I also remember many years ago a similar bad night bus ride from Oaxaca south. These were two of the worst night bus trips of my life. Go by day. Have you considered a Scopalamine patch? Bob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: road to oaxaca

by pelon Online Now Mar 17, 2005 at 10:41 AM

I drove that road about a year ago, and the road is a very good road, not really straight, because you're driving through some mountains, but not a narrow, winding road. We made it from Mexico to Oaxaca in about 6 hours, as I recall, and that included a stop in Puebla for lunch. Tolls were around 300 pesos, one way.

• theNics's Profile Photo

RE: RE: road to oaxaca

by theNics Online Now May 9, 2005 at 5:10 PM

I did this trip just today. After traveling on very bumpy roads around the world, this felt like flying, just with a better view. Honestly, it's a very smooth trip, just a bit expensive :-/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines